Zane Telesford's picture

Do or Die

"This is your last chance". 

That's what I thought to myself, as I watched him grab his things to leave for the final time. Words shivered at the back of my throat, constricting me, while I waited with bated breath for them to come out. They never did. They were suffocated before they could even reach the tip of my tongue. I said nothing as he pushed past me without so much as a glance. I said nothing as he opened the front door. I said nothing as he got in his car. Only once he had pulled out of the driveway and disappeared down the street did a single sound escape my lips. A scream. The type of scream that hurts. The type of scream so loud and persistent eventually your ears just tune it out.

"This is your last chance".

That's what administration told me as I sat in the office after being patted down. I stared blankly into the wall in front of me as my parents traded words with the police officer. The drive home was quiet. Or maybe it wasn't, and the probable reprimands and expressions of disappointment fell on deaf ears. 

"This is your last chance".

That's what she said as she threatened to kick me out of the house. There was arguing, tears were shed. Things went on as if nothing even happened.

"This is your last chance".

That's what I thought would be the closing words of my relationship with the only person I had left. More watery eyes, yet no change in the end.

"This is your last chance".

These are the words that I have learned to fear. They have leeched happiness from me, and sown anxiety upon my insides that grow like a cancer. And yet, they are all the hope I have left. You see, the foundation of my life is built on last chances. 
Zane Telesford's picture
About the Author: Zane Telesford