wellss's picture

Surprises

I’m walking through the humid woods, getting away from all the things that this year has brought. In the woods, I have one spot that is mine, I always go to it.
It’s a small tree you can climb up near the beautiful brooke that overlooks my hometown. As I go up it’s soft and damp branches, I see something out of the corner of my eye.
It’s at the top where I usually sit. It’s round, and golden. It has to be an egg of some sort. For the first time in a long time I smile.
I haven't been in this spot since my grandma, E.m.m.y, passed away. The initials stand for Elizabeth Marry Margret Young, but everyone in my family called her Emmy. She used to find me in the woods in this exact spot. I have missed her a lot lately.
I bring my focus back to the egg, it’s stunning. When I’m at the top of the tree, I don’t know what to do. Should I take the egg? What if it’s someone else’s? I decide to go home and figure out what this golden egg is doing here. As I’m waking back home, I get the slightest feeling of my grandmother’s presence. I can almost feel as though I am next to her. I walk back onto the steps of my house and gently crack the egg open a see a note.
It says, “ I am like a shooting star, you may not always be able to see me, but I am always there.” Love, E.m.m.y.”
I look around thinking, maybe this year isn't so bad after all.

wellss's picture
About the Author: wellss