About the Book Club

What are your favorite books? Recommend and discuss them here! 

[Logo credit: jbird18, YWP]

List your top 5, 10, 15 book choices.
What is your all-time favorite book?
Favorite character?
Which book do you want to live in?
What's the most memorable book from your childhood?
Comment on other writers' favorites.
Write a book review.
Have fun!

I would suggest the book 'For Everyone' by Jason Reynolds. It is an amazing book and I would suggest it to anyone who likes poetry. It is very inspiring. :)
Has anyone read Coraline? Wayyyy creepier than the movie! Awesome hallaween book.
A great Halloween book is The Grave Yard book by Neil Gaiman. I'm not one for horror, ghost stories but I actually enoyed this one :)
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow is finally out! I need to read the previous two books to refresh my memory, lol.
It is!!!! I must find it!
6 hours ago
I'm in the middle of reading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie for a mystery book for school... SO suspenseful, scary, and amazing! I'd recommend it for sure.
I really want to read that book! It looks right up my alley.
2 days ago
Cool!
3 hours ago
I read a really good book called Stepsister by Jennifer Donnelly that's about Cinderella's stepsister who cut off her toes to fit into the glass slipper. I really enjoyed this new perspective on Cinderella and if you get the chance you should read it too. Also if you're curious look up Jennifer Donnelly for this book and watch the video she has with this, she talks about how she never felt pretty or obedient and felt more like the evil stepsister.
Sounds really cool. I always love twisted/changed fairytale novels. Thanks for the suggestion!
10/24/2020 - 4:59pm
Ewwwwww! I've read that one. How can the Grimm brothers be so gory!!?? It was the original grimm story.
3 hours ago
Has anyone ever read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli? I read it in late June and then instantly went and bought the other two books. I think that by now I've read it about three or four times, and am definitely due for a reread once I get it back from my friend. Simon's love for oreos is something that I found very relatable. Also, they recently came out with pride oreos and I personally think that Simon would be absolutely overjoyed.
Show all 6 comments
Haven’t read them, but it’s ALL my friends have been talking about for the past few days.
10/19/2020 - 6:22pm
Okay Becky ALbertalli is my favorite author. I love all her books, especially the whole Simon Universe. Highly recommend all of her books, and also WHAT THERE ARE PRIDE OREOS!?!?! This is the best news I've heard today.
10/19/2020 - 7:18pm
I read Simon Vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda in sixth grade- a wonderful book! I personally prefer Leah on the Off Beat, just because I like Leah's character better but all of Becky Albertalli's books are great. And I have to agree that Simon would be a *fan* of rainbow Oreos. I've read all of her books except Yes No Maybe So- so I need to get on that.
10/19/2020 - 8:11pm
I LOVE OREOS, but what the heck are pride oreos?
10/20/2020 - 2:47pm
I really should read that series, it sounds awesome!! Also, I had no idea there were pride oreos, I looked it up and they also sound awesome!!

