What is this?

A place for the YWP community to share tiny moments, ideas, stories, thoughts, questions, reflections, discoveries ...

Art by Ice Blink; Banner by laurenm

A tiny moment, story

Yo everyone! If anyone has poem ideas that would be greatly appreciated because my brain is leaking rn
uhh, let me think.
maybe poems using certain words or colors as the topic. i know that there is a weekly challenge for the color red, so maybe focus on that. if anyone wants to comment any eords to use, please feel free! I have been having a very big writer's block recently, i just wrote my first poem in two months today.
6 hours ago
Hmm....I've kinda been struggling with this problem too recently. It feels like school just drains all the creative ideas out of me. What I do sometimes when I can't think of anything is create a list of activities/objects that remind me of a certain idea/feeling. For example, you could pick a topic like summer, and just create a list of things that remind you of summer, like sticky watermelon or 2 dollar flip-flops. Then, once you've finished the list, try to compile it into a poem. I find this to be really really helpful for myself, and the poem often evolves into something really meaningful for me. I hope this was helpful!!
6 hours ago
"Dare to live the life you dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
My school had an interesting week.Today there is maybe 5% of the student body here because there were some political disagreements/riots/choas the other day and threats were made.Peeople started talking about bringing guns to school and the next thing you know I'm sitting at school with only one other person in my class. You always read about these things at school but never think they could come close to home.It very safe, police and precautions just kids don't want to take any chances.
Show all 4 comments
That's terrible. And some people still believe that gun control isn't needed. We as children shouldn't have to be worried about being killed at school.
2 days ago
Ya. Little update, there are only 26 high scholers and like 30 middle scholers here. I just had Spanish class by myslef.
2 days ago
Only you?? What is the school doing to handle this?
15 hours ago
Oh no! Reminds me when I opted to go back to school when they first opened up, but much scarier! I feel like I've been hearing about school gun threats a lot more lately :(
7 hours ago
i haven't been on here in a long time. i miss you all. i've been completely swamped with schoolwork. taking the SHSAT tomorrow. wish me luck ;)!!
Good luck!!
12/01/2021 - 9:04pm
You got this *thumbs up*
12/02/2021 - 1:56am
thank you! it went well!
6 hours ago
song of the week: orange juice by melanie martinez.
read the lyrics as you listen.
i am in shock
There is beauty in the ashes of a heart that burned for what it loved
the greatest feat of strength a person can show is walking away from something
Young Writers Project recently had its 19th birthday -- 15th as a web community. Imagine how many words y'all have written in that time. Mind-boggling.
Wow! Happy 19th ywp :) just thinking of all the past ywp'ers that have written and shared their creativity on here is so empowering
11/25/2021 - 9:33pm
It is mind boggling actually. Thousands upon thousands of kids. Speaking. Finding voice. Rattling cages. Moving us to tears. Or laughter. Music. Art. Sound. Also.

As you know I founded YWP and, as you may not know, I stepped away to devote energy to my own writing project -- a novel, which I will be publishing as a serial, online, with audio (and other digital attractions.)

