My Keys

“Crap,” I screamed. “Mom is going to kill me!”

Just a week before I had been sitting in the DMV, waiting, not so patiently, to get my license. I had already taken my test, and I passed which, was great, but I wanted to leave. And I couldn't do that until they handed me my license. After five hours of waiting, it was my turn. I got up there, and they snapped my picture. It was awful, but I just wanted to go home and celebrate my birthday with my family so I didn't care.

Finally they were done. I walked out of there as happy as could be. It was my 16th birthday, and I had my licence. I got home, and I couldn't believe my eyes. In our driveway was a brand new 2019 Jeep Wrangler. My parents had gotten me a car for my birthday. I was so surprised, but also very excited. My mom and I immediately took it out for a spin. It was amazing.  

The next week, I was walking out of the gym with my friend. It was the first time I was driving my Jeep without my mom. I reached into my bag to get the keys out. I found them without a problem. I was being really careful because I didn't want to do anything to mess up my new car. I was talking with Bella about our workout. I had the keys to the car safely in my hand, until Bella made me laugh. The keys fell out of my hand and straight down the grate in the parking lot. Suddenly, I wasn't laughing anymore. I had just gotten a brand new car and I had dropped the keys down a grate in the parking lot. How could I have been so stupid? I should have just left them in my bag until I got to the car. What on earth was I supposed to do now? Should I call mom? No, she would be way too mad. My only option was to get them out myself, but how on earth was I supposed to do that? Bella hadn’t yet noticed the problem, so she continued talking to me while I had stopped dead in my tracks and was staring down the grate.

“Ummmm, you good?” asked Bella.

“I dropped my keys, and they’re down there,” I said, pointing to the grate. “What should I do?”

“Doesn’t your dad have fishing gear in the back?” Bella suggested.

“Oh, he does,” I said, feeling momentarily relieved. Then I remembered: “The car is locked and the keys are down there! There’s no way to get it!”

“Well, there’s a long stick over there,” she said.

“Oh, good idea,” I said “Let’s try that.”

I went over and got the stick and lowered it through the grate. I hit the keys, and then I dropped them again before I could lift them up. I tried again. I dropped them again.

“Uggghhh!!” I moaned.

“Just try again,” Bella encouraged.

I took a deep breath and lower the stick into the grate one last time. This time I was successfully able to hook the keys onto the end of the stick. I took another deep breath and slowly started to raise the stick.

Finally, the keys were in my hand. Thank God, I thought, and sighed in relief.

“Let’s go,” said Bella.

“Yes,” I agreed, “as long as you promise not to tell my mom.”

lily.welch@thet.net's picture
About the Author: [email protected]
Lily Welch