About the Book Club

Want to discuss this book or any other favorites or recent discoveries? Leave a comment in the Book Club. Want to pick a book of the month or recommend books for online Book Club discussions? Let YWP's LadyMidnight and Charvermont know!

NEXT BOOK CLUB MEETING: Wednesday, April 28, 5 p.m. EST. Details and sign up here.

just finished six of crows by leigh bardugo for the second time, and it’s truly one of the best books i’ve ever read. if you haven’t read it, definitely give it a try. high action and drama in a magical universe and the best characters ever (but i recommend the shadow and bone series first.) if you have read it, what do you think?? who’s your favorite character?? aaaaaahhh i love it so much xd.
Hey everyone! Hope you’re having a great week full of fun reads!! :)) make sure to check out the upcoming book club meeting!!
Has anyone read Of Mice And Men? I just read it and what is up with the ending?! I can't find the meaning of the book and it dissapointed me. To anyone who's read it what did you think?
if you like talking about books, sign up for the book club meeting!!! tomorrow @ 5 pm on Zoom! the main book we'll discuss is A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass, but we'll also talk about whatever books/whichever authors you feel like :)
just finished the hunger games trilogy (by myself) AND the catcher in the rye in class. hunger games: wow. my mind is blown. i just can’t process- wow.
the catcher in the rye: i am awaiting some controversy...
Yes Hunger Games is spectacular!!!! My favorite character is definitely Rue!
03/24/2021 - 12:51pm
Love the Hunger Games! The movies are pretty good too. I have a hard time crying while reading but the movies made me cry so hard.
03/26/2021 - 4:52pm
Agreed, Whitney!
04/05/2021 - 10:12am
Has anyone read The Betrothed by Kiera Cass? If so, what did you think? I've read all her other books and loved them, but so far this one isn't living up to my expectations. It seems like the plot is simpler than those of her other novels.
Has anyone read, "The Princess Saves Herself In This One" by Amanda Lovelace? It written in verse and pretty good. The beginning is a bit heavy but later on her positive message about "you are enough" is really amazingly written.

I've been trying to read more books written in verse, any suggestions?
Show all 6 comments
Inside Out & Back Again is a pretty good one :)
03/11/2021 - 5:39pm
Clap When You Land is a good one.
03/11/2021 - 10:12pm
Full Cicada Moon!
03/14/2021 - 3:15pm
Yes, Inside Out & Back Again was great!
03/16/2021 - 2:35pm
I do actually! The Poet X!
03/22/2021 - 10:38am
I HAVE!!! I THOUGHT NO ONE ELSE HEARD OF IT!!!
03/23/2021 - 7:55am
Omg I love Mango Shaped Space!!! It's literally sooo good!!!! Can't wait to talk about it with everyone! :D
yay!!! we can't wait to see you there!
03/08/2021 - 10:44am
I just read the Matched series by Ally Condie it’s amazing! The third book kinda felt like a let down though. The whole series was amazing but the ending just didn’t click. Anyone read it?
Yes! Just gave the first one to my sister, and it's nice to see her excited about a book.

Her, at the beginning of the book: *rooting for Xander*

Her, a couple more chapters in: She ends up with Ky, doesn't she?
03/10/2021 - 2:34am
XD Funny it was acually my older sister who gave me the first book of the series and I had the same reation as your sister!
03/11/2021 - 10:56am
I love Ally Condie's books! I started the Matched Trilogy, but never finished, and I absolutely LOVED her other book, Atlantia.
03/18/2021 - 2:09pm
Has anyone ever read the Wings of Fire series? if not I would recomend it
Hello all! Just letting you know that the YWP book club is meeting tomorrow @ 7 pm on Zoom, and you can find the sign up link at the top of the home page or here, on the book club page. We'll be talking about Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen but also whatever books/authors you want to! Bring your favorite book, a snack, and cozy up for some great discussions :)
Yay! So excited for this! :)
02/25/2021 - 6:15pm
I read the Perks of Being a Wallflower recently... and I didn't like it. The book was so depressing, and I felt like it was trying so hard to be deep and relatable that it lost its meaning. I just wanted to reach in the book and give Charlie a hug.
To someone who's read it, what did you think?
I found it really depressing too. Sadly, that's one of the few things about the book that made an impression. I had such high expectations for it, but it was so dark that I thought anything good was overshadowed. And I completely agree - Charlie deserves a hug!
02/24/2021 - 11:49am
Okay so today I finished Children of Blood and Bone... I have to say.
I really really did not like it.
I liked the political points and I liked Amari and Tzain, but other than that I hated it. It went too quickly and I couldn’t get into it at all. I definitely will not being reading the second one, especially after the bad reviews I read.
If you’ve read it what do think?
Show all 4 comments
Wow I’m the complete opposite. I loved it. I liked the complexity and the magic community. There were many surprises that I enjoyed and I overall really loved the book and look forward to reading the second. It’s very interesting to see such different opinions. @ninaestrella I was wondering, do you usually like magic/fantasy books?
02/20/2021 - 3:11pm
Yes I do, but I read books more for the characters than for the action or world or magic I guess... I also like a thick plot I think you could say, as in a mystery, and this one didn’t really have that for me. But I agree I love different opinions and discussions! Also, do you like Zelie and Inan together?? Because even though I didn’t really like it I’m curious :)
02/20/2021 - 4:16pm
I really didn’t like Inan throughout the book honestly. But his relationship with Zélie grew on me by the end of the book. The way he truly ended up caring for her. I’m still not completely sure and will let you know my verdict once I read book 2.
02/21/2021 - 2:33pm
Cool! I agree with you about Inan for sure.
02/21/2021 - 3:35pm
Just finished the book, A Ring Of Endless Light? Has anyone read it, if so what were your thoughts? It’s a bit of Ann older book so I don’t know if anyone’s even heard about it before. It is definitely a deep an emotional book but also pretty amazing. The girl in it is a poet so it’s cool to see how she sees the world. Also it uses a lot of quotes from other older stories.

