About the Book Club

Read a good book lately? Leave a comment, a suggestion, a full book review if you want! Online book discussions will resume in the fall, but in the meantime, enjoy your summer reads and let your YWP friends know when you discover a gem.
Just started reading Of Mice and Men with a kid I'm tutoring, was wondering how ya'll liked the book?
Is anyone into Agatha Christie's books? I just started Appointment with Death, and had forgotten how good her Hercule Poirot mysteries are!
i love agatha christie! just bought death on the nile to read though i haven’t started it, and my absolute favorite mystery ever is and then there were none. recommended!!!!
06/16/2021 - 5:58pm
So I love reading fantasy books, they are my favorite and I recently started reading Keeper of The Lost Cites(kotlc) Because one of my teacher recommended it to me. It is one of my favorite series and I've read the whole series twice now! My other favorite series is Wings of Fire(wof) I've read that whole series tons of times now. I'm looking for suggestions on fantasy books like either of those series, anyone know any?
Thank you
Oh I love Keeper of the Lost Cities!! All the characters are so good and the world building is great. Harry Potter is another good fantasy series though you've probably already read them. Shadow and Bone is really good, but it has a darker tone.
06/08/2021 - 6:28pm
toatlly agree with both of you!
06/08/2021 - 7:36pm
Same! Yeah!! Well...I'm not really into Harry Potter because my friend LOVES the books and movies and I hear about them all the time, but I had to watch the movies! Thank you, I'll try seeing if that series is for me!! Thank you so much!
06/13/2021 - 10:04am
oh also I'm curious if anyone here reads nonfiction books as well as poetry/fiction? I like to switch on and off. I just read some fantasy, then fiction, and now I'm reading Orwell On Truth which is a collection of George Orwell's writing on morality/political honesty. I normally have a couple poetry anthologies going too. Right now it's Margaret Atwood & Elizabeth Bishop. Anyways anybody else like this?
Sort of...I read multiple books at the same time. They're mostly fiction, but I do have two nonfictions mixed in there. So far, I haven't read a ton of poetry books, but I wanted to see what poetry Margaret Atwood has written!
06/02/2021 - 11:42am
She's a great poet! Apparently poetry was her first love, but I'm reading Dearly (her newer poems, not the original ones)
06/03/2021 - 12:08pm
Has anyone read The Nightjar by Deborah Hewitt? I stayed up all night reading it ... omg so good & I'm trying to sneak an advanced reader's copy of the next book lol (how can I wait until August?)
If anyone here (maybe above grade 7? ) has not read Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, you NEED to go to the library right. Now. And read it. So powerful and enriching. You might want to try the adapted for young adults version if the original is too hard:)
What are other peoples thoughts on this book?? Such a great read- totally worth it.
I'm going to start Kate in Waiting by Becky Albertalli sometime soon! I love her work, but I was a bit disappointed by What if it's Us. To be fair I don't think I'm a fan of his writing, it's just so bland.
I am reading the Truly Devious series. I really like it. Has anyone heard of it?
Show all 4 comments
I've never heard of it, but I'll check it out!! :)
05/20/2021 - 5:47pm
Yes! I'm in the middle of it now. I read the first book a few months back, but couldn't get the sequels. I recently started up the series again and am currently reading the 3rd book. What do you think of the series?
05/21/2021 - 11:14am
I love it! It’s really interesting!
05/23/2021 - 9:13pm
I just read the first book! At first it was kinda predictable but then the cliffhanger at the end?! Did not see that coming
05/29/2021 - 12:49pm
Hi everyone! I just read On Writing by Stephen King, and...I absolutely LOVED it. I've never read any of his fiction books (my parents won't let me, they're not huge fans of horror), but his writing style is so engaging while also being super easy to understand. I'm just wondering—has anyone else read it, and what did you think of it? Also, if you haven't read it, do!!
Hi! I've read it too! It was a couple years ago, and at that time I'd never read any of his books either. I liked the way part of the book was about his life (sort of like a biography) and the other part was more focused on writing advice. It felt like a nice balance between instruction and a story. I definitely second your recommendation - it's a really interesting read. :)
05/10/2021 - 2:48pm
greatest book in the world, i have never stopped re-reading it since i got it three years ago
05/13/2021 - 5:23pm
I just read the Inheritance Games; it is amazing! Riddles, clues, secret passageways, hidden motivation. The sequel comes out in September! Has anyone else read it and what did you think?
it is literally my favorite book. i read it in december and have been waiting for the sequel ever since. i even gave it to my friend for christmas so we could talk about it. loved it soooo much. who’s your favorite brother?? i think i’d have to go with xander....
04/28/2021 - 4:58pm
I read it and also loved it!! I’m unsure as to my favorite brother ( it’s been a while since I read it) but I do agree that Xander is pretty great.
04/30/2021 - 5:54pm
Yay! I'm glad other people have read it too! I'd have to say Grayson is my favorite brother, but I like Xander too - he's got a great sense of humor.
05/06/2021 - 3:10pm
Just finished this great book called the Language of Ghosts. Totally recommend! (written by Heather Fawcett)
just finished six of crows by leigh bardugo for the second time, and it’s truly one of the best books i’ve ever read. if you haven’t read it, definitely give it a try. high action and drama in a magical universe and the best characters ever (but i recommend the shadow and bone series first.) if you have read it, what do you think?? who’s your favorite character?? aaaaaahhh i love it so much xd.
I’ve read the shadow and bone series. It was pretty good. I don’t know why but I couldn’t bring myself to red the third book for weeks and then it just felt wrong. But yet again I was in a reading funk so I could be miss judging.
04/30/2021 - 5:57pm
yeah, shadow and bone is the series that comes before six of crows and in my opinion it’s nowhere near as good. i really didn’t like it.
05/01/2021 - 9:04am
i love all of the crows but if i had to choose, i'd say inej is my favorite!
05/27/2021 - 12:27pm
Hey everyone! Hope you’re having a great week full of fun reads!! :)) make sure to check out the upcoming book club meeting!!
Has anyone read Of Mice And Men? I just read it and what is up with the ending?! I can't find the meaning of the book and it dissapointed me. To anyone who's read it what did you think?
I read Of Mice And Men and had the same reaction. Once I finished I was like ... uh so what was the meaning of this? If anyone has insights I'd also love to know.
04/28/2021 - 7:40pm
if you like talking about books, sign up for the book club meeting!!! tomorrow @ 5 pm on Zoom! the main book we'll discuss is A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass, but we'll also talk about whatever books/whichever authors you feel like :)
just finished the hunger games trilogy (by myself) AND the catcher in the rye in class. hunger games: wow. my mind is blown. i just can’t process- wow.
the catcher in the rye: i am awaiting some controversy...
Yes Hunger Games is spectacular!!!! My favorite character is definitely Rue!
03/24/2021 - 12:51pm
Love the Hunger Games! The movies are pretty good too. I have a hard time crying while reading but the movies made me cry so hard.
03/26/2021 - 4:52pm
Agreed, Whitney!
04/05/2021 - 10:12am
Has anyone read The Betrothed by Kiera Cass? If so, what did you think? I've read all her other books and loved them, but so far this one isn't living up to my expectations. It seems like the plot is simpler than those of her other novels.
Has anyone read, "The Princess Saves Herself In This One" by Amanda Lovelace? It written in verse and pretty good. The beginning is a bit heavy but later on her positive message about "you are enough" is really amazingly written.

