Athena and Artemis

Story by Helen Poe, Main Street Middle School

Prologue
“Goodbye my dear children” their mother said before pushing them out to never to be seen again “that's her, get her” the guards yelled “stop, I won’t fight I’ll come willingly” she said “okay” they said, they still held her quite painfully. “George” she said looking disdainfully at her husband “are you going to kill me then?” she asked.
“Do you have my children? '' the king said.
“No,” Queen Cora said.
“Execute her” the king said “any last words?” he asked.
“What are you doing with your life killing your wife, you're going to spend eternity looking for your children” Cora said “I hate you.”  Queen Cora's head was chopped off and King George III never did find his daughters.

Chapter 1
Athena
There was no end in sight; they were floating in the ocean, on their wood raft. “I’m hungry,” Artemis the younger twin said.
“We'll catch something soon,” Athena said. Hopefully she added silently, the second she thought that the fish net started violently jerking and soaking them.
“Must be a big one” , Artemis said Athena picked up the net. In the net there were three snippets of fish but one large bass.
“That's going to be the best dinner we’ve had in months,” she said. Athena sliced the fish with their sharpened piece of wood.
Artemis
“That was good,” Artemis said.
“Yeah,” Athena said with a yawn.
“We should go to bed” Artemis said, yawning, the sun was barely a sliver in the horizon, they lay down squeezed in their little raft and drifted to sleep by the ocean. “morning sleepyhead” Athena said when artemis opened her eyes Athena was waiting by the fish net “we haven't caught anything have we” Artemis guessed by the way Athena was staring hungrily at the net
“nope” athena said artemis hoped they caught something soon she was hungry.
Athena
Even with the large fish they had eaten last night Athena was still starving and so was her sister they waited for food they waited and waited and waited but still there was nothing Athena even thought about jumping in and catching a fish herself but jumping in would just scare off all the fish. She started to watch the sky and found dark gray storm clouds rolling in “oh great” she said bitterly “it's going to rain” she said glaring at the sky for a while there was no rain but closer to dinner a light drizzle started.
“We still haven’t caught anything to eat,” said Artemis.
“we might have to go to bed on empty stomachs” Athena said, but was interrupted by a loud clap of thunder “oh no” she said the rain clouds broke and heavy rain pattered down soaking them

With rain pouring down on them, loud claps of thunder, and bright flashes of lightning illuminating the sky All night, they barely got any sleep. When they woke up it had stopped raining, but they were still soaked to the bone.

Chapter 2
Artemis
Rain, rain again, it was starting to rain again. “I have a feeling it’s going to be a rainy few days,” Artemis said.
“yup” Athena said with a sigh, the rain soon turned into a raging storm, tossing them about. At one point Athena was tossed off the raft, and Artemis had to grab her, after that they held onto the raft tight. It rained and rained and rained and rained without stopping once. They were hungry, soaked, cold, and miserable. For days the rain went on, and with crashing waves, lightning, thunder, and no food. Artemis was sure she was going to starve to death before the rain stopped and if she didn’t starve she would freeze, it was wet which made it cold which made it insufferable.
Athena
The next morning when she woke up she had been expecting dark stormy skies but instead she woke up to the sun shining in her face, and an octopus on the raft staring right at her “gah!” she yelled, surprised.
“what?” Artemis asked.
“sorry just… that” she said pointing.
“woah, there's an octopus,” artemis said “why is there an octopus?” Artemis asked.
“you think I know” Athena said the octopus riggled over to athena, and chirruped athena reached her hand out and pet it, it wasn’t slimy like she had expected it was more wet and kinda soft, the octopus put it’s tentacles on her hand and chirruped again weird Athena thought.
Artemis
Artemis tried reaching out to the octopus but it wiggled away. How come she gets an octopus? She felt foolish at the stab of jealousy when it moved away. The octopus stayed on and Artemis tried multiple times to Pet it, But every time it moved away. After a while she stopped trying, darkness soon fell and they
caught a fish just before they were going to go to sleep. When they woke up the next morning the octopus was still on board.

There seemed to be no clouds, after the heavy rain. For days they were getting sunburned because of the continuous sun beating down on them. “I’m going to jump into The water i'm so hot,” Athena said. it was like Athena had read Artemis's mind as she had thought that like 2 seconds ago.
Athena
Athena wasn’t serious about jumping into the water before, but the water seemed so nice and refreshing and… “Athena, don’t jump into the water we don’t know what's down there or how deep it is” Artemis said interrupting her thoughts
“why” Athena whined “I’m going to die of exhaustion” she said.
“What if you die from whatever's down there” Artemis said, she had a point but Athena would never admit it even for her life. Even knowing what Artemis said she still started to slip into the water “wait” Artemis said
“no” Athena said
“What if you only dip your feet in,” Artemis said.
“Waist”.
“Ankles?”.
“Waist”.
“Fine, what about up to your knees,” Artemis said.
“Fine,” Athena said, staring coldly at Artemis.

