About the Book Club

What are your favorite books? Recommend and discuss them here! 

[Logo credit: jbird18, YWP]

List your top 5, 10, 15 book choices.
What is your all-time favorite book?
Favorite character?
Which book do you want to live in?
What's the most memorable book from your childhood?
Comment on other writers' favorites.
Write a book review.
Have fun!

Every year my friend and I make a reading list for our school. Do you have recommendations for next year? The students are between 10 and 18 years old, and we try to have a variety of genres.
I would recommend:
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
8 hours ago
Crescent_Moon, those books are so good!
Here are some I'd recommend:
- Waiting for Unicorns by Beth Hautala
- Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the World by Ashley Herring Blake
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
3 hours ago
The Maze Runner is pretty good. I just read the first book. I wish it was a bit more intense all the way through. For me it started to pick up halfway through. Anyone else read it? Thoughts?
yesss and agreed. I remember it starting pretty slow and the plot seemed stuck. it picked up a lot later on tho. Wasn't my favorite series but I did have a few small heart attacks along the way because there were some nice intense parts, just a lot of unanswered questions.
Also 'shuck' became part of my vocabulary for a while after XD
1 day ago
“Klunck” will definitely be a part of mine. Shuck too! The cool thing is when you say it around someone they don’t understand, it’s hilarious! Lol I love it!
20 hours ago
Harry Potter questions:
1. Favorite teacher
2. Favorite spell
3. If you could save one character from dying, who would it be?
4. If you had to sacrifice a different character (they would die) in exchange for the character you just saved, who would you kill off? (Slightly morbid question, sorry ;)
Show all 6 comments
1. Lupin of course, he’s one of my favorite characters
2. I don’t really have one? I guess expecto patronum
3. Fred or Lupin
4. Hmm do they have to be a main character? Like how about Yaxley or something?
2 days ago
1. McGonagall
2. Riddikulus
3. :( Sirius Black.
4. Umbridge
2 days ago
1. Snape, Lupin, or Slughorn
2. Episkey
3. Siruis, Fred, Tonks, Hedwig
4. Umbridge
2 days ago
1. McGonagall
2. Alohamora
3. Fred, for sure
4. Umbridge, obviously, but if it had to be a main character I would sacrifice Ron for Fred in a heartbeat. Sorry Ron
23 hours ago
I don't think I would sacrifice Ron because Hermione would be like depressed forever and I don't want to do that to her. I don't really love Ron either though
22 hours ago
Wow, I feel bad for Umbridge now. (Not really though ;)
6 hours ago
How would you rank the Harry Potter books? (I kind of stole this idea from NinaEstrella).
Show all 5 comments
1. Goblet of Fire
2. Deathly Hallows
3. Half-Blood Prince
4. Prisoner of Azkaban
5. Order of The Phoenix
6. Chamber of Secrets
7. Sorcerer's Stone
(This is a very loose list and I feel bad writing it but it's how I feel at the moment)
06/01/2020 - 8:38am
1. Goblet of Fire
2. Prisoner of Azkaban
3. Order of the Phoenix
4. Deathly Hallows
5. Half-Blood Prince
6. Sorcerer's Stone
7. Chamber of Secrets
06/01/2020 - 10:11am
I would rate them
1. Goblet of Fire
2. Prisoner of Azkaban
3. Sorcerer's Stone
4. Chamber of Secrets
5. Order of the Phoenix
6. Half-Blood Prince
7. Deathly Hallows
So far everyone like Goblet of Fire the best! XD
06/01/2020 - 3:23pm
1. Halfblood prince
2. Goblet of fire
3. Deathly hallows
4. Prisoner of Azkaban
5. Chamber of secrets
6. Order of the Phoenix
7. Sorcerers stone
