What is this?

A place for the YWP community to share tiny moments, ideas, stories, thoughts, questions, reflections, discoveries ...

Art by Ice Blink; Banner by laurenm

A tiny moment, story

I went on a photo walk in the woods with my dad and we met a snake (: We named him Jeremiah and he kind of came out of nowhere and my dad got excited and went "Snake!" and I got scared b/c when someone yells snake it's usually not a good thing, but Jeremiah was just a Garter snake and he was very cooperative and agreed to model for a photoshoot (: I got a shot of him with his tongue out and I'm very very happy about it. We also met a butterfly who was much less cooperative for the photo. xD
Oh wow! Saw the photos of Jeremiah, those are really cool! :)
3 hours ago
Some days I don't smile because I'm happy
I smile because Im afraid of showing im not ok.
i’ve felt this before. still do. it really sucks. i usually just smile to show others i’m okay even when i’m not so that i don’t dampen their moods, and put a mask over my emotions. or just because i don’t want to seem “weak”. it eats at you from the inside once it’s bottled too long. sometimes we just have to accept emotions are simply human and there’s nothing wrong with not always having a smile on your face :)
2 days ago
I can relate. Sometimes the rest of my family is so happy, I don't want to be the one bringing them down. I don't want to make a big deal out of it so I just plaster a smile and say I'm fine.
1 day ago
I am curious about what counts as cultural appropriation in world-building. And whether you think it's ok for people of Western European descent to take inspiration from cultures that are marginalized in America for their fantasy worlds?

Also is it appropriation to write a story from the perspective of a character who is a different gender than you?
Show all 5 comments
On both counts, I don't think so. It'll be harder to write from those perspectives because since you don't have the full experience of living within (idk if that's the right word) a gender/culture and need to fill in those gaps, but if done well and correctly it's not an issue. I personally view characters and the authors as separate beings, which is what amazes me about writing. You create another "person" (not necessarily human, but y'know what I mean). But if a piece becomes not believable because your characters or the world they live in become more stereotype than "person", then you have a problem because the piece stops becoming a life and more a reflection of the author's ignorance.