You should dip your knees in” Athena suggested “it’s so nice ""and i’m not dead” she added seeing the look on Artemis’s face.
“Okay,” Artemis said, hesitantly starting to dip her feet in “Wow, that feels good,” Artemis said.
“duh” Athena said
Artemis
“Aaah” Athena yelled and jumped out of the water the octopus immediately wriggled over to her.
“wha-aah” Artemis saw it and yelled jumping out herself, a gigantic face of something was in the water, after the noise it scattered into small pieces that she assumed were fish “weird” athena said at the same time as artemis thought it.

Chapter 3
Athena
After seeing the big thing in the water she did not put her feet in again she was afraid it would come back and… do something she didn’t know what but Something. even the octopus (that she was starting to call squirt) was obviously shaken, “I’m never going in the water again” Artemis said..
“Me neither,” Athena said. It wasn’t sunny the next few days, thankfully, she was glad it wasn’t raining because it went from rain to sun to somewhere in the middle, but it was starting to get colder and they were not excited for the winter
Artemis
It was starting to get colder but Artemis knew the ocean wouldn’t freeze. Never did. “Brrr” Artemis said.
“suck it up,” Athena snapped.
“achoo” Artemis sneezed, she hoped she wasn’t getting a cold. Usually they catch colds twice a year. There was usually one in the winter and another time of year. “Bless you,” Athena said.
“Thanks,” Artemis said.

Artemis, thankfully, didn’t catch a cold. It would be an inconvenient time to get sick.
Athena
Over the next few days it started to get colder, and colder, and colder. Every night when they were sleeping they would be shivering and chattering because it would be freezing cold in the night but less cold in the day. Athena wished they had blankets or something to keep them warm, every night Squirt would wiggle over to her and snuggle up. It didn't help her much but she could tell it helped the octopus. The colder it got the less fish they caught. They were starting to get used to the lack of food, like last year, and the year before, and the many other winters they had, had at sea. “Ugh” Artemis said, Athena rolled her eyes refraining from snapping at artemis.
Artemis
It was so cold she wished it was spring already. She also mildly wanted a pet of her own, “octopus, come over here” she said.
“His name is Squirt” Athena said, whatever, Artemis rolled her eyes.

Chapter 4
Athena
Athena let out a long sigh “rain” She said looking out at the clouds.
“Rain” Artemis asked “great” she said,

It didn’t rain until the next day and at first it was hard pounding down on the ocean, but it got lighter until it was just a light sprinkle, she passed time by playing with her octopus, she could tell Artemis was jealous of her and also wanted to play, but she didn’t, Athena thought about inviting her over but, she wanted something for herself once. “CRACK” a loud boom of thunder sounded, waking them up, “ack” Athena said she had almost fallen off because she had jumped up in battle position,
“Be careful,” Artemis said.
“Yeah, like you weren’t scared by that,” Athena said, rolling her eyes.
“Man it rained so much this year” Artemis remarked, Athena nodded. A bright flash of lightning illuminated the sky, so close they could feel the heat Athena and Artemis looked at each other “oh no” Artemis said, Another flash of lightning, but closer.
“It's getting closer,” Athena said.
“What do we do?” Artemis asked.
“I don’t know,” Athena said frantically.
Artemis
With the storm moving closer, Artemis was worried that their raft might be hit with… “FIRE” Athena screamed “get water put the fire out” she ordered.
“I don’t think we can, its to big” Artemis said
“We’ll have to jump in,” Athena said, pointing at the water.
“But-”.
“Just jump,” Athena said, jumping in, and holding her octopus, Artemis jumped in too.
“what do we do?” Artemis asked.
“We’ll have to swim until we find land” Athena said
“Okay” Artemis said, starting to swim with Athena. They were swimming for quite some time until they found food.
“hey I see a fish” Athena yelled darting towards to fish, with a piece of wood she killed it and threw it to Artemis
“Food,” she said, relieved.
“Uh huh” Athena mumbled, shoving fish into her mouth. Artemis ate it herself. It was a bit small, but it was still good. “I’m going to die, I'm so tired,” Artemis said.
“Me too,” Athena said.
“We’re never going to find land” Artemis said, Athena sighed she was trying to convince herself that it wasn’t true, they had to find land at some point even if it was tiny it would still be better that swimming with no end in sight.
Athena
“Land!” Athena yelled.
“Land?!” Artemis asked.
“Yes!” Athena said, sighing with relief. It may have been a tiny speck of land but still it was land, she felt like she had regained all of her strength, and that she could swim the whole ocean if she had to, from what it looked like artemis felt like that to. They swam so much but eventually it wasn’t just a speck it wasn’t that big and they could tell they had a lot more to swim, but they were still determined to get there “aah” Athena screamed.
“What?” Artemis asked.
“I just felt something scaly and slimy on my leg,” Athena said.
“I don’t see anything,” Artemis said.
“Well I didn’t imagine it” Athena said, they both searched anxiously for whatever Athena had felt on her leg. “Let's try to swim faster,” Athena said. “Okay,” Artemis said. They swam faster but Athena was still paranoid checking the water just in case there was something out there that wanted to eat them.
Artemis
Artemis could tell that Athena was worried, she kept looking in the water. The land was getting closer and closer, she could tell that it was rocky, and she saw a cave that she thought would be perfect to shelter in. “Come on” Athena said, she had gotten ahead of Artemis, so Artemis sped up to swim beside her sister.

