What is this?

A place for the YWP community to share tiny moments, ideas, stories, thoughts, questions, reflections, discoveries ...

Art by Ice Blink; Banner by laurenm

A tiny moment, story

I just want to say

Thank you so much ywp!! All your kind words have made everything better thru out the pandemic! You guys have made me think that maybe I am actually kinda good at writing!
After doing virtual I forgot how hard in person school can be but all your positivity is really lifting me up!!
I always would write and read the daily read and look at my loves when I am sad or bored or just wanna read all th kind comments!!
Thank you so much ywp!! All of you are so kind and amazing!!
What a thoughtful shout-out to everyone at YWP! It's the people (like you, Flowergirl12300) who make YWP so amazing!
09/21/2021 - 8:56am
:D
thx
Sorry I just felt like expressing myself a little to show how much I appreciate all you guys lol
09/21/2021 - 8:45pm
questionnaire!

1. would you rather write on a typewriter or a computer?
2. flowers or trees?
3. history or math?
4. english or science?
5. online school or in-person school?
6. would you rather write a novel about characters on a road trip or an ocean cruise?
7. the old-fashioned way (letters, horseback riding/carriages) or the modern way (texting/emailing, cars, etc.)?
8. the hobbit/lotr or the narnia series?
Show all 7 comments
1. both :) typewriter website on your computer
2. ergh... um. Trees, I suppose.
3. HISTORY
4. ENGLISH
5. in-person 1000%. never want to go online again.
6. road trip! I like writing vignettes and I need to work on banter
7. modern way. i can't imagine doing homework without a computer.
8. unfortunately, haven't read either yet :(
09/19/2021 - 3:10am
1. Computer
2. Flowers
3. Math!!
4. English!!
5. In-person
6. Road trip
7. Modern way
8. Narnia!!!
09/19/2021 - 9:07am
1. computer
2. trees
3. math
4. science
5. IN PERSON THIS SHOULD NEVER BE A QUESTION IN PERSON 1000000000%
6. ocean cruise
7. modernnnnnn
8. lord of the rings all the way :)
09/20/2021 - 9:21am
1. Computer
2. Tree with Flowers (:
3. *math*
4. English
5. In Person.
6. Ehmmm Road Trip? I guess?
7. Modern
8. ...Neither?
09/21/2021 - 10:37am
1) Computer
2) trees (ooh I like Lauren's answer though)
3) history
4) English
5) In-Person
6) road trip
7) Modern (but I feel like that's kind of selfish considering where its got us, so maybe post-modern: Solar power high speed trains, etc...)
8) lotr (though I do have a special place in my heart for Narnia)
09/21/2021 - 11:11am
1. Typewriter!
2. Trees
3. Math- though I’m terrible at it xD
4. English
5. In-person… but I did like async for time for my own hobbies
6. Road trip..?
7. Old-fashioned all the way
8. The hobbit/lotr
Thx this was fun:)
09/22/2021 - 10:18am
1. computer, but typewriter for the aesthetic
2. both
3. history, but it depends what period. Like, 20th century yes, 8000 BCE nooo
4. English
5. in person all the way
6. road trip
7. modern way. There is something romantic about sending letters but that's also very inconvenient
8.hobbit!
1 day ago
Yay! My school's having the first field trip of the year next week! We're going hiking!!
Yayyyyy!!!! That sounds like fun!!!
09/18/2021 - 4:41pm
AH YAY makes me happy to know fieldtrips are coming back :)
09/19/2021 - 3:05am
Yeah!! But now it looks like it's gonna rain so we're probably gonna have to reschedule
09/19/2021 - 9:09am
love always has to be one of the scariest things in the world
Very true
09/18/2021 - 10:14am
Agreed
09/21/2021 - 11:08am
Hi everyone! Amaryllis and I are hosting the first Oh Snap! Online Open Mic of the school year tomorrow (Saturday, Sept. 18) at 1pm EST! Join us to share your writing and talk about random things, like books, TikToks, and cats, just to name a few! Sign up today! And reach out to me or amaryllis on the site with any questions you have!
Can't wait to see you there :)
BROADWAY IS BACK BITCHES
YES FINALLY OMFG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
09/18/2021 - 7:22am
eeeeeeee
09/20/2021 - 10:44am
hey everyone! i've been away for a while but hope everyone is doing well :))
"I am a woman,
Phenomenally,
