What is this?

A place for the YWP community to share tiny moments, ideas, stories, thoughts, questions, reflections, discoveries ...

Art by Ice Blink; Banner by laurenm

A tiny moment, story

i got to sit out on my roof for hours yesterday and watch the sunset, and it just made me appreciate spring and warm weather!
Ooh, that sounds amazing!! I love spring too; the weather is awesome, and I love all the bright colors in nature (and, plus, my birthday's in spring)!
04/06/2021 - 5:54pm
That’s so beautiful!!
04/06/2021 - 9:39pm
lately i’ve been so happy because i finally found music i like and compiled it into one big playlist. it’s very satisfying.
ooh! you should add Dreams by Fleetwood Mac. It's very good:)
04/06/2021 - 4:39pm
it doesn’t feel fair to me that everyone in my friends sixth grade class read pride and prejudice and are now doing the school play on it and i only got to do one play on wizard of oz. I WISH I COULD DO PRIDE AND PREJUDICE FOR THE SCHOOL PLAY!!!!
Wait, what?! That is so cool!!!! I wish my sixth grade class was that advanced, I would LOVE to do Pride and Prejudice as a play! Your friend’s class sounds awesome!
04/06/2021 - 7:31pm
currently, i am a overflowing, boiling pot of emotion. help
Show all 7 comments
Oh yep same here. do some yoga or just chillax for a bit and when in doubt write it out
04/05/2021 - 11:51pm
thx!
04/06/2021 - 8:51am
sending hugs your way, hope things get calmer. agreed that yoga and writing and chilling are awesome! going outside can be helpful too sometimes.
04/06/2021 - 11:35am
you are not alone i promise :) sending good vibes
04/06/2021 - 1:09pm
thank you all!!
04/06/2021 - 2:06pm
hi, so,
i’ve been feeling really similar lately. i guess all the stress is getting to us. so yes, you’re not alone. important to remember. i’ve found it helpful to do something cozy, just for you, at some point. also, i’d recommend this: https://m.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene for stress relief. and also just because, I love yoga. i promise you will get through this. sending a hug from me :)
04/06/2021 - 2:51pm
Thank you!
04/06/2021 - 9:41pm
Please take the time to watch this if you haven’t yet! It's a really good environmental documentary that discusses the issues behind commercialized fishing, and was super enlightening for my family and I. It is quite gruesome and some clips are so gut wrenching I had to cover my eyes. Take an hour or so to educate yourself and spread the word, let's do our part :)

