What is this?

A place for the YWP community to share tiny moments, ideas, stories, thoughts, questions, reflections, discoveries ...

Art by Ice Blink; Banner by laurenm

A tiny moment, story

hey so idk where else to put this for advice so i apologize for laying this on you guys lol but my boyfriend came out as transgender FTM last year and now that we're back in person for school, people keep using wrong pronouns and calling him by his dead name and it's really hurting him. do any of you have any advice as for what i can do to make him feel better about himself and life in general?
hey :) its so great that your looking out for him and one of the best things to do is let him know yr there for support, and you value him as a person. This too shall pass and things will get better. Maybe finding support groups/ communities where ppl can relate to his experiences could also bc they can relate. And in the feeling better department it never hurts to plan something fun to do on the weekends with friends like go biking or bowling, attempt baking or watch movies, just as something to look forward too after a long week of school :)
09/15/2021 - 11:40pm
As for names/pronouns from my (my friends) experience sometimes it just takes time for people to remember and make that change in their heads, sometimes their not being rude, they just need a polite reminder until they get it right (at least I did) I had a bold friend who wrote their pronouns on one of those name stickers/piece of paper and pinned it to themselves for a solid two weeks to help :)
09/15/2021 - 11:42pm
did you guys know that the white fluffy dandelions and the yellow dandelions are the same thing???? why did nobody tell me
Haha, I knew since I was little but it was a shock as well. It's just amazing how it actually "dies" twice.
09/14/2021 - 12:47pm
i was shocked when i found out too!!!!
09/14/2021 - 3:43pm
Does anyone know how you mentor people? Like do you have to be a certain age or something?
Am I really any better? If my prayers fall dully from my lips like pebbles, am I really any better than those sleeping in on a Sunday?
Self-reflection is crucial to spiritual growth. {:)
09/13/2021 - 6:30pm
A LIZARD WAS ON MY COMPUTER!!!!! I was writing an essay about nature and there it was, crawling up the side of my laptop! Funny thing was, in my essay I was saying how we as humans are inhabiting the land that once only belonged to nature and animals, then nature and animals decided to inhabit my home!!! Catch and release! Very terrifying yet poetic. Has anyone ever had that experience where you felt such poetic irony? Or maybe when you realized how nature changed your way of thinking of things?
Show all 4 comments
A LIZARD?! How did it get in?? XD that’s amazing.
09/10/2021 - 10:00am
I love it! How ironic is that? I mean, come on! That's awesome :D
09/11/2021 - 6:14pm
OMG cool! thats as ironic as it gets XD
09/12/2021 - 9:27pm
Wow, that's amazing.
09/13/2021 - 2:47pm
we were near the end of math class and the teacher got a call, told whoever was on the phone all our names, and then told us we had to stay here because someone in our class had been diagnosed with covid. everyone got their temperatures taken, and we had lunch in that classroom half an hour later. it was terrifying. we weren't even allowed to get out of our seats.
oh dear, I'm sry that happened :(( Hope everyone is ok and sending good vibes your way
09/09/2021 - 11:52pm
im so sorry; i hope you're okay and your class is okay. pls be safe *sends hugs and love through computer*
09/10/2021 - 10:16am
That sounds so scary! Same as @Treblemaker and @IceGalaxy—I hope everyone's okay.
09/11/2021 - 4:43pm
pov: you finally get to do a fall musical at school again and you just started rehearsals and you call your friend on facetime and cry together because you're just sO excited to perform live again haha
awww that’s so cute, it made me excited for this years musical :)))) i hope you have fun! there’s something about theater where you just feel like a family.
09/10/2021 - 7:26am
exactly
09/10/2021 - 2:27pm
“Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.” -G. K. Chesterton
Show all 4 comments
time to make history and prove this guy wrong
09/07/2021 - 1:57am
my next poem will be about cheese
09/07/2021 - 10:34am
Cheese is wonderous--it's incredible no one has addressed this mistake of not talking about it yet :P
09/08/2021 - 11:43am
Excellent! Up with cheese! {:D
09/10/2021 - 10:02am
i just wrote a poem for the first time in months, and it reminded my why poetry is so nice. poetry doesn't need commas, or periods, or real structure. it's a rhythm that no one really knows until it's done, and by that time you realize you've written a song.
What a great way to describe it! I agree, it's a beautiful form of writing that can capture feelings and moments with just a few lines.
09/14/2021 - 12:42pm
thoughts and prayers out to those who got hit the hardest by hurricane ida; my town was lucky and we only got a little bit of rain and thunder, but my love is going out to those cities hit the hardest. we love you, stay strong
hello
I am new to my school, and most people seem to be in their own clique. How can I make friends?
Any help would be appreciated
Hi! I think the easiest way to make friends is to talk to kids that sit around you during class. I know this is pretty hard with masks and it can be a little nerve-wracking at first, but it's definitely worth it! Just be yourself, be kind, and be approachable, and things will fall into line. You can even ask kids you talk to more often if you can eat lunch with them—almost everyone will say yes, at least in my experience. Making friends sometimes takes time, but you'll find your place eventually. And I'm sure there are lots of people who would want to be your friend! :)
08/31/2021 - 7:42pm
I know it can be really hard to join in and feel a sense of belonging when everyone seems to have their own friend group. I become anxious and really shy in front of people, so making friends is really hard for me. You’re not alone in this, and I know it can feel really lonely and terrible but you will find your place. Like GreyBean said, eating lunch with people and talking to those around you in class is a great start! A simple wave or a "hi" can come a long way too. I hope things will go well for you at school :)
09/01/2021 - 1:22am
A good tactic is to talk to others and find common interests. You can do it!
09/01/2021 - 3:53pm
I have been very "into " Tchaikovsky recently (I did that first try!) and I love 'Swan Lake, Op. 20 Act 2: Scene (Moderato)' with all of my heart. What have you all been listening to? I'd love recommendations. Writing has become a prominent part of my life, and I'd like to listen to something that would be fun to listen to while doing that, but also, random great songs that you have listened to is another thing I may or may not be begging you all for.
Show all 5 comments
Some of my absolute favorite classical songs are: "Serenade" by Schubert, "Morning Mood" by Edvard Greig (a great story opener!), and "Rondo alla Turca" by Mozart. Also, if you want to do an awesome fight scene I highly recommend listening to "The Arena" and "Crystallize" by Lindsey Sterling!
08/29/2021 - 7:48pm
I know this is super basic, but for classical music I love Yo Yo Ma. I also found this cool artist, Takenobu. Oooh also balmorea!!!!
08/31/2021 - 1:52pm
I like music from the 1800s- romantic period, such as Brahms, Tchaikovsky, and Bruch. But it depends on my mood because I do like Bach and Mozart. For piano, it's Chopin, Rachmaninoff, and Tchaik.
08/31/2021 - 4:08pm
I love Tchaikovsky too! I think his violin concerto and string quartet is really beautiful. I love Widmung by Schumann and it reminds me of some bittersweet moments when I'm writing, or Schubert impromptus and Beethoven romances! And of course I love listening to the duck song.
09/01/2021 - 1:27am
i...haha...i hate classical music...*waits for everyone to get their rage out* and i love the opposite: punk and heavy metallllllll!!! recently i'm obsessing over YONAKA's new album and system of a down, but that's personal preference :) also i've had a strange obsession with Eminem recently idk why lol
09/02/2021 - 2:07pm
randoms questions bc why not
1). would you rather travel to the past, present or future?
2.) infinite money or infinite health?
3.) would you rather have the power to talk to animals or control the weather?
4.) favorite sport to play/watch?
5.) fold laundry or wash dishes?
6.) when you write, do you type it or write it on paper?
7.) if you had to change your name what would you change it to?
8.) favorite T.V show?
Show all 9 comments
ooooh yay!