But from time to time I jump in to see how y'all are doing and I so appreciate your effort Treblemaker -- your writing is wonderful, evocative, fresh. AND you comment. A lot. And that builds community. Thank you. Be well.
11/26/2021 - 12:57pm
Indeed it is and no, thank you! because you managed to create the most amazing, community oriented, inspiring writing platform on the internet! (at least to me). Also its great to see you hop on here and leave inspiring comments on our stuff, it makes my day.
Best of luck with your novel and I'd love to read it sometime. All the best!
11/28/2021 - 12:26am
Just wanted to tell everyone that I'm very thankful for this community! I hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving! :))
happy thanksgiving!!
11/26/2021 - 1:28am
i'm a little late but happy thanksgiving to you all, so fortunate to have found ywp and so many awesome writers :P
11/27/2021 - 2:40am
I suppose now that Thanksgiving is coming up, I might as well write five things that I'm thankful for--my mom and English teacher would be happy to hear about it, and I'd have some stuff to look back on if I don't have anything when the inevitable assignments come in.
1) Writing
2) Words
3) Music (Especially Red (Taylor's Version))
4) Our 3,500 acres to walk in
5) Chapstick (It gets gross out here haha!)
What about you guys?
Show all 5 comments
Five of the things that I am grateful for are,
1. Pens
2. Notebooks
3. Family
4. Sunrises and Sunsets
5. My Backpack
11/23/2021 - 4:38pm
1. good company
2. the written word
3. the notes app
4. sweaters & sweatshirts (this is cheating, ik)
5. the huntington gardens
11/23/2021 - 10:17pm
1. Family/new friends
2. trains
3. kind people
4. wordhippo and rhyemzone websites XD
5. ywp!
11/24/2021 - 12:45am
1. My family
2. November in VT
3. Art
4. The anticipation of wonderful food
5. Chickens
11/24/2021 - 11:25am
1. thesaurus.com
2. my family specifically my sister
3. chocolate
4. the ability to go to a great school
5. ywp:)
11/24/2021 - 12:35pm
When she put down the book she doused the flame but she left a bookmark so it could be lit again,
I love that
11/22/2021 - 8:45pm
i've read this several times already (when i'm too lazy to log in), and i still can't get over this line!
11/23/2021 - 10:19pm
My school just closed down until Thanksgiving or maybe longer because of covid spreading around and we might go virtual soon...
love is so hard, your better off with a cup of hot chocolate
I've challenged myself with trying to write a 5000 word opinion/essay about living healthy!
that's awesome :) i hope it goes well you got this!
11/18/2021 - 7:48am
Thank you! :)
11/18/2021 - 8:00am
hey does anyone know if you can change your username? i made this one 3 years ago and i would love to be able to change it, thanks! :D
Hi I'm sorry I'm pretty sure you can't change it you can try emailing Susan Reid though to make sure! Sorry again.
11/16/2021 - 4:21pm
If you email Susan she can change it for you!
11/16/2021 - 5:21pm
Yes! Let me know, Jazmine, and we can update it for you. And thanks Geri and Flowergirl!
11/17/2021 - 6:06am
Hi YWP! Amaryllis and I are hosting another Oh Snap! Online Open Mic this Saturday (Nov. 20th) at 1pm Eastern! If you haven't been to an open mic before, it's tons of fun! We usually go around several times sharing poetry or short stories (sometimes raps!). We also talk about writing, social media, what's going on in our lives, favorite books, etc. We would love to have you join us! Signup is on the front page of YWP. If you have any questions, send me or amaryllis a message!
- Iris :)
hope to see you all there!
11/16/2021 - 10:35am
I'll be there !! :)
11/16/2021 - 12:42pm
i was driving back from a hockey tournament and the song "wake me up when september ends" came on the radio and i started crying. my dad asked me what was wrong and i just said i wanted the world to hear this song.
happy new taylor swift album day everyone :)
Yesss! I'm obsessed with it. Especially All Too Well the 10 minute version
11/13/2021 - 11:39am
Only she can pull off a 10 minute song, and the new lyrics vids are all gorgeous!
11/16/2021 - 10:36am
Yeah! I love this album!!
11/16/2021 - 4:22pm
we had yesterday off for Diwali and now it's so strange to be back at school for just the one day and then I'll have the weekend off ... like it's really messing with my sense of time but don't get me wrong! I'm glad that my school is finally recognizing holidays of other religions than Christianity (like we've finally gotten Jewish holidays off this year) even though it took a while
wow, that's awesome! my school is not so progressive, so my friends were so tired from waking up for Diwali that one of them kept thinking Thursday was Friday
11/07/2021 - 8:24pm
do you ever think about how you’re one half of a future two initials carved inside a heart…