https://www.netflix.com/title/81014008
thank you!! this is very important!
04/05/2021 - 8:44am
Yes! I just started watching it yesterday, and it's really good, but sad at the same time. I never knew a lot of the things they went into, and I highly recommend it to anyone!
04/06/2021 - 2:47pm
ooh okay SDJ time again
-sitting here & the sun is filtering through the window:))
-listened to deja vu by olivia rodrigo
-obsessed over her upcoming album
-obsessing over olivia has become a full time job shsgfdjg
-wearing masks for 7 hours a day is infuriating
-listened to taylor swift
-wrote again!
-can u tell i'm a swiftie aha
-listened to deja vu, again
-oh f it i'll be listening to it for the rest of my life
Show all 5 comments
i listened to deja video too! it was so poetic! i also looove taylor swift. music has really helped over covid-19.
04/03/2021 - 8:47pm
Deja vu is good! She and Taylor Swift write such amazing lyrics, it's like listening to poetry.
04/04/2021 - 9:29pm
i'm not a major pop fan, but i love Olivia and Taylor
04/05/2021 - 9:23am
CRYINGGGG WE"RE SO ALIKE HI YALL!! deja vu is amaaazing and it has so many cruel summer parallels..she really is taylor's daughter! SWIFTIES AND RODRIGHOES UNITEEE
04/05/2021 - 5:27pm
AAAAAHHH I LOVE THEM BOTH TOO especially deja vu.... i love their relationship and i would love to see them meet and talk... me definitely fangirling right now... i can’t wait for her new album!!
04/06/2021 - 7:35am
I’m interviewing three local Vermont poets this coming week for a school project. I was just wondering if anyone had any questions about poetry that might be worth asking them? I already have some questions prepared but I would love to hear any others that people could maybe think of. Also as my final product for this school project I’m hoping to hold a writing seminar if the poets I interview agree to help host it. If they do all YWP users will surly be invited.
Show all 4 comments
Oh! I hope they agree. I would LOVE to participate. I understand if it would only be for Vermonters though.
04/02/2021 - 6:09pm
Cool! Yes I'd be down with participating too :P heres the ones I thought of with Line Break in mind :)
whats your favorite/least favorite style to write in? favorite place to write? where do you get inspiration from? how would you describe your writing style? Least favorite thing about writing? what is a word of advice you'd give to an aspiring poet?
04/02/2021 - 11:37pm
Such an awesome school project! Would totally love to come to the writing seminar if it happens, keep us posted :) for questions: Why did you start writing? How do you feel your style has evolved over time? What do you hope your writing does for your audience? Do you write for yourself, or others?
04/03/2021 - 9:15pm
Thanks for the questions everyone, they were very helpful! Also the seminar will be open to all, no matter your state. I will keep you all posted on the date.
04/06/2021 - 8:25am
I want to write my own memories, and in doing so, make them real, readable.
I feel this.
04/02/2021 - 3:40pm
In many ways, humanity is like tea. It’s defined by both the process of distillation and needless complication.
HA! And humanity can be sweet or bitter or just watery and come from all different cups of life. Huh, this might be the quote of the week for me. XD
04/02/2021 - 11:27pm
I've been trying to turn over what this means if I don't like tea. I'm definitely overthinking it, but this is such a cool simile.
04/03/2021 - 9:16pm
anyone on spring break???
Show all 5 comments
i had mine last week!
04/02/2021 - 11:46am
We're having a four day weekend from Good Friday to Easter Monday and then spring break in two weeks. Hopefully it will have stopped snowing by then xD
04/02/2021 - 12:28pm
We had spring break this week and go back to school this monday. So funny how spring break is so sporadic this year
04/02/2021 - 11:28pm
Yes! I am!
04/03/2021 - 12:15pm
Yes, we travelled from North Virginia to Seagrove Florida for a week!
04/05/2021 - 10:09am
does anyone here ever do something, regret it instantly, and then wish you had a time machine to take it all back? i think we all have; what was yours?
So many times! I’ve done that so much I don’t think I could even name one time XD Like the feeling that your whole week could be completely different if you hadn’t just said those two words... Sometimes I’ll dwell on it for so long I hate it
04/01/2021 - 4:57pm
yup. its honestly the small things I say/do that I want to take back, like a two minuet time machine is all i need
04/02/2021 - 11:29pm
omggggg yessss ahahah
04/03/2021 - 4:43pm
Random question: Does anyone get secondhand embarrassment?

I do, a lot. Even during movies XD
Show all 7 comments
All. The. Time. I can't handle it. I'll usually just skip embarrassing scenes.
03/30/2021 - 3:25pm
lol I always turn the volume down when something embarrassing happens in a show so I don't have to hear how awkward it is
03/30/2021 - 3:51pm
That happens to me alll the time. I literally walk out of my room because I can't watch lol
03/30/2021 - 5:25pm
All the time lol, I have to look away when an embarrassing scene happens.
03/30/2021 - 7:21pm
Yep. I die during a lot of rom coms. My mom laughs at me hiding in the pillows more than the actual show.
03/31/2021 - 3:00am
yes. @amaryllis same
03/31/2021 - 6:31pm
I have a similar problem...when it is picture day in movies shows I always smile when the camera flashes. Haha it's weird.
04/05/2021 - 4:52pm
i have the worst writer's block in the history of writer's block. anyone have any tips on how to cure this virus?
Show all 4 comments
I'm going through the same thing. In other words: I can not help you, only relate to you. Sorry.
03/30/2021 - 12:34pm
write about how you don't know what to right. Or, go to Pinterest/ywp and look up a bunch of writing prompts. Or, don't write for a few weeks. Sometimes I think not writing for a bit makes you come back to it with new inspiration (honestly found this pretty helpful). I've done all three of these and they all work at some point XD good luck XD
03/30/2021 - 9:07pm
Personally, I know I'm a writer who will only actually write when I make myself write. I think something you might try is setting up a zoom with a writer friend and saying, "ok, we're going to write for 10 minutes" and free writing (if you don't have any close writing friends im sure i along with anyone on ywp would be down). Just something about another person being there forces me to write (utilizing peer pressure ig).

