We Need Equality

Although individuals in America like to say that this country treats everyone as equals, it doesn’t. In the mid 1900s, there stood a strong man. His name was Martin Luther King Jr. and he had a goal. He wanted equality. He did not want to be treated differently because of the color of his skin. His “I Have A Dream” speech is read all across the world today. 57 years later, we still haven’t lived up to his dream. We still haven’t lived up to the dream that all African Americans had and still have: to be treated as equals. 

While this was many years ago, we still face the same issue today. Racism still exists in our country. Martin Luther King Jr. also said a famous message: “Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive hate, only love can do that” (Strength to Love, 1963). What he was trying to convey is that people should not use violence to convey their opinions, but rather they should use their words and passion. They should use their love and respect for each other to advocate for their rights. This is relevant to recent issues, where during protests, some people have been destroying property in order to convey their anger. The anger is understandable, but if we use destruction as a way to fight racism, we will end up with even more terror to deal with. Instead, people should sign petitions, donate, and use strong but respectful ways to convey their opinions. People should protest, but do so peacefully. We should use love and dedication to our beliefs to advocate for racial justice. 

We must all learn to appreciate others and respect everyone regardless of what the color their skin is. We can’t leave victims to deal with this problem by themselves. We must all work together to combat racial injustice. We must advocate for those who are losing their lives due to the inequality that exists within our country. No parent should have to worry about their child being killed because of their race. No wife should have to worry about her husband being killed because of their race. No child should have to worry about their parents being killed because of their race. No one should ever be scared for their life in this country because of their race.

happydancer

MA

More by happydancer

• End of school year stuff :)

As we slip into summer break, I just wanted to express that school in the past year in the pandemic has been incredibly difficult and that everyone here deserves time to themselves this summer to do things that you love!
  • changes

the world seems to always be changing
    you grip onto one thing but then it slips
    right from your fingers

life can be 
    static
    monotone
    predictable

but it can also be
    dynamic
    ever-changing
    chaotic
  • spring is near

the sun is coming out quickly
    and doesn't leave too soon
    the buds haven't began to blossom
    the trees look a little bare
    but there's a warm-ish breeze in the air
    that tells me spring is near