Talking With an Alien

2200 A.D

So you see, there’s this thing called Earth.

Is it a food?

What? No, no, it’s a planet. In the Milky Way. It’s where I live. 

That is hundreds of galaxies away. Why are you out here?

Why am I out here? I don’t know, to pick flowers? No, you idiot, I’m here to explore. 

Exploration has already been completed in this galaxy. What is so bad about your Earth?

Because Earth is already explored. 

Interesting. I have never heard of this Earth before. What is this planet like?

You really want to know what Earth is like? 

Was my question unclear? I can repeat if it is required. What is this---

Yeah, yeah, I heard you. It’s just---Earth is so boring...Well, actually…

You have stopped talking in the middle of your sentence. Did you fall into slumber?

No, I was just thinking about Earth. 

Please, indulge me in your thoughts. I have a newfound interest in this Earth.

My planet is a ball of rock now. We all had to move into self-sufficient satellites that orbit it, because there isn’t any way we can live on the land anymore. There is no trees, no clean water, no animals, no life. 

And that is why you are here, I assume? 

Sort of. I’m supposed to find another habitable planet, but so far, I haven’t found any. Not even this one. 

My condolences. Perhaps your species could evolve into not requiring these necessities. 

The thing is, Earth wasn’t always like that. Once, a long time ago, it was beautiful.

You are speaking in the past tense. 

Yeah, because Earth was in the past. I lived on the planet twenty years ago when I was a child, in one of the few forests in the mountains. I didn’t know it was happening until my parents told me to pack my clothes and get in the car. We drove to the space center and were shoved into these huge ships. And that is where I’ve been living ever since. There are two thousand others on my ship, and somewhere orbiting Earth is countless more ships, each filled completely with people just trying to live normal lives, thousands of miles from their true home. 

Your story is very intriguing, but you still have not conversed of the topic of your planet’s demise. How did this occur?

Shush. I was getting to that part, if you hadn’t interrupted. Anyway, we killed Earth. All those trees? We cut them down. The animals? We killed them, on purpose or accidentally. Either way, it doesn’t matter. We destroyed our water and our atmosphere so badly that we had to leave. 

Why would your species cause destruction and devastation on your own home?

How should I know? I was five. I was oblivious to all of this because it was the only thing I knew. But I’ve seen pictures and videos of what Earth looked like in the past, and it makes me wish we hadn’t destroyed Earth. 

You seem to have a higher intellect than the rest of your species, if you are pondering about such things. 

Yeah, I guess. But man, you should have seen it. Trees were so green and tall, the skies so blue. There were these animals called turtles in the water, and birds in the sky, bright colors and beautiful sounds. They went extinct in the Sixth Extinction a century ago.

I am detecting a deep sense of regret within you. Why do you feel remorse for something you never got to experience because of the actions of your people?

Because I could have had a life there! I could have had a family, gotten a job as a farmer or something, and just lived my life! Now, I have to travel galaxies away from my family just to provide them money, so that my future children might be able to live the life I couldn’t. I don’t want to make the same mistake my ancestors did all those centuries ago. 

You are truly wise beyond your kind. 

I’m not wise, I’m just a fool with a hopeless dream.

Everyone calls the genius a fool until the genius’s vision comes true.

What? That doesn’t…. Whatever, I shouldn’t be wasting fuel chatting like this. I’ve gotta go. 

I wish you luck on your quest. It was an enjoyable experience conversing with you. And a word of advice; thirteen galaxies away towards the closest Black Dwarf, there is rumored to be another colony of human-like lifeforms. 

Oh, thanks. I guess I’ll go check that out. See you later… What’s your name again?

Oennirkzolborg.

… See you later, man. 

Farewell.

k.daigle

More by k.daigle