The Dream

The room was dark and cold, with broken furniture randomly scattered about. Cold condensation drips down off the ceiling in a pattern Drip, Drip, Drip. Suddenly, I hear a sound in the distance, kind of like a soft song, But I can’t hear any of the lyrics. I start to walk away from the sound because unlike horror movies, I don’t want to die. I'm not quite sure where I am right now so there's no point in not taking it safe, but something inside of me says there is no danger here. I try to walk through the door to leave, but the next room is an exact replica of the other room, with that weird song playing. No matter how many times I try to leave, I just keep ending up in this weird, barely lit room. Eventually, I decide to go into the other room because there is no other place to go. I start walking quietly, but the creaking of the floor would give away my position to anybody around anyways. I peak around the corner and I don’t believe what I see. It looks like this weird brain surrounded by a forcefield. I hear the sound sing this is the end, this is the end. And then everything goes black. I open my eyes and I am in my home in Los Angeles. I hear the loud noises outside, and the honks of the cars. The sunlight blazing in is such a change from the dark and creepy room. I think it must be a dream, I thought, but it felt much more real than a dream. As I was thinking of what just happened I heard a knock at the door.

“One Second!” I yell.

There is no reply. I quickly change into some nice clothes and walk to the door. I open up the door and my eyes meet two strange men. 

“Hello,” the first one said. “We work for the FBI and we need your help.”  

“Okay, well obviously you guys want money, so goodbye.” I respond, but as I am closing the door, the second man stops the door from closing and says: “I’m guessing you had a weird dream last night.” 

“How do you know about that,” I say wearily.

“We know a lot of things, but we need your help.” 

I know I shouldn’t trust them, but how would they know about a dream that I just had? Something in me really wants to find out. I eventually accept their offer and they flew me out to Washington DC. I get to stay in a five-star hotel and everyone treats me like royalty. I wonder what could be so important, and what was in my dream, and how I am involved in all of this? After a couple days of being treated like a king, I get a call to go to the Pentagon. I arrive and they take me way down into the highest security place. In this room way under the ground, I meet a man who is probably really powerful, but I don’t recognize him. He starts by saying how this is all extremely confidential and then he gets into the real business. He says that I am helping because my uncle, who was in a really high position of power, has programmed me to be the solution to the problem I saw in my dream. Next, he says he drugged me to get a look at our enemy and give me a chance to formulate a plant. Lastly, he says that this is going to be a shock but your Uncle trusted in you and he would trust my uncle with his life. And just like that, he was gone, and I get escorted out. On my way out the door the bodyguards says that they would contact me later, and that I should be prepared. When I step outside I realized it was dark out. It only feels like I was listening for an hour but it must have been way longer. I had a lot to think about that night and I did not get that much sleep. The next day I get a call to come back to the Pentagon. This time we didn’t go underground, I just met another stranger at some office. Apparently this time I am supposed to start my contribution to this problem which is supposed to be finding out how to kill this brain thing, but I have no clue where to start. After a while, I remember that weird song that was playing, and how it kept repeating the words this is the end. The scientist immediately started researching. He came up with this sign called Alien Race, made by Stewart Charlie in 1883. He was born and raised in a small home in Quebec and his family was really poor. He became a musician but couldn’t get enough money. One day he mysteriously disappeared and was never heard of again. But he wrote another song called "The answer is heat.” 

“That's got to be a clue,” I thought to myself.

After a lot of discussion, I got permission to explore the house Stewart Charlie lived in. The scientist made me an extra hot flamethrower in case I saw this weird brain. The next week I left for Quebec. I was scared out of my mind but I had to do this. I had to save the earth. We arrive at this dark and intimidating mansion just like the one in my dream. We slowly search the perimeter, and then head into the house. I start walking and exploring when I hear this faint song.

“That must be the song that I heard in my Dream.”

“Shh.” one of the men tell me

We creep to the noise until we are one room away. I am terrified as I look around the corner. There I see that brain again and the song even louder now. I hear the other men yell: “SHOOT IT, SHOOT IT”

But I don’t. I am not frozen, but surprisingly calm. I walk towards the brain steadily as the other men shout. It is like I am being possessed but I don’t mind it. I reach out to touch the brain, and right as my fingers come into contact with the slimy brain, It reaches out and spreads all over me and in me. For some reason I am not shocked though, I let it happen. But as it spreads I start to gain knowledge. I realize why all of this has happened. I realize that my uncle and I are from an alien race that takes over plantes. I realize that he has reprogrammed me to become the weapon, not destroy it. I realize what I have to do to this planet, and without hesitation, the world becomes the property of my species. 

Connor Gaine

More by Connor Gaine