A Tour of A Completely Normal Island With No Strange Aspects

You may have noticed on the way in that this island's name, "A Completely Normal Island With No Strange Aspects", is a slight misnomer. In fact, it is a rather large misnomer. Everything about this island is strange. The first and most important strange aspect of this island is that it does not obey the laws of physics. Furthermore, it exists in a non-euclidean space, so it is fairly easy to get lost. Keep that in mind as we walk around the island.

Now, if you look to your left, you will see the Spire. The funny thing about the Spire is that no one knows what it is, or even what it's made of. The island staff haven't been able to get close to it, so we have to guess. Right now, we think it's just an iron lodestone. It appears to give off an unusually strong magnetic field which affects much more than just ferrous metals, most notably water. If you look near the bottom of the spire, you'll actually see the seawater being pushed away from it.

Next, we'll be approaching a rather fascinating spot called "The Mirror in the Sky''. There isn't an actual mirror, but there might as well be one, because if you look up right now, you'll see the island. If you look close enough, right in that bowl shape near the edge, you'll see us. This is caused by the fabric of space-time bending over itself, but only in this specific location. In fact, if you were to jump high enough, you would fall back down right where you were, only you wouldn't change direction.

In this section, you'll have to be careful of the time warps. If you merely touch one, you'll be sent to a random point in time, past, present, or future. They even work in reverse. We've actually had some serious problems with giant Cambrian isopods terrorizing the tourists. Fortunately, we were able to scare them back into the time warps.

We're coming up on the Spire again. It's still to our left, but our earlier path is nowhere to be seen. Fascinating, I know. Brace yourselves for this next bit, it's going to be a wild ride. This mist will teleport you a thousand feet in the air, but don't worry; as you fall, time will slow down around you and you'll land in the water without a scratch.

Well that was fun, don’t you think? Anyways, we better get moving. We don’t want the Immolators catching up to us. 

Anyways, that concludes our tour. You may have noticed that we only went around the eastern side of the island. That is because the western side of the island is actually the exact same as the eastern side, and when I say that, I mean that every little detail is exactly the same, just mirrored over. It’s actually quite similar to The Mirror in the Sky. If you were to walk across the border between the two halves, you would, for a moment, exist twice in the same space. Additionally, on the western side, you would be completely flipped around. If you’re right handed, you would be a lefty on the western side.

Andre Whiteberg

More by Andre Whiteberg