I Don't Know Anyone Who Wakes Up and is Suddenly Able to Do Things They Haven't Before (including, but not limited to, giving physics the middle finger)

So similiar, yet so different.

-

"What the hell was that for! You could've killed me!" His angry words came at me with a book. It smacked into the shelf behind me and fell to the floor.
I grinned. "But it didn't!"
I picked up the book as Colibris threw another at me - I caught it this time around. "Hey! You know how much Marcene likes Duerr! Don't go throwing it around!"
"You're the dumbass who made me do it. You tried to kill me by pushing over a bookshelf!" Coli had his arms full of books. One had closed on the dark hem of his shirt and he pulled it away.
"Oh hush! I would never!" I teased, setting the books down on a chair. Around us, the library was a mess from Yo's recent tantrum. She was off getting scolded by a teacher, while we were stuck with cleaning up.
I suddenly got an idea - because Yomi had used wind magics, couldn't we just undo it? I looked at my palm and then clenched it into a fist.
"Time can shove it! Coli, I'm gonna do something stupid!" I climbed onto the chair, kicking the books off. I then lunched for Coli, grabbing his wrist and sending his books onto the floor too.
"What are you doing now?!" He tried to pry me off, to no avail. My other hand, the fist, now glowed. This had never happened before, had it?
"Oja secare vuelao y qua feua!"
At my yell, I was frozen mid-lunge. I could see Coli's wide eyes and open mouth also frozen as time stopped. The books he'd been holding were in mid-air, their pages open cover to cover. In the doorway, Marcene stood, eyes fixtated on what was going on.
As we were stuck in the stand-still, the books and she shelves around us rearranged themselves. Books flew back to their places, spilled ink on a desk returned to the inkwell, bookmarks slid back into their places in closed books. The world around us moved while we were stuck, mired in air where we'd been as I'd said the spell.
It was over just as quickly. Colibris tumbled down ontop of me, onto the clean floor beneath us. Everything in my body ached and it was a struggle to pull myself up.
"What the hell did you do?!" Coli's eyes were panicked. "Did you just rewrite the laws of time?! You can't do that!"
"I..I did?! It just came out!" I was as surprised as he was. I pulled myself up using the clean bookshelves - everything had gone back to how it had been before Yo's big fight earler. As I stood up, someone else was marching in. I recognized those footsteps - Kjelle!
"Hey, teach! We finished cle-" I looked up, a happy grin on my face. The professor's face was the most pissed-off I'd ever seen.
"What have you done, Malphas?!"

Abriatis

NY

More by Abriatis

• i am me.

it's 12am on nine-eleven-twenty-twenty.
    my name is rowan, and i am eighteen.
    i have struggled. i have cried. i did not think i'd make it this far.
    i did not think i'd do half the things i have.
  • nine-eleven

to think that i will be a legal adult tomorrow.
    i could vote. i could buy fish at petsmart.
    i could apply to places like aldi's and tractor supply.

my birthday, for me, has always been tinged with sadness.
  • placidity

i watch the numbers tick up.
    i read the headlines.
    suny oneonta shuts down for the semester -
    six hundred cases.

i go outside.
    i see the masks, worn properly or not.
    the spraying of hand sanitizer,