First Day of Kindergarten

FIRST DAY OF KINDERGARTEN SCHEDULE
1. I wake up, very nervous and a little excited
2. I put on the new dress I got yesterday
3. I brush my teeth
4. I eat only part of my breakfast - My tummy has butterflies
5. Mom carries me to the car and we drive to my new school
6. I cling to Mom's leg as she drags me into the big red building
7. We walk into my new classroom and I see other kids clinging to their parents, too
8. A lady walks up to us and introduces herself: "I'm Ms. Mackey, I'll be your Kindergarten teacher!"
9. My mom smiles and shakes Ms. Mackey's hand. I hide behind her
10. Mom crouches down beside me and tells me she has to go to work and that she loves me very much
11. I erupt in tears and hold mom's leg as tight as possible
12. Ms. Mackey pulls me off Mom's leg and tries to comfort me
13. I'm not paying attention to Ms. Mackey, though. I'm paying attention to Mom's car driving away
14. The second round of tears threatens to burst behind my eyes
15. Ms. Mackey notices my sad face and tells me that Mom's gonna come back at 3:00
16. I prepare myself to watch the clock all day long
17. But, as the day goes on, I find myself having fun and making new friends and I totally forget about the clock
18. At the end of the day when mom comes back, I run up to her and tell her about how awesome my day was
19. I see Mom and Ms. Mackey share a smile before Mom and I go out to our car
20. I sit in the backseat, thinking of different ways to tell Dad how amazing my day was

InezL

More by InezL

• storm

The wind came from my grandmother.
    Her wind skipped my mother, but it didn't skip me.
    I was riding in the back of my mother's car. She was running away from my Grami and her wind, but not toward anything.
  • The Dream

I walk upstairs and sit down at my desk. I stare down at its contents: uncompleted math homework, my book club book, textbooks and broken pencils. My backpack hangs from a hook on the wall and my laptop lays closed on my bed.