1) past!
2) infinite health
3) ooh that's hard...I guess control the weather...
4) swimming!
5) laundry...I HATE the dishes
6) both
7) ummm I like my name, but I guess Jo?
8) Stranger Things, Derry Girls, The Witcher, and Ted Lasso (I can't choose)
08/28/2021 - 3:20pm
1. if racism and sexism were taken away definitely the past
2. infinite wealth
3. control the weather
4. volleyball at the moment
5. fold laundry
6. I write on paper first and then type the final draft
7. ivy
8. Family Reunion, The Good Place
08/29/2021 - 1:50pm
1. ...present, ig?
2. infinite wealth
3. oh hard one... weather
4. watching baseball, playing badminton
5. wash dishes 100%
6. both, but depends
7. I guess I wouldn't? perhaps Amaryllis? Or Lily? idk i like flowers
8. rn, Big Brother!
08/30/2021 - 12:16pm
1. dont like the space time continuum
2. infinite wealth but it cant be all used for materialistic purposes
3. yay animals
4. badminton = fun fast paced and tense
5. laundry here i come
6. paper
7. solomon because he could talk to animals :)
8. cobra kai
08/31/2021 - 10:13am
1. Same @thegreenone! Haha!
2. Infinite health
3. talk to animals
4. Soccer, ooh or maybe chess. I love watching chess.
5. Wash dishes
6. type
7. Alma, Idk, I just really like that name
8. Derry Girls
08/31/2021 - 1:55pm
1. Present idk
2. infinite wealth because i'm usually pretty healthy. (as i have a fractured leg lol)
3. control the weather
4. volleyball both playing and watching! :)
5. fold laundry
6. usually type it
7. um idk probably just keep my name even though ppl spell it wrong all of the time
8. rn probably all american but im watching a bunch rn
09/07/2021 - 12:36pm
@Grey Bean Ted Lasso, Derry Girls, and The Witcher!!!! We need to get together for a TV party sometime lol
09/13/2021 - 2:49pm
1) Past
2) Wealth (for damaging to the homeless cats and digs :3
3) Animal talk!!
4) Basketball (though I'm like the worst player ever...)
5) Laundry
6) Paper first unless I know exactly what I'm doing, but normally type last draft
7) Astrella, or Octavia, or Oriana, or Zoya, or Asena, or Nehemia, or Eden... I can't choose!!! (and no, I'm not religious, I just really like Eden as a name)
8) GLEE!!!
09/14/2021 - 4:19pm
Ted Lasso is quite possibly the best show I've ever seen
09/15/2021 - 7:45pm
My mom and I were walking our dog Timber in the woods this morning, and we stopped in order to better continue our conversation. Suddenly we heard this munching noise. We looked down, and Timber was picking blackberries and eating them. It was weird. He is a bear in disguise…. O_O
Show all 4 comments
Omg! My dog Little Man lovessss to eat the blackberries in my yard and I thought he was just a little strange but maybe its a dog thing? I'm not really sure haha
08/28/2021 - 11:19am
Awww that sounds so cute! My dog really likes plain Goldfish and it's so funny to hear him crunching on it...but he's never tried blackberries!
08/28/2021 - 12:15pm
I think dogs are other animals in disguise. Except some of them are just dogs all through. My dog is probably a bear. Or an amiable dragon. :)
08/30/2021 - 7:38pm
,My dog is so wolf..
08/31/2021 - 3:14pm
I didn't realized this whole piece was about time until it was.

