About the Book Club

What are your favorite books? Recommend and discuss them here! 

List your top 5, 10, 15 ...
Who is your favorite character?
What's the most memorable book from your childhood?
Comment on other writers' choices.
Write a book review.
Have fun!

I'm currently reading Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer - it's AMAZING !! anybody else read it? if you haven't please, please, do!! personally, I love it because the author is a poet/biologist which really inspires me as I hope to study biology in college but poetry is my other passion
but it's really about building a loving and reciprocal relationship with the earth (it's not hard facts about science, don't worry) and it's really been changing parts of me for the better these past few days
7 hours ago
I'm on a rampage of re-reading the "School For Good and Evil" series and although I've already read it I CAN'T PUT IT DOWN!!!! Can anyone else relate?
Just wait until you get to book six... It's good. Watch you finish all six books before I even finish one :)
10 hours ago
Ooh it’s rly good! I’ve read the first two I believe and they were great!
5 hours ago
I need to pick a historical fiction book for English class and I'm stumped. Any suggestions?
Show all 8 comments
“Between Shades Of Gray”. It’s a fictional story based on events during and after wwII. It’s not about Hitler though, it’s actually about the soviets and the people they captured and put on labor camps. It’s a very powerful story that needs to be told. I suggest it most strongly.
01/09/2021 - 5:20pm
Thanks, Whitney, I'll check it out.
01/10/2021 - 1:01pm
I'm not a huge fan of Historical fic but i did love 'The Book thief' its a little gritty but the storyline and narrative is very good :)
01/10/2021 - 5:15pm
The Downstairs Girl by Stacy Lee is pretty good! I also LOVED Lovely War by Julie Berry, but that is a combo of historical fiction and fantasy.
01/11/2021 - 4:50pm
i LOVE historical fiction! agree with Treblemaker. The Book Thief (has an interesting narrative from Death’s point of view, about WWII) or Samurai Shortstop (humorous and about Japanese culture)! My all time favorite, however, is ‘Between Shades of Grey’. AMAZING read, also about WWII.
01/11/2021 - 8:25pm
I don;t know if this counts as historical fiction. But the book of longings is one of the best things I have read all year. It basically imagines Jesus has a wife then tells the story from her point of view. Though I would also suggest Gentleman in Moscow. It's a excellent book, especially if you want to learn about wine pairings:)
01/12/2021 - 1:24am
Theres a good one about the Romanovs but I cant remember for the life of me what its called...
01/12/2021 - 7:44pm
thanks, everybody (:
1 day ago
What was everyone's top 3-5 books that they read in 2020? :D
Handmaids Tale
Renegades
The Hate You Give
Magnus Chase
Show all 6 comments
I mean it's kind of a blur, I think these were all from 2020 XD
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Just Mercy
The Upside of Unrequited
Ask the Passengers.... there's a strong chance I didn't actually read it this year but idek anymore. I'm counting it as a reread. xD
01/07/2021 - 11:06pm
Song of Achilles
Exile and the Kingdom
Eastward to Tartary
The Book of Longing
On Earth we are Briefly Gorgeous
01/08/2021 - 2:34am
- The Inheritance Games
- Dorthy Must Die series
- An Unwanted Guest
- The Evil Queen
- The Evil Librarian
01/09/2021 - 5:24pm
- The Shadows Between Us
- House of Earth and Blood
- And Then There Were None
- The Cruel Prince (and the rest of that series)
01/11/2021 - 4:55pm
- A Court of Thorns and Roses
- Handmaid’s Tale XD
- Between Shades of Gray (series)
- The Hate U Give
- The Odyssey
01/11/2021 - 8:27pm
Sense and Sensibility
Becoming
The Hobbit
To Kill a Mockingbird
Transcendent Kingdom
7 hours ago
Anyone read Circe? Soo good!
Yes. It was exquisite! But I liked her first book, Achilles, even better.
01/07/2021 - 6:30pm
Great! Ill give it a try!
01/08/2021 - 12:24pm
Yes! I loved it!
01/09/2021 - 7:38am
another book recommendation: Legend, by Marie Lu. I could not stop reading!!! great if you like dystopian/ action with some romance.
Love her books!
01/04/2021 - 1:32am
I just finished reading “Between Shades Of Gray”and it’s very powerful. The story is inspired by true events but with fictional characters. I was completely unaware of the struggles some people faced until I read this book. Did you know there were labor camps for more than 12 years after wwII?The author at the end states that the story of these people must be passed along because they were never allowed to talk about the horrors of their life or else they would be re-inprisoned.You must read it!
Ruta Sepetys is one of my favorite authors! i read “Between Shades of Gray”, too, and it is beautiful. Well-written and powerful. Each character was such and inspiration for me when they were faced with their own personal struggles. yes! would totally recommend it to anyone looking for a good historical fiction novel!!
01/05/2021 - 1:12am
OOh, sounds really good. I'll have to check it out :)
01/07/2021 - 10:19pm
Ruta Sepetys is also one of my favorite authors! I also have to recommend The Fountains Of Silence, which is also by her.
01/09/2021 - 7:40am
I just finished The Queen of the Tearling. Would absolutely recommend, though probably for older readers.
Seriously it was soooo good!!!
Update: Haven’t been here in a while and noticed I commented I was reading Mr. Darcy takes a wife. NOOOO THANK YOU. When I got it, i realized that I hadn’t done my research and it was an erotic novel. I returned it within five minutes...:)
AHAHAH! when you mentioned the book, i searched it up and went, “woah, you were reading thAT?!” lol
01/05/2021 - 1:10am
Me and my sister both just finished reading The Vanderbeekers of 141st street. Great read if you want a holiday book to read with younger siblings! I would recommend age 7-12 maybe. Otherwise it would be to babyish or ou wouldn't understand what is happening.
I just finished the Inheritance Games. PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU HAVE READ IT WE MUST DISCUSS. XD as you can see I would definitely recommend for the mystery-romance genre, though not very romance centered.
I got it for Christmas and just read it... it was AMAZING!! I need the sequel NOW!! Unfortunately it won’t be out for a while ^sighs*
01/01/2021 - 7:38pm
Agreed, the sequel needs to hurry up!!!!
01/02/2021 - 3:09pm
Just finished Like Water For Chocolate. It was a school read and I read it cover to cover it was so good! Definitely for older readers but the writing style and plot is absolutely amazing. The author uses Magical realism which is so hard to wrap your brain around and so cool to think abouttt.
Show all 4 comments
I love magical realism! Have you read anything Isabel Allende?
12/16/2020 - 6:54pm
I have not, any recommendations? :P
12/19/2020 - 3:52pm
Yes. The city of the beasts. It's one of my all time favorite books! It has wonderful characters!
12/19/2020 - 4:53pm
Cool :) I hold anything you read in the highest regards so naturally I will check it out soon !
12/19/2020 - 9:52pm
Ok, I feel like such a geek, but I am reading this obscure, but really fascinating text about how the Romans viewed the Christians. Anybody else read random academic essays they find in free-little-libraries, or am I alone in this?
Not really my reading interested at the moment, but my friend read the federalist paper and other old political/law thingies for fun, she was very obsorbed in it and it was kinda funny. But glad you found something interesting and honestly that sounds really cool :)
12/16/2020 - 4:03pm
I just finished A Wild Winter Swan by Gregory Maguire (he wrote Wicked!) which is a retelling of the fairy tale of the twelve brothers who are turned into swans and then their sister weaves shirts for them to make them human again, but one brother's shirt sleeve is unfinished so he still has a swan wing. SUCH a good book and set in NYC in December. Has anyone read it? If not, def try it out!!
Ooh, sounds cool! I’ve read that fairytale, so I will definitely check this out!
