About the Book Club

Read a good book lately? Leave a comment, a suggestion, a full book review here!

AND ... check out charvermont's Autumn Reads!

Project Hail Mary is an awesome new Sci-fi read!
guys I'm currently reading The Dutch House by Ann Patchett and it is just so good I can't like what is going on omg

somebody else pls read it so we can talk about how wonderful and strange it is
Has anyone else read the Tapestry series by Henry H. Neff?
I haven't, but I looked it up, and it sounds like a mix between Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger and The New York Academy of Magic series by Sean Fletcher. Looks cool :)
11/03/2021 - 3:25pm
I'm looking for a new series to read this month...does anyone have any suggestions? I'm a senior and love dystopian novels, fantasy, and creatively plotted mysteries.
Show all 4 comments
All the dystopian/fantasy stuff I've read is pretty well-known, so I'm sure you've already read them. I have started reading mystery novels/thrillers...my favorite ones have been Billy Summers by Stephen King, but it's also a thriller. I don't know if you can really call it a mystery, though. Mr. Mercedes was another great one by him, and it's more of a mystery than Billy Summers, but it's also crime fiction/thriller too. The Thursday Murder Club is also SUPER good—it's about a bunch of people who live at retirement village, and they're part of a 'murder club' (basically they try to solve other unsolved mysteries) and then a local murder mystery pops up in the village. They try to solve it, and it's really entertaining and clever. That was one of my favorite books that I read this year. Lastly, you've probably read it, but The Da Vinci Code was really really good. It's kind of long and pretty detailed, but mind-blowing (at least for me). I hope this was helpful!
10/07/2021 - 10:18pm
Thanks so much! I'll definitely check those out. I really like Stephen King's books, but haven't read Billy Summers or Mr. Mercedes yet.
10/08/2021 - 9:44pm
Have you read Agatha Christie? :D
10/12/2021 - 11:01am
Yes! I love her books. And Then There Were None and The Mysterious Affair at Styles are some of my favorites.
10/25/2021 - 10:37am
just read girl, interrupted. it was so good, does anyone know books with a similar energy?
Looking for YA/middle school fantasy series to read for school-anyone have suggestions? I'm making a list of series
Show all 4 comments
Ummm I'd say Harry Potter (but you've probably read that already), Percy Jackson (same with this one), The Hunger Games, although it's not really fantasy, Wings of Fire (I wasn't a huge fan, but I know a lot of people who loved these books), and the Land of Stories, which I've never read, but have been told too many times that it's a great series. Narnia and LOTR are REALLY good, but it's not for everyone. The Enchanted Forest Chronicles are pretty good, but I read them a long time ago (in like 3rd grade) so it might be too young for middle school. The Green Ember Series is good too, but I'm not sure what the age group is for those books.

I hope this was helpful! :)
09/26/2021 - 12:03pm
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo is a great series and the duology Six of Crows that comes after it is AMAZING. I highly recommend
09/26/2021 - 7:42pm
The Thrown of Glass is a really good book series, though it does have some explicit content.
09/29/2021 - 5:28pm
I really liked Fablehaven, but I read it when I was probably in 4th or 5th grade. It may be a bit young, but from what I remember, it would probably be a good middle school book. The Pegasus series and Valkyrie by Kate O'Hern are also amazing. If you like mythology but have already ready Percy Jackson, I'd definitely recommend them!
10/04/2021 - 1:45pm
Hello! I'm creating this huge book list to get a lot of books soon. I was wondering if anyone had a good book recommendation that I could add to my list. Anything would be appreciated. Thank you!
Show all 5 comments
Hi! That sounds like a lot of fun!! I read a ton this summer (and I always read a lot), so I have a lot of book suggestions:
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
The Thursday Murder Club
All Girls
On Writing
A ton of other Stephen King books....(Under the Dome, The Shining, Carrie, The Green Mile, Billy Summers, If It Bleeds, Mr. Mercedes, etc.)
Dune
The Hobbit and LOTR
Lord of the Flies
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Narnia series
The Lunar Chronicles
Cat's Cradle
Slaughterhouse Five
1984
Farenheit 451
Moon Over Manifest
Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
The Green Ember (aimed for younger audiences, but it's still really good)
Make Your Bed
Klara and the Sun
Maybe He Just Likes You (also written for younger audiences—still a great message)
Pride and Prejudice
Little Women

