Italy

Italy

Under a heaven of a glowing apricot hue, laid a pair dressed in white and rose silks relishing the soft rustle of a summer breeze. A collection of ripe fruits decorated the lavender blanket atop a bed of green grass as butterflies danced from yarrow to yarrow. Occasionally, an aroma of burning firewood reached the couple, briefly reminding them of the party down the mountain. But as the aroma drifted away so did the thoughts of the party, isolating the couple from the rest of the world and engulfing them back into their own story. They had been out here for a while now and although the alpine sun softened, the warm breeze covered their bare arms like a blanket and the soft buzz of champagne warmed their insides.

He turns his face to hers. Feeling his gaze, she turns to him too. “What?” she says. Her voice breaks the silence. He says nothing. “What!” she says more insistently.

“Shh”. The boy hushes her. Leaning in, he plucks an aconite behind her. He brushes her arm as he lays back sending electric sparks from her arm to her shoulder to her neck to her… She waits for the kiss but the boy grins, fully aware of the torture he inflicted. He lets her wait just long enough he knows the electricity still lingers in the air.

Bees buzz blissfully in the air, extracting saccharine nectar from flowers swaying sweetly from side to side, anxiously awaiting the bees’ soft feet landing on their delicate petals. Much like the girl. She too is infatuated by the boy and his sweet eyes and freckles and smile… She too is wishing the boy would choose her.

supercat

More by supercat

• Bonnie & Clyde

“Oh, Bonnie” he smiled.“Clyde” her southern tang glided off her tongue. She was built small and light as a feather. Slim shoulders and a slim waist, she could be swayed by a small gust of Arizonan Desert wind.
  • Yellow Heart

he’s my n. 1
    figuratively and physically 
    my mind invested
    our thoughts connected 
    constantly reminded of our sudden perfection

exchanging conversation 
    engaging in divine creation

• a reality in my mind

Sunken eyes
    haze over ruined destinies
    A chosen path found guilty of pain
    but not enough to jump ahead and escape the insane

Broken smiles 
    barely leave her face
    As its strength is too shallow to reach