Phenomenal woman,
That's me"
Maya Angelou
"Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
’Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin’ in my own backyard."
Maya Angelou
09/16/2021 - 1:38pm
hey so idk where else to put this for advice so i apologize for laying this on you guys lol but my boyfriend came out as transgender FTM last year and now that we're back in person for school, people keep using wrong pronouns and calling him by his dead name and it's really hurting him. do any of you have any advice as for what i can do to make him feel better about himself and life in general?
hey :) its so great that your looking out for him and one of the best things to do is let him know yr there for support, and you value him as a person. This too shall pass and things will get better. Maybe finding support groups/ communities where ppl can relate to his experiences could also bc they can relate. And in the feeling better department it never hurts to plan something fun to do on the weekends with friends like go biking or bowling, attempt baking or watch movies, just as something to look forward too after a long week of school :)
09/15/2021 - 11:40pm
As for names/pronouns from my (my friends) experience sometimes it just takes time for people to remember and make that change in their heads, sometimes their not being rude, they just need a polite reminder until they get it right (at least I did) I had a bold friend who wrote their pronouns on one of those name stickers/piece of paper and pinned it to themselves for a solid two weeks to help :)
09/15/2021 - 11:42pm
did you guys know that the white fluffy dandelions and the yellow dandelions are the same thing???? why did nobody tell me
Haha, I knew since I was little but it was a shock as well. It's just amazing how it actually "dies" twice.
09/14/2021 - 12:47pm
i was shocked when i found out too!!!!
09/14/2021 - 3:43pm
Does anyone know how you mentor people? Like do you have to be a certain age or something?
Am I really any better? If my prayers fall dully from my lips like pebbles, am I really any better than those sleeping in on a Sunday?
Self-reflection is crucial to spiritual growth. {:)
09/13/2021 - 6:30pm
A LIZARD WAS ON MY COMPUTER!!!!! I was writing an essay about nature and there it was, crawling up the side of my laptop! Funny thing was, in my essay I was saying how we as humans are inhabiting the land that once only belonged to nature and animals, then nature and animals decided to inhabit my home!!! Catch and release! Very terrifying yet poetic. Has anyone ever had that experience where you felt such poetic irony? Or maybe when you realized how nature changed your way of thinking of things?
Show all 4 comments
A LIZARD?! How did it get in?? XD that’s amazing.
09/10/2021 - 10:00am
I love it! How ironic is that? I mean, come on! That's awesome :D
09/11/2021 - 6:14pm
OMG cool! thats as ironic as it gets XD
09/12/2021 - 9:27pm
Wow, that's amazing.
09/13/2021 - 2:47pm
we were near the end of math class and the teacher got a call, told whoever was on the phone all our names, and then told us we had to stay here because someone in our class had been diagnosed with covid. everyone got their temperatures taken, and we had lunch in that classroom half an hour later. it was terrifying. we weren't even allowed to get out of our seats.
oh dear, I'm sry that happened :(( Hope everyone is ok and sending good vibes your way
09/09/2021 - 11:52pm
im so sorry; i hope you're okay and your class is okay. pls be safe *sends hugs and love through computer*
09/10/2021 - 10:16am
That sounds so scary! Same as @Treblemaker and @IceGalaxy—I hope everyone's okay.
09/11/2021 - 4:43pm
pov: you finally get to do a fall musical at school again and you just started rehearsals and you call your friend on facetime and cry together because you're just sO excited to perform live again haha
awww that’s so cute, it made me excited for this years musical :)))) i hope you have fun! there’s something about theater where you just feel like a family.
09/10/2021 - 7:26am
exactly
09/10/2021 - 2:27pm
“Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.” -G. K. Chesterton