2 days ago
1 Prisoner of Azkaban
2 Goblet of Fire
3 Half Blood Prince
4 Order of the Phoenix
5 Deathly Hallows
6 Sorcerers Stone
7 Chamber of Secrets.
Note: I love them all, except for Chamber of Secrets.
1 day ago
Book series-y questions!
1. Favorite series?
2. Least favorite? (if you have one)
3. Series you used to love when you were younger?
4. Series not many people know about, that you think they should?
5. Have you ever tried writing a series of books/stories?
6. Is the plural of series just series? (Just me being curious and not knowing grammar/spelling stuff)
Show all 9 comments
1. Harry Potter
2. Divergent because I never even finished it
3. Goddess Girls aaaaahhhh I was in love with those
4. Willow Falls books
5. Nope. I just don’t have the patience level.
6. Hmmm... I think so? Usually when I’m talking I’ll say serieses just to be clear but I’m not sure....
05/31/2020 - 4:19pm
1. The Savior Series
2. I don't think i've read a series I haven't liked? to be fair I don't usually read series.
3. Ramona and Beezus or the Mercy Watson Series
4. The Everyday Series- I don't know how popular it is but I love it.
5. a series of stories sure.
6. Google has informed me that yes the plural of series is series.
05/31/2020 - 4:37pm
1. Cassandra Clare's trilogy of series
2. Ummm, I don't really have a least favorite
3. Little House on the Praire
4. See #1 ;)
5. I've written a novella but that's about it
6. Yep
05/31/2020 - 7:55pm
1. so far Percy Jackson Olympians but that might change real soon
2. maybe divergent? but I was never into that genre really
3. Agreed with Ninaestrella Goddess Girls, or The Box Car children
4. renegades or The Lunar Chronicles or 'The emerald atlas series'
5. Nope. usually I get to bored to write a second story with the same characters
6. I seriesly don't now the answer to that XD
06/01/2020 - 12:24am
1. right now it's Harry Potter but it changes almost monthly
2. Divergent, I never finished it either NinaEstrella
3. The Sisters Grimm books
4. the Nevermoor books
5. I mostly write unconnected short stories
6. I always say "serieses" lol
06/01/2020 - 7:27am
1 Never shall I choose!
2. Probably Divergent
3. GERONIMO STILTON!!!
4. Strange the Dreamer
5. Can't even finish one book
6. I say serieses too!
2 days ago
Omg, I loved Geronimo Stilton too! I also got obsessed with Thea Stilton.
2 days ago
1. Keeper of the lost cities
2. Divergent, I guess
3. The rainbow fairies :)
4. Phoebe and her unicorn is a hilarious comic book series, definitely for younger kids, but still funny for teens or adults
5. Yup. Didn’t even finish the first chapter of the first book.:) it was going to be a dystopian world where people were sorted into district-type things based on their zodiac sign
6. Good question! Honestly no clue
2 days ago
1. Six of Crows duology....or maybe the Mistborn books...
2. I don't really have a least favorite.
3. Little House on the Prairie
4. Probably the Mistborn books. I don't know if they count as not very well known.
5. I got two books into a trilogy, but by the time I finished the second I already thought the first one was bad so...
6. Probably? Serieses just sounds wrong.
18 hours ago
I have a question for everyone: how would you rate the Hunger Games books from worst to best?
For me I would probably put the first at the top, the second in the middle, and the third at the bottom. I HATED the third book (mockingjay.) it was basically just battle after battle in my opinion. Thoughts?
Yes! I agree with your ranking. I had to force myself to finish the series, which I like, but goes a bit downhill at the end.
05/31/2020 - 2:26pm
I would rate them:

1. Catching Fire
2. The Hunger Games
3. Mockingjay

Catching Fire and Hunger Games are kind of tied, I liked those ones a lot, and I agree with you, it does go a bit downhill at the end.
06/01/2020 - 7:30am
Top Book choices right now
- Renegades (have not finished but its epic)
- Magnus Chase (you'll love the characters)
-The graveyard book (mysterious and spooky but very interesting)
- Uprising (fiction, based on life in america in 1911)
-out of my mind (quick but impactful read)
yes, renegades! i think i've read the first few magnus chase but as they came out so i gave up and have now forgotten most everything hehe...
05/31/2020 - 3:17am
Any good book recommendations? I'm looking for something to read :D
Show all 6 comments
I would recommend Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch (I think that’s her name?) it’s a romantic mystery that’s a bit cheesy but I love it and there’s a sequel.
05/26/2020 - 6:09pm
I just finished the Star Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi, which is a really good fantasy book if you like that genre!
05/28/2020 - 9:08am
Lunar chronicles! by Melissa Meyer :)
05/30/2020 - 1:38pm
The Lunar Chronicles are amazing!!
05/30/2020 - 2:06pm
depends what you're looking for and what you're into i think... if not it's just way too hard to narrow down!
05/31/2020 - 3:18am
This was our school booklist this year, and I recommend all of them:
Estranged by Ethan M. Alridge
George by Alex Gino
March by John Lewis
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
What If? by Randall Munroe
Sabriel by Garth Nix
Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Scythe by Neal Shusterman
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
The Martian by Andy Weir
18 hours ago
Is it bad that I've read the harry potter series eight times...?
Ha, definitely not. I’m a huge Harry Potter nerd as well. I just finished reading the series for the second or third time and I swear I reunited with my old best friends.
05/25/2020 - 4:48pm
How do you organize yor book shelf? I do mine in alphabetical order. You?
Show all 11 comments
I... don't even have a shelf. They just go in a place in my nightstand and the ones I'm currently reading are on a nice cat in the hat pile on top XD. EverlastingWaves i have a friend who also does a rainbow pattern, its so ascetically pleasing
05/30/2020 - 1:36pm
i don't have a shelf at all cuz it didn't fit in my room, i just have a bursting gray bin. the way i tried to organize them is the ones i haven't read on top, but my favorites always end up on my nightstand or desk regardless so hehe
05/31/2020 - 3:20am
The Gallagher Girls series is AMAZING! Full of spies, lies, and romance. I personaly love spy/mystery books. I also really enjoy romance. If you like these too then you MUST READ THIS SERIES!!!!!
Just wondering how people felt about the end of the Divergent series. Try not to say any spoiler alerts however I'm curious if anyone liked the ending. I've got to say I thought the ending was terrible. It made me a little mad at the author. What do you think?
Show all 5 comments
I never finished Divergent, I only read the first book because I knew what happened at the end and I really didn’t want to see that happen!!! It’s not right in my opinion.
05/24/2020 - 2:38pm
Personally, I really liked the ending. It made me like the series more because I thought it was a really unique writing choice, and also because I can't picture it ending any other way what with Tris's personality. At the same time, though, part of me always wishes it had turned out differently! Also, I don't really like chapters from Tobias's perspective after the "big event." :)
05/26/2020 - 9:57am
Never got to the last book because I didn't really like where it was going. Maybe I'll finish it sometime tho
05/30/2020 - 1:37pm
Dancer, I agree! I think the ending was really satisfying, and also realistic. I don’t particularly like the Tobias’s point of view chapters, either, but I kind of liked getting to know what happened and how the other characters were doing. I didn’t really enjoy the third book overall, though. It was kind of repetitive and a bit boring, in my opinion.
05/30/2020 - 7:40pm
I don't really remember it that well, but i do know i did get pretty mad at the ending. but i think even a "happy" ending would've left me unsatisfied so idk maybe it was for the best
05/31/2020 - 3:23am
I got the new Hunger Games prequel: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes!!!
Show all 5 comments
Is it good? I’ve been debating whether or not to read it.
05/23/2020 - 1:21pm
Wow, thats great! I didn't know there was one for the hunger games. I need to look it up now!
05/23/2020 - 1:22pm
So far it hasn't let me down, we'll see though.
05/23/2020 - 8:37pm
AHHH I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS ANOTHER ONE!
*goes to hunt it down*
05/27/2020 - 6:57pm
THERES A PREQUEL. AHHHH
05/31/2020 - 3:23am
