Dog

Tears ran down Maddie's face. She had just run out into the backyard, slamming the screen door behind her, and then settled herself into a mossy spot on the ground. It wasn't fair. Her misery enveloped her, crowding her so that there was no room for anything else in her entire body. Lying on her back, she could see the clouds above her, but not clearly, because her eyes were so blurry from crying. Suddenly, she felt something soft on her face. A gentle lick, a sweet caress. She rolled over to see something large and golden. 
"Hey, Benji. Hey, boy," she managed to croak out. The family's golden retriever had come over to see why she was upset. Benji could always tell when something was wrong. He snuffled at her, as if telling her,
"It's okay. You can tell me."
As if Maddie had planned it all the time, she dived into the retriever's golden fur, crying into the soft locks. They held eachother, girl and dog. Benji sensed that something was wrong, but he didn't whine or bark. He just snuggled with his master, his angel, understanding that she needed comfort. After all, that's what friends are for. 

NiñaEstrella

More by NiñaEstrella