Caramel Swirl

“Your one of them, aren’t you?” He asked me.
“Excuse me?” I answered knowing exactly what he meant.
“ We don’t wan’t you here. All you bring is trouble.” 
“ What have I ever done to you” I responded.
“You know what I mean. You know you dads a drug dealer and your moms a prostitute. Don’t deny it. You should be ashamed of who you are.”

At the time, I was. I didn’t want to be Latina and Hispanic. I wanted to throw my ethnicity out like the trash in the morning. I wanted to bleach my skin so people wouldn’t know that I’m not white. I wanted to straighten my hair so no one would see that I have naturally curly long dark hair.

I wanted to, and sometimes I still do.

I was once told that you need to know who you are in order to learn who other people are. But how can I do that when the person I am doesn’t fit in.

I have darker skin, I eat different food, I have brown eyes and dark curly hair. That’s who I am. I may be the caramel swirl in a vanilla candy, but that doesn’t mean I don’t taste good.

We’re all people so why do I get looked at different, why do I have to make way for them, why? I guess somethings just can’t be answered. 

Cloudy Fantasies

More by Cloudy Fantasies

• DEPRESSION

Depression. What is it? What causes it? Why am I suffering? I feel like I’m drowning in a pool of sorrow. Im lost in a maze of fog. Depression. It eats me from the inside. Depression.