Oh one more question if you have read it: How did you feel about Vicky “dating” Zackary?
Has anyone read the Forest Of Good And Evil series? It includes the books, The Evil Queen and The Glass Queen. I just finished reading them and... they’re probably some of the best fantasy/romance books ever!
My brother is in 7th grade and his class is reading The Hate U Give. It's a great book, but they're a little young for that... What do you guys think? My brother is super sensitive to swear words and violence.
Show all 7 comments
I think that the class shouldn't make it mandatory for anyone who is sensitive to swear words and violence to read anything that might make them uncomfortable. However, if your brother wants to read the book I think you should let him. Personally, I love The Hate U Give but I (who am also sensitive to violence) might not have liked the idea of reading that at a younger age.
02/09/2021 - 4:28pm
I agree that a book with that many swears probably shouldn’t be a class requirement to read. However I read The Hate U Give in 7th grade so... it really depend on the reader
02/09/2021 - 6:19pm
Yeah, public schools shouldn't really push books with that much violence and such a dark theme. I mean racism is something that we need to understand and strive to work against, but really in 7th grade? Maybe if they wanted to read it independently? But not as an assignment from school, we seventh graders are still children...
02/10/2021 - 1:10pm
I have been incredibly sensitive to violence in books for most of my childhood, so I totally understand that. However, I do think it’s important for kids to be educated on difficult subjects such as racism, even in middle school. The Hate U Give is a great book, and while there is definitely a fair amount of violence and dark themes within the book, I personally don’t think it gets too deep into any gore, if that’s what you’re worried about. I think teachers should definitely be understanding if a student is uncomfortable reading a book, but it might be a good idea to have them read something else on racism, so that they’re still getting that important education. I also think it’s always a good idea to try stepping out of your comfort zone, but again, I understand being sensitive to violence. This is just my current opinion, and I’m definitely not an expert at all on this topic. :)
02/10/2021 - 4:31pm
^ @dogpoet, I could not agree more
02/14/2021 - 6:02pm
Personally I think 7th grade is a bit young to read the Hate U give specifically. I was in 11th when I read it (it wasn't in our curriculum tho) and was still startled by the choice words- plus I think the overall topic, while definitely well written and all, is a bit heavy for all 7th graders and might go over some heads? It feels like throwing them into the deep end of things. Idk I'm also more sensitive to violence in books so theres that too XD but totally agree 7th graders should learn about racism, education is the key to anything, and understanding whats going on is a good thing. Curriculum speaking maybe a read that is less overwhelming would be a better place to start for an entire class. either way its interesting to think about- also i love this book :)
02/17/2021 - 5:23pm
I fainted from reading violent book(long story) and I was in seventh grade and i read The Hate U Give (not part of school exactly) I think it is extreme for swear words and maybe violence, but living through this summer with so many riots and killings policemen it wasnt that shocking to me, just unjust and horrible. I think it might be mature but definitely important and should be read, though not through curriculum and only if you feel like you can. I loved the Hate U Give but seventh grade might be a little young.
04/06/2021 - 2:14pm
Any good realistic fiction book suggestions?
Word on the Bathroom Walls by Julia Walton is really good! It's about a high schooler with schizophrenia having to trust love over his mind's delusions.
02/07/2021 - 1:24pm
Has anyone read Washington Black by Esi Edugyan? I'm reading it for English class and I was wondering what someone thought of it.
Omg I just saw that the book of the month is Pride and Prejudice! XD I love all of Jane Austen’s books, but this is definitely one of my favorites! What are other people’s thoughts on it?
yay!!! another fellow Jane Austen lover! as the person who helped choose P&P for our February book, I am SO excited!!!! lol I'm literally reading it for like the 4th time rn. every time I read it I notice more details and underlying messages and I love when that happens. also, the 2005 Kiera Knightly movie is such a wonderful rendition of the story & if you haven't seen it, you need to watch it!! (after reading the book ofc)
02/02/2021 - 6:58pm
ALICE IN ZOMBIEAND by gena showalter. Trust me when I tell you this is one of the BEST books I've ever read before. Just take a look and one of the quotes:

"He’s body slammed enough people to start a new country. And there could be a neighboring city for the people he’s punched in the throat.” I