(sorry that was long and very dramatic haha. curious to here what anyone has to say on the subject though)
2 days ago
I think it's okay to write from another gender's perspective. So many stories are written like that! With cultures that are different from your own, though, I feel like it's super important to do your research (reading books, watching movies, talking with people you may know who are a part of that culture, etc.) and make sure you're representing that culture as it is, not as a stereotype that white people (most likely) have. Even if you're just taking inspiration, research is a must to make sure that whatever you're taking inspiration from is real/not a stereotype or generalization/okay to write about! Hopefully that was helpful to read :)
2 days ago
^^^^^ agree agree agree, also i think that writing from another gender’s perspective is a great way to find a different view of the world. in my opinion a person’s gender doesn’t define them, so you can do the same sort of character building you always do, maybe with a little research to someone of that gender? also i SO AGREE with charvermont!!
2 days ago
@ Yellow Sweater I’ve been wondering the same thing, I had this dream which was written in the form of a book (probably the coolest thing that has ever happened to me.) but the narrator wasn’t the same race as me. I was hoping to transform this dream into a story but I didn’t know how to do it appropriately.
2 days ago
Yes, definitely agree with everything being said here! I would definitely encourage research, and I feel like this is fine as long as people of those cultures and genders are having their own stories of their identity celebrated as well. I often wonder about this, as I want to make sure I’m not writing something that is really someone else’s story to tell, someone who has lived and experienced similar things. But I definitely agree with what you said @amaryllis about the author and the character being different ‘people’.
2 days ago
This is just a question that I was thinking about: Are sadder poems the ones who hit your heart the most or is it the happier poems that make you smile? What do you guys think? Both definitely reflect different emotions and they can affect others differently but, I was just thinking about it so ... what do you think?
Show all 6 comments
Hm...this is a good question...personally, for me, the sad poems impact me more. I do love happy poems, though, I just think sad poems make me think deeper about certain issues and feelings.
04/15/2021 - 4:21pm
It depends on my mood. If I'm sad I either want a happy poem to cheer me up, or a sad one to reflect my emotions. It's that way with song for me too.
04/15/2021 - 5:17pm
For me sad poems hit me more. Just something about the way they're written.
04/15/2021 - 5:26pm
I like the inspirational and philosophical stuff the most, where the images make you have a visceral reaction and the metaphor of the piece is so intricate and accurate it's mind blowing. So not necessarily an emotion... it might also be I'm reading the wrong stuff but idk poems don't make me feel sad or happy in a way a song does, it just leaves me in varying degrees awe.
2 days ago
hmmm... i think any poem that can accurately capture an image or feeling i can relate to. typically, it’s the sadder ones XD
2 days ago
Agreed with @moonsand. I think sadder poems reflect deeper emotions in general, and are therefore easier to relate to. They definitely hit harder for me. I would rather write happier/funnier poems in general but if I really want someone to relate I think picking a deeper/sadder emotion/event resonates with everyone heart a bit more. good question, deff made me think
1 day ago
Sometimes when I am writing fiction I create a really vivid character at first, but they start to blur the more I write. Does anyone else have this problem?
Show all 5 comments
This actually happens to me all the time. When I'm writing I know what I want to write but as I am writing I kinda lose my focus. That's why I quit most of the stories I write.
04/14/2021 - 8:57am
That happens all the time to me. It usually takes me the whole day to figure out something else to do. xD
04/14/2021 - 4:02pm
same @Yellowsweater I make like one vivid character than throw them into all these scenarios and loose their character lol @Penelope, I kinda run out of steam with any short story too before I finish it too, ugh
04/15/2021 - 9:03am
yes. all. the. time.
2 days ago
hey guys, check out the ywp Feedback Circle, starting soon :) great place to work on fiction stories/character development with some writing friends
1 day ago
i found this link and thought you guys might want to see it :)
https://interactive.aljazeera.com/aje/2020/know-their-names/index.html
#BLM
I was thinking how in a week it's going to be April break and after that, it's going to be summer. Kinda like the final stretch.' It's a cool thing that I won't be going back to middle school but it's also kind of scary going somewhere new.
Do any other 8th graders feel this way?
Show all 6 comments
I feel this. It's like, yay! school's almost over, but also, oh shoot I'm going be in high school next year
04/13/2021 - 5:46pm
Agh, same! I'm super excited for high school (new friends, new campus, more course choices), but I'm also nervous for the transition.
04/13/2021 - 6:05pm
I am going into college next year, but I definitely feel this. Especially science I still haven't decided where I am going!
04/13/2021 - 10:24pm
I feel this so much. Yeah. It’s so daunting, really.
04/14/2021 - 10:50pm
Ugh same, I'm heading to college too and I can't believe theres like two-ish months of this school year left!
04/15/2021 - 9:36am
i’m super nervous, but at the same time excited! i’m entering into a very rigorous school with extremely high expectation for its students and yeah, like how infinite said, it’s daunting.
2 days ago
How do people decorate the doors to their rooms? In lots of movies all the teenager doors have like stop signs and gnarly posters on it- meanwhile I have a singular picture of a Robbin and don't know what else to add XD Just curious what others used as decoration lol
Show all 11 comments
@Penelope I have had experience with this XD when I was maybe seven or eight I put a sign I decorated with my name on it on my door, and I think it left some marks when I removed it. All of these decorations sound awesome, though! @YellowSweater wow a glass door!
2 days ago
@greybean love it! Also @whitney I'd want that in poster form XD Definitly felt the sticker part too, I decorated a wooden book case with stickers and they are still there... well, the glue is anyways XD
1 day ago
We need to stop trying to build utopia and instead methodically problem-solve. - My (unusually) blunt political thought for the day:)

I spent the two-hour car/ferry ride back from Seattle lecturing my mom about geopolitics. And now, I can't get to sleep because I am thinking about Nagorno Karabakh.
Big news!
My Story the Waterfall is posted on vtdigger.com on People and Places!
This is awesome!
Thanks for all your support everyone!!
Show all 8 comments
Wow CONGRADULATIONS!! Send a link I'd love to read it!
04/11/2021 - 7:13pm
That's awesome!!!
04/12/2021 - 1:25am
Congrats Penelope! And here's the link to The Waterfall and all the YWP pieces featured weekly on VTDigger.org. https://vtdigger.org/tag/young-writers-project/
04/12/2021 - 8:05am
Thanks so much!!
Here's the link: https://vtdigger.org/tag/young-writers-project/