Chapter 5
Athena
“We’re almost there!” Athena said, looking out at the island.
“Finally” Artemis said, Athena agreed but didn’t say anything, but knowing that the island was close seemed to motivate them and it seemed they were going quicker.

It took a while but soon they reached the sandy beach, it felt weird walking across the sand as they had never felt land beneath their feet. “This feels so different,” Artemis said.
“I know right,” Athena said.
“It’s not… wobbly,” Artemis added.
“Let's investigate,” Athena said, running towards a cave. “I’ll look at this one, you can see if there are any others,” she said pointing towards a cave.
“Cool” Artemis said, already starting to walk, Athena ran toward the cave she slipped inside and admired the darkness, she walked carefully through making sure there weren't any animals. Athena looked up sharply it was a faint sound like heavy breathing, a low whaling grew, getting louder, Athena covered her mouth trying to steady her breathing trying to be quiet, she had the impulse to keep walking it was so strong that she couldn’t ignore it she started to walk slowly and as quietly as she could, Athena stifled a gasp up ahead was a large snake-like figure it had shiny scales, glinting in a light far far away, it was curled around her eggs, the snake turned her head to stare right at her, she was the animal they had seen in the water. Athena ran. She ran out of the cave as fast as ever she ran and ran and ran until she was out on the sandy beach and couldn't see the cave anymore, when she stopped she looked back expecting to see the gigantic snake slithering after her, she started to run again she ran until she found Artemis.
Artemis
“Artemis! Artemis!” Athena yelled.
“what?” Artemis asked, surprised.
“there…was…snake” Athena said pausing to pant in between words..
“You're that scared of… snakes” Artemis said.
“no… it was giant, the one we saw in the water,” Athena said. Artemis inhaled a sharp breath.
“Really?” she asked.
“pretty sure” , Athena said.
“What do we do?” Artemis asked. “I mean we found land we’re not going to leave, are we?” Artemis asked.
“No! Of course not” Athena said “we can either make friends with it or stay away” she said.

“Where are you going?” Artemis asked.
“I’m going to make friends with her,” Athena answered.
“Her?” Artemis asked, Athena nodded and walked to the other side to find the snake.
Athena
Athena broke into a run. She ran as fast as she could towards the snake, she found the cave, and took a deep breath. I hope I don't die, she thought. She ventured into the cave. She walked quietly until she found the snake “hi” she whispered the snake turned her head “i-i’m Athena” she said “hiss” the snake hissed “are you gonna eat me?” She asked the snake shook her head slightly, she took that as a no “I won’t hurt you” she promised “hiss hiss hiss” the snake said “you trust me?” She asked the snake and herself the snake nodded, she smiled “come outside” she said the snake stared at her and revealed her eggs “oh” Athena said tap tap one of the eggs moved and the snake curled herself more tightly around her.
Chapter 6

“I just made friends with a snake, '' Athena said.
“really?” Artemis asked.
“Yup” Athena answered.
“You just have this way with animals,” Artemis remarked.
“I guess,” Athena said.

Story by Helen Poe, 10, Montpelier, Main Street Middle School

Posted in response to the challenge Stranded.

YWP

Site Admin

More by YWP