Resonating Revolutions

Old Major and Karl Marx in Orwell’s Animal Farm

By Sunny, 13, Crossroads Academy, Lyme, NH

In George Orwell's Animal Farm, a collective of exhausted farm animals rises against their human owner, aiming to establish a society where all creatures enjoy happiness, freedom, and equality. Yet, as the story unfolds, these animals gradually adopt the oppressive tendencies that they once despised in their human masters. This novel is recognized as a satirical allegory of the Russian Revolution, employing a range of symbols and signifiers within the narrative to critique the revolution's shortcomings and expose the leader's manipulation of the working class.

At the heart of the allegory stands Old Major, an old boar whose words bear resemblance to the ideas of renowned German philosopher Karl Marx. Old Major’s role in Animal Farm serves as a pivotal link to the historical antecedent of Karl Marx, shedding light on the similarities between the two. Both figures inspire their respective revolutions for societal change: one aims to rebel against human tyranny to create a utopian society, while the other strives to abolish capitalist exploitation. At the beginning of Animal Farm, Major tells the animals about his dream. He envisions that a perfect world would be one without man. "Man is the only real enemy we have. Remove Man from the scene, and the root cause of hunger and overwork is abolished forever" (Orwell 29). This dream is a direct reference to Marx’s Communist Manifesto. Marx and Major stress how life would be better without private ownership and with communist ideologies. Major’s dream highlights how animals work tirelessly producing solely for the benefit of humans, a harsh parallel to Marx's critique of the exploitation of the proletariat by the bourgeoisie. Both ideologies advocate for a communist society, with "animalism" representing communism within the context of Animal Farm. In both scenarios, the objective is to seize control of the means of production and eliminate the bourgeoisie. In the case of Animal Farm, this entails removing the humans who exploit their labor and serve as the bourgeoisie.

Animal Farm stands as a powerful testament to the enduring relevance of political literature. It encourages readers to reflect not only on the historical events it allegorizes but also on the universal themes of human nature, social injustice, and the ever-present struggle for a just and equal society. Orwell's work serves as a warning against totalitarianism and also a reminder of just how easily ideals may be subverted and corrupted by those hungry for power.

YWP

Site Admin

More by YWP