I could go on and on, but I'll stop now.......I hope this was helpful!!
09/08/2021 - 6:56pm
Thank you so much! I will definitely look into all those books. (I love Fahrenheit 451 and Cat's Cradle too!)
09/11/2021 - 8:58am
What if It's Us
1984
Ace of Spades,
Everything Everything
Wings of Ebony
Wuthering Hights
The Starless Sea
Shadow and Bone series
They Both Die at the End
09/11/2021 - 5:33pm
Instructions for Dancing
Divergent
Sadie
Red Queen
We Hunt the Flame
Throne of Glass (and all the other books in the series)
The Shadows Between Us
The Cousins
Truly Devious (an amazing remote boarding school mystery trilogy set in VT!)
Animal Farm
Wuthering Heights (I definitely second the recommendation by Geri)
09/12/2021 - 7:11pm
Keeper of the Lost Cities series by Shanon Messenger
Girls of Paper and Fire (+sequal) by Natasha Ngan
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (And yes I know it sounds cheesy but the books are way better than the movies)
Anything by Rebecca Ross, she's fantastic.
Oh, and I know this was already said, but The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas is fantastic! I'm on book 4 out of 8 (not including novellas) and it's REALLY good!!
09/22/2021 - 4:20pm
Has anyone read We Hunt the Flame or We Free the Stars? I just finished the second book, and it was so good!! By far one the best series I've read in a while. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a rich fantasy adventure with a hint of romance.
I just read Ace of Spades. Sooo good. It's a mystery/thriller that's so captivating and fast paced. Every chapter brings a new piece of information to unpack. It also dives into systematic racism in the education system that has been cultivated for years. It's terrifying in its realisticness(if that's a word) and has such a satisfying ending. I highly, highly, recommend!
Oooooh that sounds so interesting!! I'll definitely check it out.
08/26/2021 - 8:25pm
Anyone have have good suggestions and YA fantasy books/series?
Show all 5 comments
The Gilded Ones is a good fantasy
08/05/2021 - 11:56am
The Nightjar by Deborah Hewitt is a great read (and the sequel just came out!!)
08/05/2021 - 12:31pm
I really liked The Hobbit, LOTR, and the Narnia series, but I know some people find them boring (and most have read them already), so for modern fantasy I'd say The Girl Who Drank the Moon and the Green Ember series. The Lunar Chronicles is really good too, but it's part sci-fi.
08/07/2021 - 11:28am
Thank you all so much! Ill definitly try those!
08/09/2021 - 4:02pm
Ranger's Apprentice and Brotherband are both really good fantasy series' I also agree that the lunar chronicles is as excellent as they come.
08/10/2021 - 4:27pm
Hi! A week ago, I finished reading If It Bleeds by Stephen King, and it was so good!! I'm currently reading The Shining, and I finished Carrie a while ago. I'm just wondering—is anyone else here a Stephen King fan? If so, I need some more recommendations for his books! He's written SO MANY and I have no idea which ones are the best...
I wish I were a Stephen King fan but his books are daunting - like I think I would get way too scared and not be able to finish the book lol
07/26/2021 - 12:23pm
Haha, yeah! I actually didn't think Carrie was that scary, but If It Bleeds and The Shining are pretty scary!
07/27/2021 - 11:08am
If you haven't read Pet Cemetary yet then I would suggest that although I never finished it.
08/27/2021 - 2:42pm
Check out Charvermont's Midsummer Reads -- this list will keep growing!
!!!! more books to come to the post so keep an eye out!!
07/22/2021 - 8:39am
currently working on a list of midsummer reads and I'd love it if you guys have any recommendations for me! think easy beach reads, books set during summer, books about nature, etc.

