My Thoughts On Humor

Humor changes the way we view things. A stick becomes a boomerang that doesn’t come back. A palm tree becomes a tree with a hand. A crock pot becomes the best way to cook a gator. Did you laugh at these jokes? That is because they change our perspective on ordinary things in a punny way.  Take for example, a joke about a sick banana. (It doesn’t peel good.) When someone says that a banana can get sick, this adds human traits to the banana, changing our perception of the fruit. We laugh because it sounds silly. And we all need to be silly sometimes.

Humor can also change the way we view society. Many comedians and cartoonists enjoy poking fun at political figures in their routines and cartoons. It makes their jobs seem much more interesting. I don’t know about you, but I would rather look at a funny comic about the president’s latest speech, rather than the actual speech itself. 

Finally, humor can change the way we see ourselves, both positively and negatively. When someone else tells a joke about someone else’s uptightness, or slipping grades, or dirty clothes, they can react two different ways. If a friend or family member is casually joking around, then they can brush it off. However, if the joke is used disparagingly, the person targeted can have lowered self-esteem or they can use it to size themselves up.

Humor changes the way people see many things. A sick banana is now given human traits. A politician’s speech is satirized. And a person can see themselves in a new light. Humor helps bring out the silliness in everything and everyone, something we all need.

danieljw1296

NC

More by danieljw1296