About the Book Club

What are your favorite books? Recommend and discuss them here! 

[Logo credit: jbird18, YWP]

List your top 5, 10, 15 book choices.
What is your all-time favorite book?
Favorite character?
Which book do you want to live in?
What's the most memorable book from your childhood?
Comment on other writers' favorites.
Write a book review.
Have fun!

I'm reading this book called The Assassin's Blade and it's part of The Throne of Glass Novellas. It's like a prologue to the rest of the series and so far it has been amazing. I bought the whole series a while ago because 1) I have been wanting to read the series for a bit and 2) every book in the series was 50% off. The story is about this 16 year old girl named Celena who is Adarlan's most feared assassin. She works for the most powerful assassins' guild but listens to no one.
(Part 2) When the leader starts sending her on missions that take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, she starts to question his orders. She will have to risk everything to escape his clutches. If she fails, it's not just her freedom she'd lose, but her life. (I ended up typing most of the description of the book because I'm only on chapter 5)
2 days ago
I love the Throne of Glass series! I haven't read The Assassin's Blade yet, however.
23 min ago
Have you ever read Short? Its about a girl who has a stunted growth and she's in this play. It is really good, and... Ahhh! I'm telling too many spoilers!!!!
I've never read it but it sounds like a good book to add to my list!
04/02/2020 - 1:52pm
I read it last year, its a Dorthy Canfield Fisher Award book. (DCF)
It is good
2 days ago
Just finished Heartless by Marissa Meyer, who also wrote The Lunar Chronicles. It's the Queen of Hearts's backstory and it incorporates many recognizable Wonderland elements and characters. It's really good, has anyone else read it?
I read the first book in The Lunar Chronicles, and hope to continue. Do you have a favorite character from the first book? My favorite is Dr. Erland.
04/02/2020 - 6:26pm
Yes! I've read Heartless...it was a while ago, but I remember it as being good.
04/02/2020 - 6:43pm
I’m on the sixth keeper of the lost cities book (Nightfall) and things just are dragging on and on....
Show all 4 comments
I really want to finish that series but I can't find the books at my library!
04/01/2020 - 4:28pm
Aargh that’s so annoying! Right now I am ready on my kindle app, which I do not like as much as a real book because when you just want to read and you have to go on a screen to do it.... not fun.
04/01/2020 - 6:40pm
Book '8.5' doesn't come out until September, and I'm almost doe with #8! Augh! My library does not have all of the books either, unfortunatly. :(
04/01/2020 - 7:13pm
I have all of the books except #8, but if I'm going to read #8 I will have to read all the other ones so I remember what's happening, and that takes a while because they are not short books!
04/02/2020 - 7:32am
(Continued)With Mr. Voland's help, Ollie, Coco, and Brian reach out to the dead voices at Mount Hemlock. Maybe the ghosts need their help--or maybe not all ghosts can or should be trusted.
(continuedOllie, Coco, and Brian are determined to make the best of being snowed in, but odd things keep happening. Coco is convinced she has seen a ghost, and Ollie is having nightmares about frostbitten girls pleading for help. Then Mr. Voland, a mysterious ghost hunter, arrives in the midst of the storm to investigate the hauntings at Hemlock Lodge. Ollie, Coco, and Brian want to trust him, but Ollie's watch, which once saved them from the smiling man, has a new cautionary message: BEWARE.
Another more creepy book is Dead Voices:
Ollie, Coco, and Brian are ready to spend a relaxing winter break skiing together with their parents at Mount Hemlock Resort. But when a snowstorm sets in, causing the power to flicker out and the cold to creep closer and closer, the three are forced to settle for hot chocolate and board games by the fire.
(Continued) Ollie discovers a chilling story about a girl named Beth, the two brothers who both loved her, and a peculiar deal made with "the smiling man," a sinister specter who grants your most tightly held wish, but only for the ultimate price.
Small spaces is a creepy adventure:
After suffering a tragic loss, eleven-year-old Ollie only finds solace in books. So when she happens upon a crazed woman at the river threatening to throw a book into the water, Ollie doesn't think--she just acts, stealing the book and running away. As she begins to read the slender volume,
i liked that book, it was good!
04/01/2020 - 1:48pm
When you finish a book, decide it's your favorite book, and then remember that there's no more left in the series.
*Writes angry letter to author, begging her to write another*
Yessss. Was this inspired by a specific series?
04/01/2020 - 7:15pm
Strange the Dreamer and Muse of Nightmares is a two book series and after a long investigation it does not seem as though a new one is in the works.
04/02/2020 - 9:54am
Has anyone read It by Stephen King? I picked it up at the library because it was really long and I wanted a long book for the whole quarantine situation. I wasn't sure whether or not I would like it, but it's actually pretty good!
Show all 7 comments
I desperately want to read something by Stephen King, mostly because I like creepy stuff, but I hate when anything bad ever happens to animals. I'm always hesitant to get something like that because it seems cats are often harmed in scary things.
03/31/2020 - 11:03am
I know...I hate it when animals are hurt as well. So far, no animals have been hurt in It. I also read Carrie and don't recall any hurt animals either.
03/31/2020 - 6:08pm
Sometimes I think it would be fun to read a scary book and then I remember that I read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children before bed and couldn't fall asleep because I was so scared.
04/01/2020 - 7:21am
that was a pretty intense book, but it was still awesome!
04/01/2020 - 1:47pm
Miss Peregrines is definitely in my top favorite list of books.
04/01/2020 - 2:08pm
So much 4 her
04/01/2020 - 2:26pm
I get scared very easily so I can't read Steven King XD
04/01/2020 - 4:31pm
Have any of you read, The City Of Ember? It is and amazing fictional book, about a city that is underground, and is starting to fall. There is a whole series, even a graphic novel written on it. I highly recommend it.
I love The City of Ember!!!
03/30/2020 - 7:36pm
I actually just read that for a book group! It's a cool concept.
2 days ago
Favorite comfort book for when everything looks dark:
Show all 5 comments
I have two: the first Harry Potter, and the Penderwicks series by Jeanne Birdsall. I would highly recommend the entire thing but especially the third book, the Penderwicks at Point Mouette, is what I always read when I need an escape because it’s comforting and summery and everything that right now seems to not be :)
03/29/2020 - 10:28am
I have three: Wonder by R.J. Palacio, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, and The Princess Bride by William Goldman.
03/29/2020 - 5:00pm
The Poet X and The Hunger Games...
03/31/2020 - 10:49am
I love the poet X! The author recently came out with another book, have you read it? I'm pretty sure it's called With the Fire on High. It's really good.
03/31/2020 - 11:04am
NO. Should I???
04/01/2020 - 2:27pm
If anyone has any suggestions for the monthly reads, please let me know!
Show all 4 comments
Totally recommend "The War That Saved My Life" by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. It's historical fiction a girl and her brother who have to go live in London because of the bombings during WW2. It's beautifully written and some of it is very emotional, and it's a Newberry Honor Book!
03/30/2020 - 7:50am
I love that book! That will be our April Book! Thanks for the suggestion!
03/30/2020 - 10:38am
Yes! I know that one, it actually made me cry
04/01/2020 - 2:31pm
That's the one! It's on the list of books my mom can't read out loud without crying, right up there with Charlotte's Web.
04/01/2020 - 10:49pm
My top 5 favorite books:
1. The Little Prince
2. The Book Thief
3. Eleanor and Park
4. Pride and Prejudice
5. Six of Crows