04/12/2021 - 8:06am
Haha the funny thing is about this story I wrote I hated it so I deleted it but somehow the person at VTDigger saw it. I made sure to post it on my blog so you guys could see it
04/12/2021 - 8:07am
Wow that's awesome, congratulations!! It's such a good story.
04/12/2021 - 11:28am
Thanks soooo much (:
04/12/2021 - 12:48pm
Wow I just realized VTdiggs highlights ywp pieces, thats so cool!
04/12/2021 - 7:17pm
The Global Just Recovery Gathering is a three-day online event featuring interactive workshops, cultural sessions, and hands-on trainings. Build your skills, strengthen relationships, and hear from a powerful line-up of climate leaders, artists, and musicians in every corner of the world. https://act.350.org/go/227897?t=6
Please join us! 7:15 - 8:45 ET
thank you for sharing this!
04/11/2021 - 1:25am
The chance of someone being born is 400 trillion to one... Wow we're lucky
In drumline, we're trying to figure out this song but we don't have the music to it, we just have a video of our school doing it like 30 years ago so this was us trying to figure it out xD
Me: How does this section go?
Drummer dude: Oh yeah, that's easy it's just"BRRRRR BRUH-BRUH-BRUH DIGGIDA DIGGIDA DA DAT DAT BRRRRRR BRADADA DO DA DA DO DA" Got it?
Me: ...........
The kid next to me: ...no yeah that makes sense.
I still don't know the part ): xD
i'm listening to a song i made that i think has possibly the catchiest beat ever and now i can't get it out of my head
Currently dealing with writers block, and this assignment is due today...any suggestions on how to get rid of it?
What I do when I get writer's block is go back and re-read some of my old stories and sometimes I get more ideas. Also reading my favorite books helps too. If all else fails I look up 'story prompts' on Google and read through A LOT of them.
04/09/2021 - 8:29am
That's perfect, thank you!!!!!!!1
04/10/2021 - 1:23pm
story time
My mom sister and I were driving home and my mom commented on these stunning pink trees we kept passing. Then my sister pointed out all the yellow butter cups and I said something about large yellow bushes I never noticed before. Soon we're just remarking on all the vibrant colors/plants from our town that we swear we don't remember... We soon realized our awe was because we legit missed spring last year due to covid... so, really, we haven't seen spring plants in over two years XD
I just had to come on here and brag because I am thrilled! I am going to have a couple of essays published in the Blue Marble Review. It's just a teen magazine, but the work they have published is so wonderful. I am really honored to get to contribute. Thanks for indulging my silly little burst of excitement.
Show all 10 comments
Congrats!!
04/09/2021 - 10:00am
Thank you all! I will definitely post a link when it comes out:)
04/09/2021 - 11:49am
sdj 4.8
-having a curl-up-on-the-kitchen-floor kinda day
-got a hair cut that looks half decent
-the only thing making me happy right now is that i successfully painted my nails black
-does anyone else feel like the seating chart changes right when you get used to your new seat?
-drowning in work
I never paint my nails, i can not paint them successfully and i don’t like the feeling of nail polish.
04/08/2021 - 10:27am
I too am having a curl-up-on-the-kitchen-floor kinda day. Maybe a blanket-and-comfort-movie kinda day too. On the bright side its spring which is absolutely lovely!
04/08/2021 - 11:22pm
It kinda feels like I'm going crazy because I do the same thing every single day.
My days consist of the same thing.
-Wake up
-Breakfast
-School
-Lunch
-More school
-Finish school
-Have nothing to do
Can anyone relate?
I can, everyday feels to monotonous sometimes. Luckily, the spring weather puts me in a better mood :)
04/08/2021 - 3:53pm
i can relate. everything feels the same.
04/08/2021 - 9:15pm
Yes. Yes I can. the reputation in my days is starting to get to me
04/08/2021 - 11:22pm
SdJ 4.7
-I have...
- to get to bed earlier
- a deep hatred for zoom
- a whole bag of candy and would love to see how long its lasts
- too many decisions to make
- very little homework that I'm still procrastinating on
- a new phrase which is "yup we'll see what happens" because, really, I'd like to see whats gonna happen
I share a lot of these things with you, still procrastinating.
04/07/2021 - 8:32am