The Hidden Legacy of Hate

What do the people and the government have to do with someone's action of hate? What does it have to do with us? 
It has everything to do with us. When we ignore an act of hate we silently allow it to continue on. When we turn a blind eye we send the message that nothing will be done.
Look at the Upstairs Lounge arson in New Orleans, 1973. Someone lit the gar bar on fire, dousing the stairs in lighter fluid and locking the back door. A church was gathered there at the time. There was a total of sixty present at the time, and thirty-seven of them died. The local radio stations made fun of the incident. The governor and higher government ignored it. The police launched a botched investigation and found no one guilty. The only suspect took his own life in 1980.
Churches refused to host funerals for the victims. Parents disowned and refused to identify bodies. The church that did allow the funerals was attacked by other groups and got hate daily.
This will likely be your first time hearing about this incident. I barely learned of it today. It's been forty-seven years, and there has been no justice for the victims.
If this was so buried, what else had been? What other people have been forgotten and stomped into dust? Every minority party has had an event like this happen to them.
Ignored, buried, forgotten.
We have to stand together, majority and minority. Black, Hispanic, Latino, LGBT+, Muslim, Jewish, everyone must stand together. We are different, but in the end, we are the same. We bleed red, we cry tears, we're people.
We have to defend each other.  

TheMangledSans0508

More by TheMangledSans0508