VT Writes Day 2019

VERMONT WRITES DAY IS FRIDAY, FEB. 1, 2019

Vermont Writes Day - The day everyone stops what they're doing to WRITE for just seven minutes. This day, started many years ago by Young Writers Project to honor writing, is now an annual tradition in February. Schools across Vermont -- and any others, anywhere, that wish to join in -- are welcome to take part. We provide the prompts. You provide the writing! Writers can post on their YWP blogs, use pen and paper -- or post to the special Vermont Writes Day site, vermontwritesday.org, which will open only on Vermont Writes Day on Feb. 1! The best writing we see on Vermont Writes Day will be published in YWP’s digital magazine, The Voice, and with our media partners. Don't miss this day! It's so much fun!

WRITE FOR JUST SEVEN MINUTES TO ONE OF THESE SEVEN CHALLENGES!

1. Elves: Some people believe that forests are enchanted places, with elves living there. Write a story or poem about the forest elves. Or tell the tale of a person who doesn't believe in elves, but something happens to make them less certain.

2. Spaghetti. You've walked past this sign for years. One day, it seems to be calling you inside -- and the adventure begins. Tell the story.

3. Courage: Describe a time, real or fictional, when you have to summon up your courage. Focus on the actual "moment of truth," when time slows down and you have to commit to breaking through. What happens and how do you feel afterward?

4. Rule: You have just been put in charge of the world, but you can only make one rule. What is it and what events or experiences led you to it?

5. Jefferson: Thomas Jefferson said, "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Write about a situation in which you, or a character you have created, put a lot of work into something, and then luck seems to follow.

6. Moneybag: Two strangers happen upon a bag of money while they're waiting for a train. Who are they? What do they do?

7. 4Photos. Choose one of the four photos in the slideshow and write a story or poem about it.

AND if these don't inspire you, there's always: General writing. Write about anything you like, in any genre!

DETAILS:
  • If you have an account on youngwritersproject.org, just hit "Respond" on the challenge(s) you choose.
  • If you don't have a YWP account, please click join and fill out the form. We'll approve you as quickly as possible.
OR
  • Write directly on vermontwritesday.org -- a special website for Vermont Writes Day 2019. No account is required. It will be open only on Friday, Feb. 1!
  • If you're writing on paper, please send your work (with name, grade, school, email) to Young Writers Project, 47 Maple Street, Suite 216, Burlington, VT 05401.
Event Date: 
Friday, February 1, 2019
Attachment: