About the Book Club

Read a good book lately?
Leave a comment, a suggestion, a list of your favorites here!

NEW! CHARVERMONT's SPRING PICKS!
Favorite books for every season!

I'm currently reading (but nearly done with) The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. It is SO. GOOD. I highly highly recommend it to anyone who likes Greek mythology, or just really poetic and absolutely beautiful writing.
Right now I'm reading Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno, and it is an amazing magical realism (young adult) read!! I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to read books about island life, romance, and/or mystery.
Anyone else read anything by Kate Milford? I am currently figuring out how to get my hands on every book she’s ever written.
Yeah! I've read her Greenglass house series
04/10/2022 - 4:28pm
I'm reading a book with a kind of concerning title, but I swear it's really interesting. Men Who Hate Women by Laura Bates is about the growing online communities of men's rights activists, self described "incels", pick up artists and trolls that spread misogyny, and how that correlates with how women are treated in the real world. It's an emotional and possibly triggering read, but if you're interested in this kind of stuff, supported by lots of stats, I'd suggest it!
I just finished a couple books I really liked, and wanted to pass them on:
The Real Boy by Anne Ursu, and The Mostly True Story of Jack by Kelly Barnhill. Both are beautiful fascinating fantasy stories.
I love Kelly Barnhill's books! Her novels The Witches Boy and The Girl Who Drank the Moon are my favorites. The Mostly True Story of Jack is pretty cool too
03/13/2022 - 1:21pm
Ooh, I love The Girl Who Drank the Moon! I’ll have to read Kelly Barnhill’s other books.
03/19/2022 - 9:34am
I just read You'll Be the Death of Me by Karen M. McManus. It was a great read! All her books are good if you're looking for a modern-day mystery.
(part one)
Two books/magazines that I read recently: The Iowa Review and Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
For those who don't know, The Iowa Review is a literary magazine that comes out 3 times a year, published in the University of Iowa. I recommend it for anyone who likes prose, non-fiction essays, and poetry. Everything I read in this issue (51/1) was incredible, but some of it is pretty heavy, so I'd recommend it for mostly high schoolers and mature middle schoolers.
(part two)
Half of a Yellow Sun was mind-blowing. It's about the Biafran War in the late 60s in Nigeria. The characters are so well-rounded and well-written, and the story is really engaging. I've only read one other piece by this author (We Should All Be Feminists, a collection of essays, which I also recommend) and this novel makes me want to read more of her works. Again—it's pretty heavy and graphic.
02/25/2022 - 9:02pm
These sound interesting! I'll check them out!
03/01/2022 - 1:20pm
I've started reading the Throne of Glass book 1 online and I really want to get the actual book but some people say the series is for ages 16+, if anyones read the series can you tell me what you think its rated? Thanks :)
Well, I think the later you get into the books, say, book 5 and on getting somewhat explicit. I think it's a personal thing I suppose. I have two more books to go, but, I do love the series, but it's most definitely a young-adult series rather than a middle-grade per se. (But if you do continue on, I would recommend the hard-cover copy, but I also hate reading books digitally, so that's kind of my personal thing).
If you decide to read the series, I hope you like it just as much as me :D
01/30/2022 - 6:57pm
Thank you!! I feel like I'll be fine reading the books (I'm 13) and the books sound really good so I think I'll get them!! Thank you for the help! :D
01/31/2022 - 7:05am
Any time :)
02/02/2022 - 8:39am
Hi!
Does anyone have any good books for 6th graders??
Show all 4 comments
Yes!! I 100% recommend
The Wings of Fire series (and legend books)
The kotlc series (I started reading it in 7th)
A dogs way home and all the other books in that series (and the movies) But the books are really sad so have some tissues with you!
Out of my mind
Out of my heart
Blended (Sharon Draper)
Harry potter ( I don't like it but you might)
Percy Jackson
Land of stories
01/29/2022 - 2:56pm
The Mysterious Benedict Society series
Greenglass House series
Echo by Pam Muñoz Ryan
Harry Potter (even though you've probably already read it)
A Mango Shaped Space
Land of Stories series
Like Flowergirl12300 said, KOTLC

01/31/2022 - 3:16pm
Your suggestions are great, Geri!! I agree with everything you stated. In 5th grade I tried to read Echo but the book was just so thick... so I couldn't even get past the first chapter! I don't know why I did that, maybe because I just felt like it wouldn't be too exciting? (Because I did read some long books and series during that period) Though I think I should at least read Echo once.
Also, my little brother and sister recently became so obsessed with the Land of Stories series... I think they checked out the entire Chris Colfer reserve at the library! They even got the random ones like the Reader's Guide or something like that.
Also (x2) it's such a coincidence because I wandered around the children's section the other day and checked out the Greenglass 1st book for fun! I haven't gotten to reading it yet but I know that it'll be good after your recommendation! I've been reading a bunch of those "classics" recently. I honestly don't think they are helping me improve my literature level - it's only my mind tricking myself into thinking my reading skills might be becoming more sophisticated... anyways I need a break from all those "oughts" and Jane Austen's "I ask you to give me leave to apologize" sort of stuff. Haha!
02/01/2022 - 1:48am
thank you so much!!
02/01/2022 - 6:20pm
If you were to bury a book inside a time capsule for future readers, what book would you choose?
Show all 7 comments
Lord of the Rings/Silmarillion
01/28/2022 - 9:35am
The Sun Is Also A Star or Twilight
01/28/2022 - 11:31am
Stamped; The Remix, but Twilight is also a great option :D
01/28/2022 - 1:47pm
Agh there's so many...I guess To Kill A Mockingbird or Devotions (by Mary Oliver)
01/28/2022 - 7:23pm
Blended by Sharon Draper in case there are separations like there are today.
01/29/2022 - 2:58pm
Wow, thanks everyone! And that's really insightful, @Flowergirl. Blended seems like a great read! I haven't read Silmarillion or Devotions yet as well but I'm placing holds right now. I'll update on the process!
02/01/2022 - 1:55am
Out of My Mind by Sharon M Draper
02/01/2022 - 6:21pm
Hi ! I recently read:
Human Acts by Han Kang
There There by Tommy Orange
I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak

All were pretty good, except There There felt so surreal - I couldn't believe that the ending... was actually the ending! I can't believe the story went in that direction, I mean. But it was really touching and inspiring.
I Am The Messenger let me down a bit. I felt that some parts were odd and the whole thing didn't exactly tie together perfectly.
I'm currently reading Giovanni's Room!
I read There There a few months ago!! I agree with you about the ending—I was super surprised, but it was a really good story.
I've only read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (for school) but I'd like to try to read more of his works.
Human Acts sounds really interesting! I'll definitely check it out.
01/18/2022 - 11:19pm
To anyone who has read the Shadow and Bone series or Six of Crows, the second season of the show is starting production!!!!! IM SO EXCITED
I watched the show Shadow and Bone and it was so good! I'm happy and excited that another season is coming out!!
I haven't read Six of Crows but I really want to.
01/26/2022 - 5:56pm
Oh you totally should! Six of Crows is even better than Shadow and Bone
01/28/2022 - 11:33am
Recently started Once Upon a Broken Heart by Stephanie Garber. It's so good! I'd definitely recommend if you're a fan of books that feel like fairy tales.
I recommend Kate In Waiting by Becky Albertalli. It's so funny and entertaining. I feel like she really gets to the heart of being a teenager and creates a story that's actually relatable. She also wrote Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda and co wrote What If It's Us which are also amazing books
Two book recommendations that I recently read—A Conspiracy of Stars by Olivia A. Cole and Call Us What We Carry by Amanda Gorman. The first one is sci-fi, and it's a really fun/entertaining read. I wouldn't say it's a super life-changing or mind-blowing book, but it's interesting and I enjoyed it a lot. Call Us What We Carry was inCreDibLe. I'm absolutely in love with Amanda Gorman's poetry (so I might have a bit of a bias) but please read it!
Oh my gosh! I'm getting Call Us What We Carry in a couple of weeks! I love Amanda Gorman too! I watched her read The Hill We Climb live on the news and she managed to outshine everyone else there, including the president! She's so inspiring and brave. She's so amazing. I can't wait to read her new book :D
01/01/2022 - 10:59am
I just got Call Us What We Carry for Christmas! I can't wait to read it. It's cool to see poets enacting real change with their poetry
01/02/2022 - 12:42pm
Yay!! I hope you both like Call Us What We Carry!
01/07/2022 - 8:18pm
Hello! Has anyone read Rated by Melissa Grey? I just started it today and it’s AMAZING! I’m still pretty close to the beginning but I’m loving everything about the plot, imagery etc. So far I think Tamsin is super cool!
Has anyone else read Stepsister by Jennifer Donnely? It was one of the Golden Dome books (Formerly known as Dorothy Canfield Fisher books) for 2020-2021, and I would love to discuss it :)
Yes! It was a couple years ago, so I don't remember much - only that really liked it! I love when stories are told from the so-called villain's perspective.
12/23/2021 - 11:15am
One of my all time favorite books is "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" by Benjamin Alire Saenz.
I've actually been wanting to read that! What did you like about it?
12/14/2021 - 12:29pm
Oh, I've read it! The characters are so refreshing in the way that they are presented. Just their names are striking!
12/16/2021 - 8:59pm
I asked for that book for Christmas! I hope I get it because it seems like such a great read!
12/21/2021 - 7:55pm
Project Hail Mary is an awesome new Sci-fi read!
guys I'm currently reading The Dutch House by Ann Patchett and it is just so good I can't like what is going on omg

somebody else pls read it so we can talk about how wonderful and strange it is