About the Book Club

What are your favorite books? Recommend and discuss them here! 

[Logo credit: jbird18, YWP]

List your top 5, 10, 15 book choices.
What is your all-time favorite book?
Favorite character?
Which book do you want to live in?
What's the most memorable book from your childhood?
Comment on other writers' favorites.
Write a book review.
Have fun!

Has anyone read Sylvia Plath? She is my favorite poet! She has such a way with metaphors and twisting your thinking as a reader.
Has anyone ever read, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli?
Yes, I own the book and have read it multiple times!
3 hours ago
i feel like i haven't really been reading and i kinda missed it, so i looked up an ebook yesterday (against my usual judgement) and chugged it down in like 3 hours. it felt amazing
What book?
08/09/2020 - 1:54pm
What's your favorite picture book? I feel like they can get left behind because they're for much younger ages, but a lot of them are really good. I love Owl Moon by Jane Yolen; her writing is really, really beautiful and it's almost like a poem.
Show all 10 comments
I also have If You Give A Mouse A Cookie!! I also own If You Give A Moose A Muffin.
08/10/2020 - 5:36pm
Whitney and Treblemaker, I have so many picture books (the better part of a whole shelf of my bookcase...)!! I don't have If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, but I really liked those books, too!
2 days ago
Have any of you read the king-killer Chronicles? They are my absolute favorite books! If you haven't, I highly recommend them. They are as lyrical as a fable, yet they have the scope of a great 19th century novel and a narrative drive to rival Harry Potter. If you have, I have several questions:

Who do you think Denna's patron is?

Who is the king Kvothe is going to kill in the third book?

How did Kvothe and Bast meet?
I’ve never read it but it sounds so Awesome that I’m gonna ask my librarian for it!!! Up get back to you on those questions soon!!
08/05/2020 - 6:27pm
Yay!!!!! I am always looking for more people to talk about them with:) I have literally read them like twenty times.
08/06/2020 - 12:04am
Here’s a little Percy Jackson questionnaire:
- favorite character?
- least favorite character?
- thoughts on Annabeth vs. Rachel?
Show all 5 comments
Grover is my favorite character.

I hate to say it, but probably Annabeth, she is supposed to be smart, but she always just seems kind of useless.

