State Parks

State parks were rivals against the cathedrals and castles of Europe. These beautiful parks were born in the mid-1800's, but it really all started with Yosemite California. John Muir wanted to preserve this area, Yosemite, which began the national movement of National Parks. During the Civil War Abraham Lincoln and Congress put Yosemite under protection of California. The first ever park that was officially established was Yellow Stone Natural Park. Ulysses S. Grant made Yellow Stone a park in 1872. Then in the late 19th century, more parks were developed.

Today there's over 450 other parks which include; Yellow Stone, Niquette Bay, Moose Point, Ichetucknee Springs, Great Smoky Mountains, and Unicoi. Yellow Stone Natural Park is located in three states; Wyoming, Montana, Idaho. This park covers over 3,472 square miles and has 5 entrances. Niquette Bay State Park located in Colchesster, Vermont, is a great seasonal spot for hiking and swimming. Moose Point State Park is right off Route 1 in Searsport, Maine, and it is right on the ocean. Ichetucknee Springs State Park In Fort White, Florida, has a six mile river with summer tubing through wetlands, wildlife sightings, and snorkeling. Unicoi State Park and Lodge is a mountain lodge in Helen, Georgia. With 800 miles of mountains to cross in North Carolina and Tennessee The Great Smokey Mountains in one of the top most visited natural parks.  

These Natural Parks and State Parks play a very important part in the US, by helping us preserve this beautiful land. They are amazing parks to see and if you can, you should go see one for yourself.