About the Book Club

Read a good book lately? Leave a comment, a suggestion, a full book review here!

AND ... check out charvermont's Autumn Reads!

just read girl, interrupted. it was so good, does anyone know books with a similar energy?
Looking for YA/middle school fantasy series to read for school-anyone have suggestions? I'm making a list of series
Hello! I'm creating this huge book list to get a lot of books soon. I was wondering if anyone had a good book recommendation that I could add to my list. Anything would be appreciated. Thank you!
Show all 5 comments
Hi! That sounds like a lot of fun!! I read a ton this summer (and I always read a lot), so I have a lot of book suggestions:
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
The Thursday Murder Club
All Girls
On Writing
A ton of other Stephen King books....(Under the Dome, The Shining, Carrie, The Green Mile, Billy Summers, If It Bleeds, Mr. Mercedes, etc.)
Dune
The Hobbit and LOTR
Lord of the Flies
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Narnia series
The Lunar Chronicles
Cat's Cradle
Slaughterhouse Five
1984
Farenheit 451
Moon Over Manifest
Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
The Green Ember (aimed for younger audiences, but it's still really good)
Make Your Bed
Klara and the Sun
Maybe He Just Likes You (also written for younger audiences—still a great message)
Pride and Prejudice
Little Women

I could go on and on, but I'll stop now.......I hope this was helpful!!
09/08/2021 - 6:56pm
Thank you so much! I will definitely look into all those books. (I love Fahrenheit 451 and Cat's Cradle too!)
09/11/2021 - 8:58am
What if It's Us
1984
Ace of Spades,
Everything Everything
Wings of Ebony
Wuthering Hights
The Starless Sea
Shadow and Bone series
They Both Die at the End
09/11/2021 - 5:33pm
Instructions for Dancing
Divergent
Sadie
Red Queen
We Hunt the Flame
Throne of Glass (and all the other books in the series)
The Shadows Between Us
The Cousins
Truly Devious (an amazing remote boarding school mystery trilogy set in VT!)
Animal Farm
Wuthering Heights (I definitely second the recommendation by Geri)
09/12/2021 - 7:11pm
Keeper of the Lost Cities series by Shanon Messenger
Girls of Paper and Fire (+sequal) by Natasha Ngan
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (And yes I know it sounds cheesy but the books are way better than the movies)
Anything by Rebecca Ross, she's fantastic.
Oh, and I know this was already said, but The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas is fantastic! I'm on book 4 out of 8 (not including novellas) and it's REALLY good!!
09/22/2021 - 4:20pm
Has anyone read We Hunt the Flame or We Free the Stars? I just finished the second book, and it was so good!! By far one the best series I've read in a while. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a rich fantasy adventure with a hint of romance.
I just read Ace of Spades. Sooo good. It's a mystery/thriller that's so captivating and fast paced. Every chapter brings a new piece of information to unpack. It also dives into systematic racism in the education system that has been cultivated for years. It's terrifying in its realisticness(if that's a word) and has such a satisfying ending. I highly, highly, recommend!
Oooooh that sounds so interesting!! I'll definitely check it out.
08/26/2021 - 8:25pm
Anyone have have good suggestions and YA fantasy books/series?
Show all 5 comments
The Gilded Ones is a good fantasy
08/05/2021 - 11:56am
The Nightjar by Deborah Hewitt is a great read (and the sequel just came out!!)
08/05/2021 - 12:31pm
I really liked The Hobbit, LOTR, and the Narnia series, but I know some people find them boring (and most have read them already), so for modern fantasy I'd say The Girl Who Drank the Moon and the Green Ember series. The Lunar Chronicles is really good too, but it's part sci-fi.
08/07/2021 - 11:28am
Thank you all so much! Ill definitly try those!
08/09/2021 - 4:02pm
Ranger's Apprentice and Brotherband are both really good fantasy series' I also agree that the lunar chronicles is as excellent as they come.
08/10/2021 - 4:27pm
Hi! A week ago, I finished reading If It Bleeds by Stephen King, and it was so good!! I'm currently reading The Shining, and I finished Carrie a while ago. I'm just wondering—is anyone else here a Stephen King fan? If so, I need some more recommendations for his books! He's written SO MANY and I have no idea which ones are the best...
I wish I were a Stephen King fan but his books are daunting - like I think I would get way too scared and not be able to finish the book lol
07/26/2021 - 12:23pm
Haha, yeah! I actually didn't think Carrie was that scary, but If It Bleeds and The Shining are pretty scary!
07/27/2021 - 11:08am
If you haven't read Pet Cemetary yet then I would suggest that although I never finished it.
08/27/2021 - 2:42pm
Check out Charvermont's Midsummer Reads -- this list will keep growing!
!!!! more books to come to the post so keep an eye out!!
07/22/2021 - 8:39am
currently working on a list of midsummer reads and I'd love it if you guys have any recommendations for me! think easy beach reads, books set during summer, books about nature, etc.