Rachel.
08/04/2020 - 11:41pm
-Gah it’s so hard to choose! I think Annabeth or Nico.
-I think Grover is pretty boring, but I like everyone else. Even Luke, who I feel kinda bad for.
-ANNABETH FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER.
08/05/2020 - 9:40am
- Leo Valdez and his spakin' hot war machine
- Octavian (because you know, you just can't disrespect the crew and stuffed animals)
- Ditto with NinaEstrella! reason being Annabeth's solo Athena adventure and vacation in tarturus and overall knowledge of everything makes her slightly more epic. (but blue plastic hairbrush weapon will not go unnoticed :)
08/05/2020 - 8:11pm
How on earth could I forget about Leo what is WRONG with me ;)
08/05/2020 - 9:09pm
Yes!!! I just started reading Heroes of Olympus, and Leo is amazing!!! :)
08/06/2020 - 4:39pm
Two Can Keep A Secret Is One Is Dead, is a suspenseful, nail biting mystery. Loved every second. I totally did not expect the ending...
has any one read the 57 bus?
Yes! I loved that book! SO eyeopening
08/01/2020 - 1:56pm
Rules For Being A Girl is an inspiring and touching story of a girl who must overcome a flawed system that is unjust to girls. A book of feminism. It’s truly amazing! I recommend this book to everyone.
If you need a good book to read, The Running Dream is amazing! Its about a high school girl that loves to run track. She gets in a car crash and looses a leg. The book is all about her overcoming the challenges of having one leg and how she helps other people along the way. Its a very well written book!
Dear Ally, How Do You Write a Book? is a book written for teens interested in writing novels. It is really good and I would definitely recommend it if anyone is working on a story/book!
Small Spaces is a reasonably short book compared to what I usually read but it’s quite good. Hey really enjoyed it. Has anyone else read it??
Yes! I've read it, its really good!
07/20/2020 - 8:47am
Nevermoor is such an awesome book. Fantasy, adventure, just so good. I’m rereading it and finding things I missed the first tome. Important lesson:Rereading books is important for finding small crucial details!
I love Nevermoor!!! I can't wait for the next book to come out!!!!
07/15/2020 - 8:30pm
I am doing a homeschool summer reading challenge and need to read a biography any recommendations?
ooo ok Educated by Tara Westover is so amazing, but if you get the chance Glass Castle is def the more popular one and also super amazing
07/16/2020 - 1:10pm
Frostbite, are you homeschooled? I am to :)
07/24/2020 - 9:59am
Claudette Colvin : Twice Towards Justice
07/30/2020 - 11:47pm
Has any1 read the book "The Little Princess" If not I highly recommend. It is one of my favorites.
Show all 5 comments
Yes, I have! It’s a great one for a cozy comfort book :)
07/09/2020 - 2:53pm
Oh my gosh I read that such a long time ago I really don’t remember any of it! I do remember really liking it, though!
07/10/2020 - 2:07pm
So many times, it's a favorite
07/10/2020 - 3:14pm
Same!! I haven't reread it in a while but it makes me really happy and is good for when you are awake at night and need a way to relax...
07/13/2020 - 8:36pm
yes it'as amazing
07/30/2020 - 11:48pm
If you're into fantasy and have the patience for some fairly long books, please check out the Mistborn trilogy! I'm rereading it, and they're definitely some of my favorite books.
I’m I’m a total fantasy fan. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m gonna check it out.
07/08/2020 - 5:39pm
Sounds good!
07/09/2020 - 12:12pm
Are you a bookmark person, you a doggy-ear the page person, or an I'll-just-remember-where-I-am type of person?
Show all 10 comments
I dog ear and occasionally flip the book over on a table or just grab anything near me and use it as a bookmark
07/09/2020 - 8:18am
bookmark usually, i'll use anything (one time i used money and my friends took it out... so yeah, don't use money)
07/16/2020 - 1:11pm
The Hate U Give is such a touching book. A great read especially during this black lives matter movement. I encourage everyone to read the story of an African American girl and the world she faced. It really helps to open your eyes.
Show all 5 comments
Agreed! Just finished it and its really eye opening to the different lives and mindsets and completely in synch with the BLM movement. it really helps to clarify the movement and its values, and its also a great story! Plus I find its really well written and quite a page turner. Like a 5 in the morning page turner...
07/03/2020 - 8:23pm
I've never read that, but I would say a book like it would be Brown Girl Dreaming. Just read it recently and was so eye opening.
07/04/2020 - 5:56pm
1--I should read it, it sounds really good and important to read!
2--NiñaEstrella, I read Brown Girl Dreaming last fall, I really enjoyed it!
07/04/2020 - 6:36pm
It's insanely good!!
07/05/2020 - 3:38pm
Ooh I love The Hate U Give! so good and important!
07/19/2020 - 2:50pm
Do you ever skip through books to see what's going to happen?
Show all 12 comments
I occasionally can’t control myself and do flip to the end ;)
07/08/2020 - 6:32pm
I do, I can't help myself! Sometimes when I first get a book, I'll read some random pages in the middle so I can get more excited to read it...
07/19/2020 - 2:52pm
I need to pick a memoir to read for school and I'm being indecisive. So, if anyone's got any good memoir suggestions I'd really appreciate them.
I have only read a few memoirs but they've all been amazing:
- I am Malala (Malala Yousafzai, an activist)
- How to be a Good Creature (Sy Montgomery, who writes about animals)
- The Elephant Whisperer (Lawrence Anthony, about his experiences with a herd of elephants)
07/01/2020 - 7:48am
Thanks! i'll check them out
07/02/2020 - 10:58pm
I am Malala is amazing,
07/03/2020 - 12:29pm