The Blueprint of Social Justice

What is a blueprint, exactly? Is it a tinted piece of vellum, or a map laying out the steps to take in order to be successful? Is it formulas and a handful of nuts and bolts, or is it simply a visualized Candyland board with no shortcuts and no winning rainbow square at King Kandy’s castle?

Most people will happily live their lives without ever thinking about the answers to these questions. I am not one of those people. I am one of the people who will turn these questions every which way in my head and still struggle to come up with a definitive answer.

I do not think I will ever be able to stand in front of the masses and say with confidence, ‘Social justice is...’, or, ‘The blueprint of social justice is…’ Although I may never be able to answer that question with a concrete answer, I can answer it with what I do know. What I am unequivocally sure of is that the blueprint to social justice is subjective.

Blueprints are traditionally a step by step process, but when you take a concept such as ‘social justice’, the blueprint will overlap with another; the blueprint of our lives. Each person in this world, even if they are siblings, even if they have grown up the same way with the same parents and the same friends, the way life has shaped them will be different.

If someone lived in an environment where there was a plethora of social justice movements, yet each one failed more devastatingly than the last, that person may look at the question, ‘What is the blueprint for social justice?’, with a blank look on their face and write that it means sacrifices with no outcome. That it is a waste of time and it is a failed machine.

But someone who grew up seeing only successful social justice movements throughout their entire childhood may look at this question and excitedly write down what is certain to work and how, in fact social justice is not a waste of time.

Social justice is not factual. It is not logical, it cannot be concretely defined by Webster. It is not a spreadsheet and it is not a formula.

Social justice is a person seeing an issue and wanting to help. It is someone shouting until they are heard. It is someone quietly publishing a small article. It is someone whispering the truth into the earth’s ears when it is sleeping. It is marching together as one and allowing people to whisper while you scream, social justice is each and every person who wants to make a change, no matter how loud or how quiet they are. Social justice is an understanding, a feeling.

Social justice is a community; that is the one thing every single social justice movement needs. Regardless of subjectivity and personal bias, community is the most important factor. Always.

lila woodard

YWP Alumni

More by lila woodard

• city girl

i feel like i don’t know you anymore. 

i barely recognize your face at this point 

all your city friends hate me 

playful kisses in the comments 

much more sinister then they seem
  • november pills

it's a reprise of 
    my adolescent thoughts
    ones i had pushed away 
    ones the little capsules of 
    blue and orange had suppressed. 
    but those capsules sometimes 
    stuck in my throat, 
  • i’ll push back

you make me feel trapped,
    struggling to get free. 
    you hold everything you've ever done for me,
    dangle it over my head 
    and taunt me with its existence. 
    you use your favors as bargaining chips