time, new lenses
the essence of beliefs
from earlier days
Why is it that everything right now is overwhelming?
how many “right now”’s will there be
and
how many have passed
ooh that is so cool! I love "how many right now"s will there be...such a meaningful and interesting thing to think about!
08/29/2021 - 12:17pm
Did anyone else start school today? I did, and it was so weird being on campus with masks...but it was fun to meet teachers and other kids!
that sounds great!
08/26/2021 - 11:17am
I started today, and the day went much better than I expected :)
08/26/2021 - 7:49pm
I started a coupe days ago and it was great!
08/29/2021 - 11:58am
listening to mozart while scrolling through ywp is a brilliant combo... that is until the spotify ads popup so enjoy it while you can
Hi y'all! I'm trying to get back to regular posting on here because I just realized that I don't have all that much time left on this site, I'm back in my writing groove so I have lots written to share, including something I shared today that I'm actually pretty proud of. It's good to be back!
Can't wait to read more of your work!
08/24/2021 - 4:24pm
Hellooooooo! Good to ‘see’ you again! :]
08/26/2021 - 12:26pm
Does anyone know if there is a way to Check your followers?
Max told Avery, "I'm going to be Sophia's friend now because I feel bad that she has nobody to talk to." They lay in bed this morning pondering what to talk to me about.
What a peculiar feeling- when your jestful younger siblings are kind to you.
aww... that's adorable
08/22/2021 - 12:36pm
hmmm i have a younger sister and that has never happened to me so that is so cute lol
08/23/2021 - 9:59am
aww thats so cute
08/24/2021 - 3:50pm