Letter Two

October 26, 1861
My dearest family,
    It was so good to hear from you all. I cherish every letter. I am glad everyone is doing well. Happy thirteenth birthday Abe! I am sorry I  am missing your birthday, I hope you don’t mind too much. I love you all so much.
    Everything is going quite smoothly here. Mary, Anna, and I have become quite close. They are so funny and compassionate. We make a great team when we do our rounds. No matter how much pain the soldiers are in, Anna and Mary can make them laugh and forget all their worries. I  am not as good at making people laugh, but I can bring them comfort.
    In the evenings, after dinner and medicine has been distributed, we go around to bring comfort to the wounded. We talk with them and write letters for the one who no longer can. I wrote a letter for a man yesterday to his mother. He reminded me of Isaac. He was about Isaac’s age and had a similar attitude, he always seemed on the verge of a smile. He died in the night. I mailed the letter this morning and added a note of my own at the end to try to give his mother consolation. I haven’t heard from Isaac in a while and I am getting worried. Have you heard from him lately? I wish I could know he is okay. I’m sorry for being so depressing in this letter, normally things are happier.
    I love and miss you all so much. I hope everything continues to run smoothly. Happy Birthday once again Abe.
                                                                                                                       Love to all,
                                                                                                                       Nora Josephine Ferris