Go On and Be You

Hey there friend,
So you’re in middle school now, and I’m so happy you found my hidden note stashed between the dusty dictionaries. Middle school can be a tough and scary experience, but I have some good advice that will help you get through these challenging years.

I am an Asian student in a large school full of white children. I am fortunate enough to be blessed with a small community of friends. But, being a tiger in a herd of lions has taught me something important: I need to be myself.

One day, I was changing in the locker room when some kids started poking fun at my hairline. They also teased me about eating dogs and having slanted eyes. I turned away and held back a pout. My insides felt like melting wax, and I walked away, ashamed of my heritage. Later that day on the bus, I told my friend, Jeffrey Wong, about this incident. He patted me on the back and told me, “There will always be people who look down on you because you are unique. You’re smart, funny, kind, and no one cares about your hairline. Go on and be you.”

That is the single most important piece of advice I have ever received during my middle school years. Go on and be you. It doesn’t matter whether you’re smart or dumb, black or white, tall or short. Or even Asian with a receding hairline. What matters is that you be yourself and know that you are valuable just the way you are.

Go on and be you.
Regards,

Anonymous 8th Grader

danieljw1296

NC

More by danieljw1296

• Mother Ocean

Introduction: When I was young, my mother would often sing to me when I felt restless. She sang a Chinese song roughly translated to “Mother Ocean.” I would instantly fall asleep.
  • Yangtze Raft

I sit staring out the window

Looking at the rain pounding down 

Like a thousand hammers 
    I sigh and close my eyes
    And think of the lush Chinese floodplain
    The place my mother was born
  • Support

“Honey, I need you to cook dinner again tonight. I have to stay at work late and grade papers.” Her father’s voice crackled, and then he hung up. Sorin sighed and shut off her phone. Third time this week. And it was only Wednesday.