What is this?

A way to share tiny moments, ideas, stories; things you see, feel, overhear, realize, think ...
Write fast. Post from your smartphone. Add a photograph. Some options:

Tell (show) us what just happened.
Write a story using only 500 characters.
Write a six-word story.
Share a weird thought.
Or a moment that amused.

Go for it!

A tiny moment, story

A question for anyone who (like me) has been pondering the deeper meanings of the universe whilst in quarantine: does life imitate art, or does art imitate life?
my personal opinion is that art imitates life, but i suppose they do kinda imitate each other because in a way our own lives imitate each other so your life could imitate someone else's life who lived years ago after they made it into art. idk what im even saying anymore but interesting question
06/29/2020 - 5:06pm
life affects art, but after the art exists, it affects life...?
06/30/2020 - 9:48am
plus when the art is being created it impacts that person's life, so in general they impact one another? but the question of what imitates what feels like a totally different issue. this is already so confusing and we haven't even gotten into the butterfly effect haha
06/30/2020 - 1:45pm
Oh word count, why!? why must you be sooo short, and come too soon I have way more to say!
I know right, it can be so frustrating
06/30/2020 - 10:50am
I wonder how much space all the writing on YWP would take up if it was all printed out.
Show all 4 comments
Yeah...
06/29/2020 - 10:36am
…*wonders about this for a good week* also I wonder how many miles Ive scrolled on YWP looking at all the writing
06/29/2020 - 1:59pm
a grossly inaccurate estimate:

i tried to do out the math but I probably wildly messed it up xD
my conclusion is that printed out and stacked it would be 38.6 feet tall. and layed out it would take up 1.3 ish football fields- I tried to vary the page counts and use an average number of page for every writing section but this is still painfully inaccurate- oops- well I tried xD
06/29/2020 - 5:00pm
that... is epic.
06/30/2020 - 5:04pm
me and my sister are convincing are parents to let us have goats (it's kind of working) any name suggestions?
Show all 4 comments
Hey, cool! I hope you manage to convince them. I'd say name them after some of your favorite characters.
06/28/2020 - 8:54pm
Oh yes, thats such a good idea!
06/29/2020 - 10:36am
Omg, I LOVE GOATS!! I told my parents we should get a baby goat as a friend for my dog. They said no....
06/29/2020 - 4:34pm
No...good idea though!
06/30/2020 - 10:52am
I am making maple Ice Cream!!! I am excited to see if it works better than when we tried to make it last time!
Show all 4 comments
Yum!
06/28/2020 - 3:30pm
Funny how I never heard of maple ice cream until I came to ywp XD sounds delicious tho!
06/28/2020 - 3:35pm
What? Really? That's so amazing/crazy
06/28/2020 - 7:22pm
maple is my favorite flavor!!
06/30/2020 - 9:49am
Were making homemade pretzels and strawberry ice cream today! I'm so proud
Show all 5 comments
yuummmm. Any other good recipes send my way :)
06/28/2020 - 3:35pm
Yes,
06/28/2020 - 7:22pm
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/140877/easy-eggless-strawberry-ice-cream/ here's a recipe for strawberry ice cream I used with our ice cream ball
06/28/2020 - 7:24pm
oohhh Thank you!!
06/29/2020 - 2:01pm
Np!!! I hope you enjoy!
06/30/2020 - 10:52am
I hate when a story ideas hits me during an unfortunate time. When I’m busy and/or don’t have paper/pencil or computer nearby! Uhhhhggg.
That's so annoying, sadly I can relate
06/27/2020 - 1:18pm
yeah, ik! like right before i drift off to sleep & am too lazy to fully wake myself up again to write an idea down, then my morning it's gone!
06/29/2020 - 2:25am
I went to the eye doctor and I got a new prescription, new glasses frames, and new contacts. They also dilated my eyes and now my pupils are HUGE and everything is blurry.
Show all 4 comments
Kind of a weird question, but are contacts hard to deal with? I’ve been thinking about getting them but I have an irrational fear of contacts.
06/26/2020 - 12:57pm
They take some getting used to but the people at the eye doctor are always really helpful and after a while putting them in and taking them out becomes second nature.
06/26/2020 - 2:31pm
Omg this happened to me and it gave me a headache when I was in the sun. Not fun.
06/27/2020 - 1:19pm
Yeah, dilated pupils are so annoying.
06/27/2020 - 1:24pm
I have for a while wanted to be one of those people who drinks coffee so I’m finally trying to do something about it. So if you drink coffee will you please give me some recommendations on good coffees or stuff to try?? I need help! :)
Show all 5 comments
Starbucks has good frappuccinos, which are pretty much chocolate coffee milkshakes. Very sweet, good for the non coffee drinker!
06/26/2020 - 12:33pm
Yay thank you!
06/26/2020 - 10:27pm
Oooooooo lattes are really good!
06/27/2020 - 1:20pm
iced. caramel. mocas. nothing left to say.
06/27/2020 - 10:13pm
Starbucks is my go to place, but I will drink any kind of coffee.
06/28/2020 - 12:24pm
Irises mean purple
Peering out of city streets with green gardens,
Lifting their heads to bob up and down
Like the swings that fly
In summertime.
Best thing that happened to you today:
Show all 5 comments
Chocolate. Chocolate happened to me today.
06/25/2020 - 3:46pm
Went on a walk w/ my dad and a damsel fly as well as a dragon fly stood still and modeled for me to take a photo (:
06/25/2020 - 7:11pm
mint chocolate chip ice cream :)
06/25/2020 - 10:29pm
I got straight A/A+ on my end of the year report card!!!
06/25/2020 - 11:12pm
We made strawberry ice cream
06/27/2020 - 1:21pm
(yay I survived getting my wisdom teeth out:)
My relative has become the chipmunk.
My cheeks are just as round.
My wisdom is depleted,
And I've found a blanket mound.
Oof sorry you had to go through that :(
06/25/2020 - 12:27am
We haven't done this in a while, so here's some questions :)