Oh, and reading the stuff you want to write. Reading is like writer water. Hope this helps, and good luck! :)
03/31/2021 - 3:08am
thank you all
03/31/2021 - 10:30am
school didn't start until 10 today and I still managed to be late ... oh well
I can relate SO well to this. I'm even late for zoom school and its literally twenty seconds away XD
03/31/2021 - 12:46am
Questionnaire kinda:

1. How's school going? Like honestly, how do you feel? Do some healthy bragging about your grades or maybe its something you're trying to work on, or are you playing any sports, do you have a favorite teacher or a special bond with a friend? Literally anything I just want to hear about everyone's lives a little :)
Show all 6 comments
Well now that you ask....
Last year I had fake friends who I didn’t like. This year I have two amazing best friends who make me laugh every single day. I’ve never had such a good experience with school than I’m having this year. I look forward to it every day :)
Thanks for asking LadyMidnight. How’s it going for you?
03/29/2021 - 6:52am
xD It's going... We have a project on the Book Timeline and I'm going to build a model of a medieval great hall. I usually don't like world studies, history, social studies, US History, or any of it but I do enjoy a project. (: Plus my teacher is really nice.
03/29/2021 - 6:14pm
Initial reaction: terribly. Just failed another math test and I'm just really disappointed in myself. *sigh* Other than that, not quite as terrible as math, but not good I suppose. The only thing that's good is surprisingly Spanish... I just feel like other than her I know none of my other teachers and school year's almost over, so it's just weird. + going to in person next month and none of my friends are going but I'm kind of desperate to feel good about school again so fingers crossed going back is the change I need. This was depressing, so on the bright side, I checked out 5 books Saturday and finished half, so reading again is making up for everything else.
03/29/2021 - 7:22pm
School has been interesting. I've been really busy because my Holocaust Education Mandate In Vermont petition. It is really taking flight. Last week I got interveiwed by someone working with the Addison Independent Newspaper. Besides that my Science teacher's teaching makes me fall asleep and I NEVER fall asleep during class. Somedays when we have breaks outside I sit by myself and look at the veiw behind our school. Depending on the day sitting alone can either be depressing or relaxing. I'm just glad I have one really great friend I hang out with during school. Thanks for asking! How is school going for you @LadyMidnight?