You should try reading Counting By 7s! Heres a short explanation of the book from Google because I don't know how to explain it without giving everything away! COUNTING BY 7S tells the story of Willow Chance, a twelve-year-old genius who is obsessed with diagnosing medical conditions and finds comfort in counting by 7s. It has never been easy for her to connect with anyone other than her adoptive parents, but that hasn't kept her from leading a quietly happy life . . . until now.
I'm going to write more in here because I only had 16 words left. But the book is by Holly Goldberg Sloan. If you like Wonder or To Kill A Mockingbird, you'll love this book! If you want more info look here, https://www.hollygoldbergsloan.com/counting-by-7s/.
05/21/2020 - 10:36pm
I read that book; it was really good! I'd recommend it, too!
05/22/2020 - 7:50am
very fond memories reading that in my closet at night :))
05/31/2020 - 3:24am
Does anyone start reading a book or series than stop because they don't like how things are going/changing. Once I started this amazing series then I couldn't bring myself to read the third book b/c the main character had changed in a way I very much disliked. Is that weird?
No, it's not weird that happens to me all the time once when I was reading this pretty long series the main characters started changing to different people and I just didn't like who's point of view they were now telling so I stopped reading the series
05/20/2020 - 2:05pm
A character you wish you were like...
Show all 6 comments
Oh ,so many. In my mind I like to think I'm as brave as some of the characters I read about but the truth is, I'm not. But it's nice to pretend. I can't choose just on character.I wish I was like a lot of them.
05/20/2020 - 1:50pm
*just one*
05/20/2020 - 1:50pm
...Miley Fox, even though she's not in a real book, just a story I made with my friends. We're going to post it on here I just have to find a part I wrote by hand.
05/20/2020 - 3:11pm
I wish I was like Hermione so I got 300 % on all my tests :)
05/20/2020 - 4:33pm
This is hard...I agree with Whitney, there are a lot of book characters I'd like to be like.
05/21/2020 - 8:55am
ahhh, all the witty ones. wish my mind was that fast. but i feel like when im reading im kinda them, so when i do i just go reread my fav parts :)
05/31/2020 - 3:25am
Here's a joke for the Harry Potter fans:
Knock knock!
Who’s there?
You know.
You know who?
Exactly. AVADA KEDAVRA!
Hahaha!
05/19/2020 - 10:31am
Lol!
05/19/2020 - 3:55pm
XD
05/20/2020 - 1:18pm
Funniest Harry Potter moments?
When Hagrid gave Dudley a pig tail!
05/19/2020 - 8:46am
What, in your opinion, was the worst change the Harry Potter movies made to the original story?
Show all 5 comments
If I remember correctly they altered a scene from the fourth. the one in the woods where there is the dark mark in the sky and I think its aurors that all fire at Ron Hermione and Harry. But I don't like that they took out the behind the scenes part where it's revealed that Winky was under the cloak in the bushes. I'm not sure if any of that was English but that makes sense in my head.
also Ginny as a whole. What the hell happened there?
05/17/2020 - 7:16pm
Oh my goodness, yes. The way they portray Ginny in the movies is so disappointing!!! She is such a good character and had great potential on the big screen and they totally botched it.
05/17/2020 - 8:56pm
Ginny is the best characters in the books, she’s so feisty. And in the movies she’s literally there to kiss Harry. Ugh! In my opinion Bonnie Wright was the worst actress they could possibly choose for Ginny. But Emma Watson was perfect! I also think that they portrayed Krum all wrong. People, HE DID NOT TALK IN THE MOVIES. AT ALL. That annoys me.
05/17/2020 - 9:11pm
Also, WHERE ARE THE HOUSE ELVES??? Dobby shows up in two of the movies, Winky doesn't exist, and Kreature shows up in two of the movies as well. S.P.E.W. doesn't exist either, and honestly, it's one of my favorite parts of the books. I love the way Hermione is portrayed and I think that S.P.E.W. would add a little more to her character depth.
05/17/2020 - 9:29pm
Ginny in the movies is just... I'm speechless, that's how bad it is. Also where is Peeves? And what about the De-gnoming scene? sigh
05/18/2020 - 4:15pm
Help me settle an argument...

Who gave Harry gillyweed in the Goblet of Fire?
Dobby or Neville?
Show all 6 comments
One of them does in the book, and the other one does in the movie. I can't remember which though.
05/17/2020 - 10:50am
Dobby in the book
Neville in the Movie
As far as I remember?
05/17/2020 - 10:54am
It was Dobby in the books and Neville in the movies. They decided to cut Dobby from Goblet of Fire for no reason
05/17/2020 - 12:03pm
Yay, thank you, guys! I looked it up just to be sure and I finally proved to my friend I was right.
05/17/2020 - 2:27pm
It always bugs me that they cut Dobby from almost every movie
05/17/2020 - 5:57pm
Me too!
05/18/2020 - 11:48am