The Monkey, the Library, and the Elm

By Ruby Hall and Penny deRosset

Chugwater, Wyoming used to be a peaceful town. It had a library, a post office, and a big town green with an elm tree in the middle. One day, just before the huge annual fireworks celebration for the fourth of July, a monkey walked into the library. No one knows why. The librarian looked up in surprise. She pointed to the sign that said NO ANIMALS in bold letters. The monkey paid no attention. He walked farther into the library. The librarian scowled. A chattering school group walked in and started to eat lunch. No one knows why. The librarian pointed to the sign that said NO FOOD in bold letters. The kids ignored her. She glares harder. The kids chat with each other loudly. The librarian points to the sign that says PLEASE WHISPER in bold letters. The kids paid no attention. The librarian sits, simmering in the kind of silent, intense rage that only people who work in a place where yelling is not allowed experience. She glares harder and harder. The kids keep chatting. The librarian sighs. She knows that she swore she’d stop smoking, but what harm can one cigarette do? The library is a stressful place to work, and the city of Chugwater, Wyoming does not pay its librarians very well. She steps outside and lights a cigarette. As she took a puff, the monkey suddenly jumped out the door! No one knows why.  He crashed into the librarian, causing her to throw the cigarette through the open door where it ignites a stack of books. The fire spread quickly, leaping from one bookshelf to another. Shouts and the smell of smoke filled the air. Luckily everyone got out in time. They stood outside and watched in silence as the library burned to the ground. 

A truck driver nearby sees the flames and panics. He starts swerving all over the road.  In that second, he crashes his truck full of fireworks being delivered to the town green into the library, spilling out the crates that read DANGER: EXPLOSIVES in bold letters. The crowd watched as the flames slowly crept up to the truck and the crates ignited.          

The resulting explosion was quite beautiful. They say it could be seen as far as Cheyenne, Wyoming. The entire town burned down that day. They say that if you go there now, the only thing left is the big elm tree that used to be the center of the town green. It somehow escaped the flames. No one knows why.

The ELM

YWP Instructor

More by The ELM