soep1's picture

The Story Of The Chair

The Story Of The Chair

It was 2:16 am. I was walking down a dark alley in the city of New York
as snow feathered down on the dirty cement. I had just came back from pickpotting old rich people. There was a small hole in one side of the alley. I looked around, eyeing the street for any bypassers and crouched down on my knees when I was satisfied. I crawled through the hole and disappeared. The warehouse was abandoned and forgotten, but little did people know, it was home to many street kids. After they passed the age of fifteen, kids from foster homes and orphanages were set out on the streets. After I made it inside, I got up and stretched out. There were street kids everywhere. Some were resting on the unwanted couches left on the street by people who didn’t want it anymore and others were either warming up by the fireplace or counting the money they collected for the day. This was a sanctuary.
As I walked slowly through the warehouse, I noticed something was off. 
There was a crowd of older kids between twelve and seventeen at the far back. Muttering echoed through the room as I walked towards them. I pushed through the crowd and tried to look at what was causing all the fuss. It was but a rusty old stone chair. It looked like what someone would bring to a cosplay convention. No one sat open it though. It was filled with spider webs and dust.
I moved closer, having a better look of it. It somehow appeared ancient. 
Gold and diamonds decorated the outside of it and it had a ruby in the middle. 
If it hadn’t been so gross looking, the kids would be mauling the chair right now, trying to take the jewelry for themselves.
“Move!” Someone yelled, shoving their way through the crowd. It was a 
boy about 6 feet. I squinted my eyes until I could finally see who it was.
Bradley. The seventeen year old boy that wooed all the girls and 
intimidated other boys. Yeah, we were street kids, but there’s still some sort of class structure. He made his way to the chair and started to frantically scratch the diamonds out. This caused an uproar and about 4 more people did the same thing as him, stumbling upon each other as they fought to claim the jewelry. Five more kids went it, but not for the same purpose. They tried to pull the kids from the chair, knowing that this could cause conflicts inside the community. I participated, also knowing well that this would be no good. Then, a rather daring girl named Sammy went for the ruby. As she pushed her palm against the ruby, there was a huge flash of light, blinding everyone at the moment. Then after a second of two, after I finally opened my eyes, we were somewhere sandy.
The eleven of us looked around, dazed and confused about what just 
happened. We let go of the chair, too shocked to care anymore about the jewelry. Sand was everywhere covering miles and miles of the surface. We could see the stars clear and bright from here. The stars gazed over us as we stared in awe. Then, Bradley, being the stupid boy that he was, ran off towards a hill. The rest of us looked at each other and started following after him. As we stood on the hill, we saw a city or a village of some sort. There were huge pyramids and a huge dog looking structure. I was pretty sure this was Egypt. The only difference was that it looked less advanced. As we took a closer look, we could see hundreds of scrawny men working near the pyramids. They lifted huge rock looking objects to each other. There were other men too. Except they looked healthier and wealthier. They had whips. They were walking around and punishing the workers.
Then it hit me. We traveled back in time.