I've been trying to read more books written in verse, any suggestions?
Show all 6 comments
Inside Out & Back Again is a pretty good one :)
03/11/2021 - 5:39pm
Clap When You Land is a good one.
03/11/2021 - 10:12pm
Full Cicada Moon!
03/14/2021 - 3:15pm
Yes, Inside Out & Back Again was great!
03/16/2021 - 2:35pm
I do actually! The Poet X!
03/22/2021 - 10:38am
I HAVE!!! I THOUGHT NO ONE ELSE HEARD OF IT!!!
03/23/2021 - 7:55am
Omg I love Mango Shaped Space!!! It's literally sooo good!!!! Can't wait to talk about it with everyone! :D
yay!!! we can't wait to see you there!
03/08/2021 - 10:44am
I just read the Matched series by Ally Condie it’s amazing! The third book kinda felt like a let down though. The whole series was amazing but the ending just didn’t click. Anyone read it?
Yes! Just gave the first one to my sister, and it's nice to see her excited about a book.

Her, at the beginning of the book: *rooting for Xander*

Her, a couple more chapters in: She ends up with Ky, doesn't she?
03/10/2021 - 2:34am
XD Funny it was acually my older sister who gave me the first book of the series and I had the same reation as your sister!
03/11/2021 - 10:56am
I love Ally Condie's books! I started the Matched Trilogy, but never finished, and I absolutely LOVED her other book, Atlantia.
03/18/2021 - 2:09pm