The Mask that is Adrian Cole

I feel like I was particularly mature when I went by the name of Adrian Cole. Of course I would since it was the name on my fake ID. Living alone I needed a cover story to show that I was the adult age of 18 instead of the 16 year old child I actually was. I’ve had suspicious looks thrown my way and I’ve had neighbors call the police and report me as a runaway, which I was but this is besides the point. That name gave me a power that I didn’t possess on my own and I drunk on it. My true self is young, wimpy, and fragile but Adrian Cole is older, popular and strong. If the truth ever leaked, I would be sent to a boy’s home faster than I could even blink. I haven’t even told my friends, well Adrian’s friends. I am nothing while Adrian is everything. The illusion of Adrian keeps me supported while my own true self crumbles away. I am becoming Adrian piece by piece and I am scared. He is better than me in practically every way, but I don’t want my true self to disappear. Soon his brilliant shine will snuff out the little lightning bug that I am. He is only a mask, not strong enough to survive on his own. If I am to be erased then he will soon dull and crumbled away into oblivion with me. I need Adrian as much as he needs me. I wish things were different. I wish we were brothers who support each other instead of masks that hide each other. I wish we were friends instead of rivals in a desperate fight for control.

cmhemingwa

More by cmhemingwa

• My Thoughts on Death

The concept of death is frightening to me but not in the way that it is for most people and it may make me sound callous or just cold, but I’m not scared of death itself exactly.
  • Modern Lord of the Flies

“At least we don’t have to wear uniforms anymore.” he says with a resigning sigh. The boys around him nodding along in agreement, stripping off what remains of their former uniforms, leaving them in only their cotton underpants.