Show all 4 comments
time to make history and prove this guy wrong
09/07/2021 - 1:57am
my next poem will be about cheese
09/07/2021 - 10:34am
Cheese is wonderous--it's incredible no one has addressed this mistake of not talking about it yet :P
09/08/2021 - 11:43am
Excellent! Up with cheese! {:D
09/10/2021 - 10:02am
i just wrote a poem for the first time in months, and it reminded my why poetry is so nice. poetry doesn't need commas, or periods, or real structure. it's a rhythm that no one really knows until it's done, and by that time you realize you've written a song.
What a great way to describe it! I agree, it's a beautiful form of writing that can capture feelings and moments with just a few lines.
09/14/2021 - 12:42pm
thoughts and prayers out to those who got hit the hardest by hurricane ida; my town was lucky and we only got a little bit of rain and thunder, but my love is going out to those cities hit the hardest. we love you, stay strong
hello
I am new to my school, and most people seem to be in their own clique. How can I make friends?
Any help would be appreciated
Hi! I think the easiest way to make friends is to talk to kids that sit around you during class. I know this is pretty hard with masks and it can be a little nerve-wracking at first, but it's definitely worth it! Just be yourself, be kind, and be approachable, and things will fall into line. You can even ask kids you talk to more often if you can eat lunch with them—almost everyone will say yes, at least in my experience. Making friends sometimes takes time, but you'll find your place eventually. And I'm sure there are lots of people who would want to be your friend! :)
08/31/2021 - 7:42pm
I know it can be really hard to join in and feel a sense of belonging when everyone seems to have their own friend group. I become anxious and really shy in front of people, so making friends is really hard for me. You’re not alone in this, and I know it can feel really lonely and terrible but you will find your place. Like GreyBean said, eating lunch with people and talking to those around you in class is a great start! A simple wave or a "hi" can come a long way too. I hope things will go well for you at school :)
09/01/2021 - 1:22am
A good tactic is to talk to others and find common interests. You can do it!
09/01/2021 - 3:53pm
I have been very "into " Tchaikovsky recently (I did that first try!) and I love 'Swan Lake, Op. 20 Act 2: Scene (Moderato)' with all of my heart. What have you all been listening to? I'd love recommendations. Writing has become a prominent part of my life, and I'd like to listen to something that would be fun to listen to while doing that, but also, random great songs that you have listened to is another thing I may or may not be begging you all for.
Show all 5 comments
Some of my absolute favorite classical songs are: "Serenade" by Schubert, "Morning Mood" by Edvard Greig (a great story opener!), and "Rondo alla Turca" by Mozart. Also, if you want to do an awesome fight scene I highly recommend listening to "The Arena" and "Crystallize" by Lindsey Sterling!
08/29/2021 - 7:48pm
I know this is super basic, but for classical music I love Yo Yo Ma. I also found this cool artist, Takenobu. Oooh also balmorea!!!!
08/31/2021 - 1:52pm
I like music from the 1800s- romantic period, such as Brahms, Tchaikovsky, and Bruch. But it depends on my mood because I do like Bach and Mozart. For piano, it's Chopin, Rachmaninoff, and Tchaik.
08/31/2021 - 4:08pm
I love Tchaikovsky too! I think his violin concerto and string quartet is really beautiful. I love Widmung by Schumann and it reminds me of some bittersweet moments when I'm writing, or Schubert impromptus and Beethoven romances! And of course I love listening to the duck song.
09/01/2021 - 1:27am
i...haha...i hate classical music...*waits for everyone to get their rage out* and i love the opposite: punk and heavy metallllllll!!! recently i'm obsessing over YONAKA's new album and system of a down, but that's personal preference :) also i've had a strange obsession with Eminem recently idk why lol
09/02/2021 - 2:07pm