Daily Challenges: A new idea to explore and create each day. Use sound and photos, too!

Write to one or all of these Climate Change challenges created by YWP's Hazel Civalier and Sophie Dauerman for their special SoundCheck on Climate Change on Thursday, Nov. 15 at Burlington City Arts, 135 Church St., Burlington, VT, from 6-8 pm!

FIVE CHALLENGES

Oasis
 - Artistically portray a place in nature that you believe we should protect: Is it favorite park or hike where you relax? Does it contain a national monument? A rare animal species? Does it provide an entire city with drinking water? Show us what matters to you!

Balance - Balance is important in nature, but environmental harmony is waning. Write about a place where the forces of nature are out of balance: How does it affect your life or other’s lives? What can be done to restore that balance?

12 years - Recently, the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change warned that climate catastrophe could become a reality as early as 2030. Write a poem or story imagining the world 12 years from now and your place in it. What is your daily life like? How do you deal with the extreme circumstances?

Climate Agreement - The UN Paris Agreement “...brings all nations into a common cause to undertake ambitious efforts to combat climate change and adapt to its effects…” - United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. Write your own climate agreement - what do you think we need to work on? Should we reduce our energy consumption? Prepare developing nations for floods? Build renewable energy infrastructure?

Sustainable - According to the World Resources Institute, agriculture is the second largest contributor to global greenhouse gas emissions (after energy), amounting to 13% of total emissions. Here in Vermont, we are surrounded by small family farms, which are very different than the industrial facilities which dominate most of US agriculture. While certainly better for the animals, even small farms still have environmental impacts. Reimagine a local farm with a sustainable setup that would allow it to grow delicious food while enriching the environment, rather than depleting the soil and polluting waters as current practices do.