RainbowAura--pride oreos are rainbow oreos (the filling is rainbow) inspired by the LGBTQ+ rainbow flag.
10/22/2020 - 6:36pm
YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM! That does NOT sound healthy, BUT I REALLY WANT THEM!
3 hours ago
Has anyone read the Little Women series? It's kinda sad how Jo (my fav. character) grows up, has kids, and turns from awesome adventure girl to a motherly mom person.
Have you read The Book Wanderers? BEST CLIFFHANGER BOOK EVER! The girl is awesome. I SO WISH I COULD TRAVEL INTO BOOKS!
I've read it. I thought the giant brain monster/thing was creepy.
One of my favorite books a while ago was A Wrinkle In Time and the rest of its series. So so good! It was really interesting, but I would not recommend it to younger readers because it can be REALLY confusing.
I read that in fourth grade, I too enjoyed it quite a lot. I should probably reread it soon, considering we are still in a pandemic and I haven't read any fantasies in a really long time.
10/19/2020 - 5:58pm
Has anyone read the Time Zero series? I am only on the 1st book, but it is really good so far!
I recently finished reading The Downstairs Girl by Stacey Lee. So so so good, I would recommend it to everyone! The plot twists are all incredible, and it’s an awesome story!!!!
I started reading it during my free period in the school library, but then covid hit. I really want to finish it.
10/12/2020 - 11:24am
I loved that book! In 2021, the author is coming out with another book - historical fiction and set on the Titanic. I can't wait!
10/13/2020 - 8:56am
Oh wow, that’s awesome! I will definitely be checking it out!
10/16/2020 - 7:30am
has anyone read any poetry by Basho?
Ok, I have a question, and I kind of, almost don't want to know the answer. Is Tolkien racist?
i don't even know. what made you think that?
10/10/2020 - 11:36pm
All the evil characters are from the south and the east, and I know he is writing in a different world, but still. He also describes the southrons (I don;t know if that is spelled right) as being black, but I don't know If that is just the abstract "black" he uses to to denote evil in the book, or if he is actually describing their skin tone. Also the orcs are described as having dark skin and all the "beautiful" creatures have fair skin. I don't know if these choices were him being intentionally racist, or if he his descriptions were just part of this binary system of light and dark he created.
10/11/2020 - 11:35am
If I was to be honest, Tolkien was raised in an environment that was very racist (“very” as in, compared to now). I don’t think he was being very intentional but, if you think about it, people always associate blackness with darkness and hatred, white with purity and light. So I think his descriptions were just to show that contrast of dark vs light. Nonetheless, I think it is racist in itself to say that blackness means bad and whiteness means good.
10/12/2020 - 10:30pm
Do you ever read through a book so fast because it's so exciting, and the wish you'd have savored that wonderful feeling of a great book?
Show all 5 comments
yes.
10/10/2020 - 12:42am
indeed.
10/10/2020 - 1:41am
absolutly.
10/10/2020 - 2:18pm
totally.
10/12/2020 - 10:27pm
SO TRUE.
10/18/2020 - 9:44pm
I just finished the first book of The Hunger Games trilogy. It was so good! I can't believe I was putting it off this whole time!
Show all 7 comments
I've read the hunger games so many times. The books are all amazing!!!! So glad you're reading them.
10/07/2020 - 12:10pm
Ooooooh I love the Hunger Games! I keep reminding myself to reread them and forgetting....
10/07/2020 - 4:21pm
I've heard that they're really good! Maybe I should read them....

I've been reading the Pegasus series by Kate O'hearn, LOVE THEM!! I'm on the last book....so sad :(
10/08/2020 - 7:41pm
omggg the Pegasus Series!! I remember that book know that you said the author! Loved those books they were amazing! highly recommended and just relived a part of my childhood for a second there XD
10/10/2020 - 12:33am
I absolutely love the Hunger Games! One of my top series for sure. I'm happy you like them!
10/13/2020 - 8:58am
Did you like Mockingjay? I still haven't gotten around to reading it since I've heard that it is really sad.
10/19/2020 - 6:00pm
I hated Mockingjay because it was so boring. Just war war war. Just my opinion, I had to force myself to finish it.
10/19/2020 - 6:51pm
Oh my gosh guys, Alice in Zombieland is AMAZING. Don't get me wrong it sounds foolish, but it's nothing of the sort. It's the best book I've read on this earth and I beg you to give it a chance. "Alice in Zombieand" by Gena Showalter.
Okay definitely checking this out.
10/19/2020 - 7:20pm
I'm not into creepy stuff.
3 hours ago
I just read a book called the book of longings. Very Very interesting and beautiful piece of historical fiction. I would highly recommend.
I just finished Cinder from the Lunar Chronicles and started Scarlet! Anyone else read it, and if so were you into it?
Show all 4 comments
I absolutely LOVE the Lunar Chronicles!!! 10/10 recommend!!!
10/02/2020 - 5:22pm
The Lunar Chronicles are so good! The author wrote Heartless as well, which I really liked too!
10/05/2020 - 11:11am
ah yeah lunar chronicles was great, and Heartless is one I love to reread just because it's so good :)
10/06/2020 - 1:46am
Lunar Cronicles are amazing loved every book!
10/07/2020 - 12:11pm