lmk if you have any ideas!!
Show all 4 comments
Ooh summer reading! What If It's Us, and The City We Became are both really good
07/20/2021 - 9:13pm
omg yes Becky Albertalli is such a good writer
07/21/2021 - 8:14am
She is! I swear I CAN'T WAIT until Here's to Us comes out. I want to know what happens so bad!
07/22/2021 - 1:55pm
OMG same! I love her booksss
07/23/2021 - 9:55am
Has anyone ever read the book “The Love That Split The World”? I really would like a second opinion. I was/am super confused!!!
haven't read it but now I'm intrigued ...
07/20/2021 - 5:07pm
anyone reading a good book rn? I'm always needing more to read :)
If your into romance I would suggest “ listen to your heart” by: Kasie West. If you like fantasy I would very highly suggest almost all Maria V. Snyder books. My favorite series are her Study trilogy and her Scent of Magic series. I’m not sure about the correct series title for the last one but Scent of magic is the last book in that series. Hope this is helpful!
07/19/2021 - 6:13pm
omg I love the names of those series - thank you for the recommendation!! I'll check them out
07/20/2021 - 11:25am
Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie, Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery, The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis, and Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton.
09/13/2021 - 6:33pm
we just got our summer reading lists for school and I'm excited for one, and I haven't heard of the others. We're reading Born a Crime by Trevor Noah and The Color of Water by James McBride for English and The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas Freidman for World studies. if anyone has read any of them I'd love your thoughts.
so i finished all of becky albertalli’s books except yes no maybe so, because it’s boring so far and i don’t really like it.
THEY ARE SO GOOD OMG
kate in waiting is my favorite, tied with simon vs. the homo sapiens agenda and what if it’s us!!! help i’m obsessed!!!!
I love Simon vs the Homo sapiens Agenda! It's so sweet and funny and him and Blue are amazing together.
06/26/2021 - 11:15pm
Anyone have any suggestions for a long fantasy series? I love fantasy books but I've read my series TONS of times!(HUGE kotlc and wof series fan!)
Show all 6 comments
Shadow and Bone is a good series. Also there's Six of Crows which takes place after the events of Shadow and Bone, so if you like the series you can keep reading about other characters in that world.
06/26/2021 - 12:43pm
agree, shadow and bone and six of crows! harry potter and percy jackson are both also great, and if you like percy jackson, heroes of olympus is a second great series that comes after it! also, the land of stories, though it’s targeted to a bit of a younger audience, it’s still amazing!!
06/26/2021 - 4:14pm
Thank you guys so much!! I will definitly try all those, thank you!!
06/26/2021 - 6:57pm
I also love fantasy. I would suggest the School For Good and Evil series. It’s fantasy/romance/ friendship book. Very highly recommended!!
06/27/2021 - 5:14pm
ooh agreed with all of these, especially heros of olympus, so good. Also suggest the Lunar Chronicles and Renegades by Marrisa Meyer :)
06/28/2021 - 5:57pm
Thank you so much you all!!
06/30/2021 - 9:40am
Just started reading Of Mice and Men with a kid I'm tutoring, was wondering how ya'll liked the book?
I didn't really like it. 3/4 of the book felt like the author was still introducing the characters and laying down the setting and background. Then all the action happened in the last few chapters. It was also hard for me to find the meaning the book. After I read it I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to tell the reader.
06/24/2021 - 4:25pm
Ah good to know. Yeah I was skipping around and it seemed like the author was introducing the characters and the plot was kinda boring, thanks for the input :)
06/28/2021 - 5:53pm
Is anyone into Agatha Christie's books? I just started Appointment with Death, and had forgotten how good her Hercule Poirot mysteries are!
i love agatha christie! just bought death on the nile to read though i haven’t started it, and my absolute favorite mystery ever is and then there were none. recommended!!!!
06/16/2021 - 5:58pm
I actually just started reading A Carribean Mystery by her!. It's pretty interesting and things are heating up
06/24/2021 - 4:26pm
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgatha Christie!!!
I just read 5 or so of her books in 2 days. XD My favorite so far, and possibly one of my favorite books overall, is Secret Adversary. It was brilliant, and so satisfying.
Cool to meet some other Christie fans! :)
09/01/2021 - 1:18pm
So I love reading fantasy books, they are my favorite and I recently started reading Keeper of The Lost Cites(kotlc) Because one of my teacher recommended it to me. It is one of my favorite series and I've read the whole series twice now! My other favorite series is Wings of Fire(wof) I've read that whole series tons of times now. I'm looking for suggestions on fantasy books like either of those series, anyone know any?
Thank you
Oh I love Keeper of the Lost Cities!! All the characters are so good and the world building is great. Harry Potter is another good fantasy series though you've probably already read them. Shadow and Bone is really good, but it has a darker tone.
06/08/2021 - 6:28pm
toatlly agree with both of you!
06/08/2021 - 7:36pm
Same! Yeah!! Well...I'm not really into Harry Potter because my friend LOVES the books and movies and I hear about them all the time, but I had to watch the movies! Thank you, I'll try seeing if that series is for me!! Thank you so much!
06/13/2021 - 10:04am
oh also I'm curious if anyone here reads nonfiction books as well as poetry/fiction? I like to switch on and off. I just read some fantasy, then fiction, and now I'm reading Orwell On Truth which is a collection of George Orwell's writing on morality/political honesty. I normally have a couple poetry anthologies going too. Right now it's Margaret Atwood & Elizabeth Bishop. Anyways anybody else like this?
Sort of...I read multiple books at the same time. They're mostly fiction, but I do have two nonfictions mixed in there. So far, I haven't read a ton of poetry books, but I wanted to see what poetry Margaret Atwood has written!
06/02/2021 - 11:42am
She's a great poet! Apparently poetry was her first love, but I'm reading Dearly (her newer poems, not the original ones)
06/03/2021 - 12:08pm
Has anyone read The Nightjar by Deborah Hewitt? I stayed up all night reading it ... omg so good & I'm trying to sneak an advanced reader's copy of the next book lol (how can I wait until August?)
If anyone here (maybe above grade 7? ) has not read Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, you NEED to go to the library right. Now. And read it. So powerful and enriching. You might want to try the adapted for young adults version if the original is too hard:)
What are other peoples thoughts on this book?? Such a great read- totally worth it.