12/12/2020 - 11:24am
I read the Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks for a book club at school. I can’t decide how I feel about it. I liked some of it and disliked a lot of it. Has anyone read?
Has anyone else read the Scythe series? I’m blanking on the author right now, but I just finished the first book and it’s pretty good! I would recommend as long as you’re good with a lot of gore.
Yes! I loved the Scythe series. It is very different than any series I've read before. That just made me love it even more, though!
12/08/2020 - 9:27am
I am going to read it probably in the near future!
12/08/2020 - 11:53am
Awesome!
12/09/2020 - 11:35am
just finished The Great Gatsby. Highly recommend!!!!!
haha glad you liked it. I could not get into that book actually. I think there was too much symbolism that I didn't get
12/12/2020 - 2:21am
One of my all time favorite book series is Keeper of the Lost Cities. Has anyone else read it? If so who is your favorite character?
Show all 7 comments
YESSS!!! I love it. My favorite character.... that’s so hard but probably Keefe and Sophie. I can’t decide.
12/03/2020 - 5:47pm
My favorite character would have to be... um maybe... Okay nevermind I love them all! (Not the bad guys though) but out of them I would have to say Ro.
12/04/2020 - 7:33am
Omg!!!!!! I love Kotlc so much and I can never find anyone else who’s read it! I love love love Keefe and Ro!
12/04/2020 - 9:38pm
Have you read book 8.5 yet? There is lots of pictures...
12/05/2020 - 7:34am
Yes, I have! I loved seeing the illustrations, but I feel like I didn’t really get any of the answers I wanted, and it was just sort of there to set up the next book.
12/05/2020 - 7:05pm
Yes. I feel the same way. There are certain things I need to know.
12/05/2020 - 10:26pm
Definitely. ;)
12/09/2020 - 11:35am
I just finished reading The Murder of Rodger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. The ending was so surprising - I didn't suspect it for a second! Has anyone read it?
Started it, but never finished it... I love Agatha Christie!!
12/01/2020 - 8:32pm
So do I!
12/02/2020 - 8:59am
In general, I at least like pretty much all books I read, but there have been a couple that I absolutely hated. Out of curiosity, what are you’re guys’s least favorite books? I think mine is probably the candy makers by Wendy Mass. I can see how it might be an interesting concept, but I had to put it down because honestly I was so bored it was just terrible. XD
Show all 9 comments
The call of the wild. I had to read it for sixth grade literature with an awesome teacher but i couldn’t read it w/o falling asleep. Thank god for audio books.
11/25/2020 - 10:08am
Lord of the flies. I hated that book with a passion. Also I really didn't like the rangers apprentice.
11/25/2020 - 11:54am
Lord of the Flies, the Odyssey and Farenheit 51 I HATED those books :) I actually liked the Candymakers a lot tho @dogpoet! Agree to disagree... ;)
11/26/2020 - 8:11am
Haha, sure! ;)
11/26/2020 - 2:50pm
The Call of the Wild for sure, I had it for school but I never finished the last chapter. @dogpoet I love The Candymakers and all of Wendy Mass's books, we can still be friends tho lol
11/28/2020 - 10:19pm
Lol crescentmoon :) I actually really like some of Wendy Mass’s other books! In general I think she’s a great author.
12/01/2020 - 8:21am
Lord of the flies is definitely on the list for me too. The entire concept was a bit bizzar to me. Also a tale of two cities- which has a really good plot but actually reading it was extremely tiring and confusing. @LadyMindnight I really liked the Odyssey tho! Agree to disagree XD
12/01/2020 - 11:54am
I actually really liked the odyssey as well!
12/01/2020 - 6:06pm
Aw I didn't think Lord of the Flies was that bad! And @Yellow Sweater, agree to disagree on Ranger's Apprentice. :) The few ones I remember is probably the Uglies series (got real bizarre) and Wuthering Heights, and a mild dislike on KOTLC.
12/14/2020 - 4:52pm