Essay Meltdown

No, no, no, no, no!
Where is it?
Where is it?

"Harper, are you ready? We have to leave in five minutes if you want to make it on time," Mom calls me from the kitchen. 
"Uh... just a minute...!" I say, preoccupied with trying to find my English essay that was due today. Mr. Ford won't be happy with me!
"Everything okay?" Mom asks, climbing the stairs. She reaches my door and stares at me as I try desperately to find my essay. She smirks, crossing her arms and leaning against the doorframe.
"What's so funny?" I ask defensively.
"Nothing," she replies, still giving me that obnoxious smirk.
She watches me search my room, dig through my backpack, and double-check my desk. It's not here!
"What am I gonna do?" I ask myself.
"Is there a problem, Harper?" Mom asks me. She's hiding something from me.
"Actually, yeah, there is. I've misplaced my English essay that's due today and now I can't find it. Plus, you standing there, practically mocking me, isn't helping, you know," I reply, annoyance lining the tone of my voice.
"Hey, don't get mad at me," she says, holding both hands up in the air, "wasn't the one who lost a homework assignment," she continues watching me, her eyes crinkled with supressed laughter.
I zip my backpack up and brush past her. She follows me down the stairs and outside to where the car is awaiting us. I climb into the passenger seat and buckle up as Mom opens the door of the driver's seat. She starts the engine, and in no time, we're flying down the road to my school.
I rest my chin on my hand and look out the window, gazing at the trees flashing by and thinking about what to tell Mr. Ford. I stay like that for the rest of the ride, not talking, not moving.
We pull into the school parking lot and we stop around the corner to where students are dropped off. I start to open my door, but Mom stops me.
"I wanted to give this to you before you left the car," she explains as she digs around in her purse. She pulls out a neat stack of stapled papers...
My essay.
She hands me the essay, and I snatch it out of her hands.
"You could've given this to me at home, you know," I say.
"I wanted to see you sweat. Next time, you'll remember not to lose anything important," she says. She gives me a smile and waves as I shut the door, and as I walk towards the entrance, she races off to work.
I look down at the essay in my hands. I feel grateful that Mom found it, or else I would be in trouble with Mr. Ford.
Mom can be annoying sometimes, but she's always there when you need her.

About the Author: Leah.W
"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less" -C.S Lewis