1. How's life?
2. Any summer plans? Classes, chilling, trips, etc?
3. What do you think of laxing the quarantine restrictions? Good or bad idea?
4. Favorite craft, recipe, poem, story, etc. you're most proud of in the last month
5. object(s) you could not withstand quarantine without
6. opinion on summer
7. what do mirrors represent for you?

also, totally random side note: watch avatar: the last airbender- you won't regret it :)
Show all 5 comments
1. Okay. I kind of have a headache and am a little bored, but I’m hanging in there.
2. Unfortunately no because of COVID we have exactly zero plans.
3. I’m not sure, because I don’t read news so I don’t know what’s going on with the virus. If it’s cooling down I’d say it’s a good idea, but if not it’s probably a bad one.
4. I’ve been sewing a lot, and I’ve made a couple dresses that I’m pretty proud of.
5. Tv, pool, sister (she would get mad for calling her an object, ha)
6. The best season ever. I love it so much. Except for when my skin gets really dry.
7. Vanity, but also just normalcy and fun.
06/24/2020 - 4:39pm
1. Pretty good, actually. I'm only a few weeks into summer break, so I haven't gotten too bored yet.
2. I'm attending a virtual writing conference and a digital music recording/mixing camp, and hopefully getting my driver's license too.
3. I haven't been paying much attention to the news either, so I can't have much of an opinion. It's about balance - relaxing as much as we safely can.
4. I haven't made much in the past month, honestly - art, writing, music. I finally finished this poem, which existed as a chaotic mess on a google doc for a while, so I guess that's good. https://youngwritersproject.org/node/35261
5. My laptop, iPod, ukulele, and art supplies.
6. It seems great in theory, though I don't enjoy when it's really hot and buggy. Every season has it's merits.
7. Interesting question. It really depends on the context - introspection, insecurity, vanity, and on a totally different note, alternate worlds/dimensions.
06/24/2020 - 5:28pm
1. Quarantine life is pretty alright just a bit bored
2. a few 6-foot art camps, some 6-foot hangouts with my friends, various photo locations
3. Jeez- slow down! I'm worried reopening too rapidly will just cause a new wave moral of the story= don't do anything stupid.
4. I've been doing some embroidery- I'm pretty happy with it.
5. Laptop, camera, communication (Object?), Icebreaker Mints, and various 'art' materials
6. Nasty. It's hot and all the bugs are out and I haven't got much to do, so i'm bored and it's just overall a nasty time- except the beach/water/boats that removes all the nastiness so I guess swimming is the good part.
7. honestly not much. It's a mirror...it does mirror-y things. But I guess it could be a cool photo prop- ah and now you've got me thinking (:
Not gonna lie I've already binged it with my brother- no regrets.
06/24/2020 - 7:10pm
1. Bored but otherwise fine
2. I have a virtual basketball camp that I'm excited for and my birthday
3. I want it to be a good idea because I miss my people but I think it needs to slow down.
4. Oh gosh, I've been making some virtual art and I finally got involved with TikTok so I'm "trendy" now XD
5. laptop/phone, fun drinks, friends, music, basketball, piano
6. I love it! I mean sometimes it can be too hot but I love it and it ends with my birthday!
7. Ummm I mean I like trying out new outfits or makeup and like looking at them in the mirror. They're very helpful. :) If I had to pick a word, I would say like power?
06/24/2020 - 9:30pm
1. At least I'm alive
2. Music class in july and a college course coming up. as well as much sleeping
3. Good idea until people make it a bad idea
4. made an epic angel food cake to celebrate the end of the year. it was AmAziNg
5. my computer, ywp, and overdrive- where I get free books from
6. To hot. Very to hot. So to very hot. But great beach days :)
7. reflection. In either a pleasant or (usually incorrect) judgmental way.
06/24/2020 - 11:30pm
Anyone else having some friendship troubles lately? It’s crazy how not being able to see someone in person can make things more complicated. I mean I thought we were best friends. We’ve been through so much together. Over quarantine we had a pretty constant text stream.. then she read and didn’t respond to any of my texts for 1 week. Suddenly starts texting again without an explanation. Later she ghosts me for 3 weeks. My emotions are all over the place!!!!
Show all 4 comments
