tobin's picture

Home

Home

A house (also known as a home) is,in a way, like a dog. It cares about you but, if you do not care for it, it can easily turn on you. Each home has a personality; there are angry homes, sad homes and happy homes. Homes also come in all shapes and sizes; some homes are tall and skinny, some are fat and short. There are homes that are built high in the air and homes built far underground. The one thing that all homes have in common is that they care about the people that live in them.  
Let me tell you about my home. My house is very, very old. In fact,  it is 166 years old. Being such an old home it has a long history. When it was first built in 1853 it was a church. As a church it was very happy, it was the center of the community and made many people’s lives better.
When the Civil War came, every one left to fight and did not come back. The church was abandoned by the early 1900s. An abandoned house is like a depressed person. It feels like it has no purpose in life. In most cases, the house falls apart. After forty odd years,  the farmer down the road bought the house and turned it into a barn. As a barn it was no longer depressed but still grumpy; it was in use but still had no one who loved it.
In the early 1980s the barn was bought by a French couple. They turned it into a house and lived there till 1992. During this time, the house was very happy. It was cared about and had people living in it. In 1992, when the French couple moved back France, the house was devastated. It slipped back into a depression and started to fall apart, despite being rented out.
In 2006 my family bought the house. This was the best thing that ever happened to it. There were people living in it and kids playing in in the yard. It was the happiest it had been since being a church over a hundred years ago.

tobin's picture
About the Author: tobin