In the wake of COVID-19, I would love some book recommendations!
Oh my gosh I love Pride and Prejudice! If you’re looking for recommendations, I would definitely suggest Jane Austen’s other books.
03/29/2020 - 6:40pm
The Book Thief and Six of Crows are some of my favorites too! I'm also a fan of the Arc of the Scythe Trilogy and the Bartimaeus Trilogy, if you're looking for something new.
2 days ago
Does anyone have any suggestions for books that people just HAVE to read before they grow up?
Show all 5 comments
I’m looking for an escape from boredom during quarantine.
03/28/2020 - 4:35pm
Caraval is really good! There are three books in the series - and they are all out by now, which is a plus.
03/31/2020 - 10:16am
Hmmm... I would say definitely Harry Potter and Rick Riordan's books (Kane Chronicles, Percy Jackson, etc.). I also remember really loving the first few books of Anne of Green Gables as well.
04/01/2020 - 1:44am
I started that series, got about half-way through, became board out of my mind by it, and stopped. ;)
04/01/2020 - 7:17pm
The first few books are great but then, after like the fifth... eh.
04/01/2020 - 7:18pm
Sometimes it’s hard to be forced to read a book that you REALLY don’t want to read my your school. Normally I love to read, but nonfiction... is not my style.
I'm reading The Grapes Of Wrath by John Steinbeck for homework, I can't say I'm liking that much but it's definitely eye-opening considering it was written almost 90 years ago.
I am drifting in to an alternate universe.
A universe of dreams.
Where nothing you do matters.
Where you could die a million times, yet still wake up in the morning.
Just reread The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang. It’s a really good graphic novel, and the drawings are gorgeous. I would definitely recommend it.
ooh I love that book!!! Beautifully told.
03/26/2020 - 9:46am