ugh, I'm so sorry :( I've had that happen to me several times and it freaking sucks. It's possible that your friend has some family stuff or something else going on that might occupy her time or she might have genuinely forgotten to answer her texts. What I would do is if you feel like she's moving away, just text her and be like "hey to be honest like I feel like our friendship is kinda changing and I just want to know where your head is at because it would be helpful to know if you don't want to be friends anymore. I just feel like we haven't been talking and I just wanted to check in. " that sorta thing has worked well for me in the past. And if she's like oh I'm so sorry I want to be best friends and she continually ghosts you, then I hate to say it, but you gotta move on. If she's not gonna treat you right, find someone who will. (Note: this doesn't mean you have to stop being friends with her or ignore her, just be open to the possibility of letting other people into your life who are more respectful of your friendship) Hope this helps!
06/24/2020 - 10:44pm
:( im sorry too. I agree with LadyMidnight and I think she phrased the question that you could ask really well. Maybe your friend wants a break from her phone (I do this way to often) or did forget, or has other things on their plate,. Defiantly text or even call to just ask whats going on, and don't go by what that friend says, more so how they say it. As LadyM said its ok to stray apart for a while and give some space and let others into your life too. Your friend might not even know whats up either, and then you guys can just talk about it. *gives hug*
06/24/2020 - 11:19pm
Thanks guys!
06/25/2020 - 12:10pm
I don't think I can give better advice than LadyMidnight and Treblemaker, but I'm sorry, that is awful. Virtual hug!!
06/26/2020 - 3:10pm
It rained this morning, and washed away almost all the sidewalk chalk I'd done last week. But a rainbow stripe design stayed, and it looked more like a real rainbow than it had before, the colors blurring and fading into each other, resilient after the rain.
Is anyone else just having terrible insomnia? I've been sleeping so poorly and its semi-upsetting. :(
Sorry :( I recommend white noise and maybe switching up where you’re sleeping? Sometimes that helps me. Hope you sleep well tonight :)
06/23/2020 - 8:36pm
yes. yes. defiantly yes. Getting to bed has become so difficult and extremely late, but then I sleep for 11 hours, and wake up tiReD and I don't get it.
Maybe try to go to bed and wake up around the same hour each morning so your body can fall back into a routine (I haven't tried this yet but I feel like it would work). Also I love me my air conditioner so its not so hot when you go to bed. Hope you sleep well tonight too!
06/24/2020 - 11:22pm
woah it's been like two months since i was last here. feels like everytime i sit down to write something i instantly get distracted. for example, last night at like 1 am (the only time i seem to be able to write these days) i had to spend an hour and a half killing the tiniest little bugs that decided to have a party on my ceiling and walls. hopefully i manage to find more than thirty seconds to write soon haha :)
A friend since 1st grade, a friend for life. Or so I thought....
6 word story anyone? I’ll start
You might be wondering how I...
Show all 10 comments
I hiked to the path by...
06/27/2020 - 1:24pm
the babbling brook. Without further ado...
06/27/2020 - 7:43pm
I want to love summer, I really do. I want to lay on a beach and not get a tan, I want to swim in the ocean, I want to take cute summer photos. But in reality, that's not what summer is. Summer is getting burned, getting sand everywhere, and sweating a lot. Summer is lazy and boring and hot. Summer is not perfect. If you like summer, no hate! I personally do not like summer, mostly because I want it to be like a social media post, perfect and aesthetic, but it's not.
A few things:
1: I FEEL you. Summer is sweaty and can be really boring, I agree. Bug bites and bees and burns are some of the bad things about summer.
2: However, I love summer because the bad things somehow make the good things even better. Like when you get really hot but get to cool down. This might be because I have a small pool that’s really fun, but it’s still true with fans and hoses. Also, I honestly kind of like getting tans :)
3: Also, summer always seems a lot better from the other side of the year when you’re stuck inside when the cold wind is blowing.
06/22/2020 - 7:31pm