Women's History Month

I just learned this month is women's history month. I think that's amazing, and that it's good that people are looking at women history and seeing just how amazing all of us are. Here are four of my favorite women figures. Enjoy!

Malala Yousafzai
Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani education advocate. At the age of 17, (in 2014) she became the youngest person to win the Nobel Peace Prize after surviving an assassination attempt. She was shot in the head, but survived. After this, she continued to speak out about the importance of education even after she was shot.

Katherine Johnson
Katherine Johnson was an American mathematician. She worked for NASA as a computer for a long time. Her skills of orbital mechanics were crucial to the first time NASA sent someone into space. She worked for over three decades, helping the U.S. space program send hundreds of people into space. She made a large difference throughout her life.

Amelia Earhart
Amelia Earhart was the first female to fly alone across the Atlantic Ocean, making her one of the most remembered women to this day. She was also an author, writing best-selling books about flying and her experiences. She was important in the formation of The Ninety-Nines, a group for female pilots. She disappeared in 1937 over the Pacific Ocean.

Rosa Parks
Rosa Parks was an activist on civil rights. She is best known for two reasons: Her pivotal role in the Montgomery bus boycott, where black people did not ride the bus, and for refusing to move from her bus seat when a white man needed the better spot. There were still segregatian laws; black people in the back, white people in the front. She refused to move from her seat for a white man, and that put her in jail. Personally, Rosa Parks is my favorite women of history.

EverlastingWaves

More by EverlastingWaves

• Thoughts after the fair

I’ve never enjoyed the feeling of being sick to your stomach on a fair ride. Maybe I just don’t have the iron-willed intestines that all of my friends seem to have, because I get sick from going on the teacups at a normal speed.

• october, my love

october,
    my love,
    it is good to see you once again.

although it appears i have missed
    your grand entrance,
    while i left the room.

i walked along the street to visit you,
    and looked up,
  • scratches

skin pulled taut and tight
    burning like the light
    that seeps through cracks
    underneath the door

from stray branches and walking
    throughout the woods, balking
    at the idea
    of no path

water rests on skin