BorayZ's picture

Only The Sun Can Help Me

The day was clear, free of rain and clouds. It was warmer than days past, especially when standing in the bright light of the sun, which was shining bright enough to make the bricks beneath my feet appear white. Church Street was not crowded. People don’t appreciate the sun as I do. They would rather hide their eyes with sunglasses and shadows cast by baseball caps. They would rather stay inside and complain about the glare on their precious TV screen. But not me.

Earlier that morning I had put on my coat, oversized and a sickly shade of tan, but I could never be bothered by my appearance. I poured myself a cup of coffee and left my house to enjoy the sunshine. Now my mug was empty, and I longed for a sip of water, but rather than leave the embrace of the sun and get water, I decided to stay. When I left my house I had been wearing shoes. They were brown. I remember that much. But now I am standing barefoot other than my grey Puma socks with no recollection of where my shoes could have disappeared to.

Standing in the middle of Church Street, with my arms crossed around my empty mug, I closed my eyes and looked up towards the sky. Absorbing the rejuvenating sunlight. I felt a slight smile cross my face. I was at peace, this was the only thought in my mind until I was interrupted.

“Are doing you ok? Do you need more help?” asked a nosey man in a blue jacket. He had a sachel around his left shoulder. Next to him was a woman. Her arms were crossed, and so were her legs. She looked uncomfortable, and I was probably the one causing the discomfort.

“No, really, I’m fine. The sun offers all the help I need. ” I told the man. I wasn’t rude, I just smiled, and explained I did not need any of this stranger's help.

“Angela, please come with me,” said the man. He seemed to know me, but I had no memory of him.

“Do I know you? How do you know my name?” I questioned, a small sense of fear growing inside me.

“It’s ok, I know sometimes you forget things. Remember this morning? When I brought you water, in that dixie cup?” he pointed to the crushed dixie cup in my hand, which I had forgotten about.

“No. No. I--” I walked away from these two strangers, at a steady pace, but they followed closely behind. I wanted to return home, but I had no luck in finding it, so once I lost the man and woman I returned to my spot in the middle of church street. I walked up the street two steps, then down two steps. Then I sat on a small rock to watch the people walking by. Here I enjoyed the sunlight and prayed no one else would offer me their help. People who just saw my socks, oversized coat, and crushed dixie cup, with no knowledge of who I really am, and why I am sitting alone, could do nothing to help me, even if they tried.