lmk if you have any ideas!!
Show all 4 comments
Ooh summer reading! What If It's Us, and The City We Became are both really good
07/20/2021 - 9:13pm
omg yes Becky Albertalli is such a good writer
07/21/2021 - 8:14am
She is! I swear I CAN'T WAIT until Here's to Us comes out. I want to know what happens so bad!
07/22/2021 - 1:55pm
OMG same! I love her booksss
07/23/2021 - 9:55am
Has anyone ever read the book “The Love That Split The World”? I really would like a second opinion. I was/am super confused!!!
haven't read it but now I'm intrigued ...
07/20/2021 - 5:07pm
anyone reading a good book rn? I'm always needing more to read :)
If your into romance I would suggest “ listen to your heart” by: Kasie West. If you like fantasy I would very highly suggest almost all Maria V. Snyder books. My favorite series are her Study trilogy and her Scent of Magic series. I’m not sure about the correct series title for the last one but Scent of magic is the last book in that series. Hope this is helpful!
07/19/2021 - 6:13pm
omg I love the names of those series - thank you for the recommendation!! I'll check them out
07/20/2021 - 11:25am
Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie, Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery, The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis, and Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton.
09/13/2021 - 6:33pm
we just got our summer reading lists for school and I'm excited for one, and I haven't heard of the others. We're reading Born a Crime by Trevor Noah and The Color of Water by James McBride for English and The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas Freidman for World studies. if anyone has read any of them I'd love your thoughts.
so i finished all of becky albertalli’s books except yes no maybe so, because it’s boring so far and i don’t really like it.
THEY ARE SO GOOD OMG
kate in waiting is my favorite, tied with simon vs. the homo sapiens agenda and what if it’s us!!! help i’m obsessed!!!!
I love Simon vs the Homo sapiens Agenda! It's so sweet and funny and him and Blue are amazing together.
06/26/2021 - 11:15pm
Anyone have any suggestions for a long fantasy series? I love fantasy books but I've read my series TONS of times!(HUGE kotlc and wof series fan!)
Show all 6 comments
Shadow and Bone is a good series. Also there's Six of Crows which takes place after the events of Shadow and Bone, so if you like the series you can keep reading about other characters in that world.
06/26/2021 - 12:43pm
agree, shadow and bone and six of crows! harry potter and percy jackson are both also great, and if you like percy jackson, heroes of olympus is a second great series that comes after it! also, the land of stories, though it’s targeted to a bit of a younger audience, it’s still amazing!!
06/26/2021 - 4:14pm
Thank you guys so much!! I will definitly try all those, thank you!!
06/26/2021 - 6:57pm
I also love fantasy. I would suggest the School For Good and Evil series. It’s fantasy/romance/ friendship book. Very highly recommended!!
06/27/2021 - 5:14pm
ooh agreed with all of these, especially heros of olympus, so good. Also suggest the Lunar Chronicles and Renegades by Marrisa Meyer :)
06/28/2021 - 5:57pm
Thank you so much you all!!
06/30/2021 - 9:40am
Just started reading Of Mice and Men with a kid I'm tutoring, was wondering how ya'll liked the book?
I didn't really like it. 3/4 of the book felt like the author was still introducing the characters and laying down the setting and background. Then all the action happened in the last few chapters. It was also hard for me to find the meaning the book. After I read it I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to tell the reader.
06/24/2021 - 4:25pm
Ah good to know. Yeah I was skipping around and it seemed like the author was introducing the characters and the plot was kinda boring, thanks for the input :)
06/28/2021 - 5:53pm
Is anyone into Agatha Christie's books? I just started Appointment with Death, and had forgotten how good her Hercule Poirot mysteries are!
i love agatha christie! just bought death on the nile to read though i haven’t started it, and my absolute favorite mystery ever is and then there were none. recommended!!!!
06/16/2021 - 5:58pm
I actually just started reading A Carribean Mystery by her!. It's pretty interesting and things are heating up
06/24/2021 - 4:26pm
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgatha Christie!!!
I just read 5 or so of her books in 2 days. XD My favorite so far, and possibly one of my favorite books overall, is Secret Adversary. It was brilliant, and so satisfying.
Cool to meet some other Christie fans! :)
09/01/2021 - 1:18pm