@ninaestrella that sounds amazing! I'm so happy for you.
03/30/2021 - 12:32pm
Reading does make everything better @amaryllis!! And since you two asked @Whitney and @NinaEstrella, school is good on paper (meaning I have great grades and am doing extracurriculars, sports etc) but I do very much miss my old school and old friends and just don't love everyone at my new school. Actually had a rough basketball game tonight, but what's done is down and looking forward to improving my game! Also my English teacher is amazing and my math teacher is nice but I can never tell if shes mad at me or not for various reasons XD
03/30/2021 - 9:25pm
school is ick and chill at the same time. I do not appreciate my language teacher this year because his homework is so difficult for no apparent reason. Liking math because we have a great substitute who teachers well. Also love biology because our teacher just talks about random science things for half an hour and then fights with the smartboard the rest of class. Sports are starting up in a few weeks (fiNaLlY) so I'm very excited for that to start. Also more people from my class are coming back which is both nice and annoying at the same time. I've bonded more with the inschool peeps and don't really want the dynamic to change, but it is what it is and we'll see what happens.
thanks @LM i really needed this today, we should totoally do this more often XD
04/02/2021 - 11:35pm
i try to write
i fail to write
i try to do something creative
i fail to do something creative
i try to stay off my phone
i end up rereading harry potter and watching avengers cast family feud
1. Song your obsessed with
2. Favorite quote
3. Favorite book heroine
4. Place you want to visit
5. Favorite memory
Show all 9 comments
1. idk- maybe Love Story???
2. something along the lines of “kindness is a language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.”
3. Hermione Granger i think, but i can name a fair few.
4. Greece
5. anything with family and friends. There was a day out in the city with my suburban cousin and it was one of the best days ever!!
03/28/2021 - 9:46pm
1. We'll Be Fine, Headstones and Land Mines, Honest Man; the list goes on.
2. "Purell Fixes Everything!" - a kid in my class two years before the pandemic
3. Eve from Eve: The Awakening
4. Maine
5. Some random day in 7th grade (:
03/28/2021 - 11:12pm
1. STORY by NF because it just came out and it is insane (listen to it pls!!!)
2. "don't blame gravity for falling in love."
3. hm...maybe Tris or Sophie Foster
4. Hawaii
5. um... i pulled an all-nighter last night (don't tell my parents!) and it was fun watching stupid youtube videos until 5 am XD
03/29/2021 - 10:35am
1. The Bandit by Kings of Leon
2. "it isn't what we say or think that defines us, but what we do." - Jane Austen
3. Elizabeth Bennet, Charmain Baker, or Sophie from Howl's moving castle
4. Scandinavia
5. days @ summer camp
03/29/2021 - 11:33am
1) Dog on Wheels - Belle and Sebastian
2) I have lots, but right now, "We grow big in proportion to what we love" - Kierkegaard
3) I do love Hermione
4) Istanbul (actually the whole black sea region of turkey)
5) Biking around Copenhagen:)

03/29/2021 - 12:27pm
1. I can make your hands clap
2. 'Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars' idk from who
3. Thalia
4. literally every continent - like an around the world visit
5.Erm, most recent is making videos with my sis
03/29/2021 - 3:54pm
1. Hm... right now it's "Kiss Me". IDK how I got it in my head this week, but it's just so wholesome compared to a lot of love songs nowadays and I love how it sounds so right?
2. i think i saw this somewhere, but "we can surprise ourselves" or "people change people"
3. GAH. Cath in Fangirl maybe? Or Kit in The WItch of Blackbird Pond. AH OR Sarah Louise in Jacob have I Loved.
4. The mountains depicted in the Chinese ink paintings that I do not know the name of
5. Hm... there's one where I'm just walking down the halls from Math to Chem last year and I've just finished a really good part in my book and am smiling like a fool and so happy with just life and all my peers in the halls and everything.
03/29/2021 - 7:39pm
1. deja vu by olivia rodrigo, SUCH a banger
2. "false." dwight from the office lolol
3. oooh um cath in fangirl
4. everywhere
5. zeno mountain farm mems:)
04/03/2021 - 4:47pm
1. Cupids Chokehold by Gym Class Heroes
2. “OK, no hard feelings, but I hate you. Not joking. Bye.” — Gina Linetti (:
3. Hmmmmm... Probably Teresa from Maze Runner
4. Chile for sure
5. Math classes on the stairs with my friends!
04/05/2021 - 1:44pm
SDJ 3/28/21
-my aunt's sister tested positive
-i've been in close contact with my aunt recently
-my aunt and uncle got tested
-the tests were negative
-COVID is scary
Show all 5 comments
Yeah. Sending good thoughts. Has anyone else wished they could battle covid to death in a sword fight or just me??
03/28/2021 - 11:50am
not at all just you
03/29/2021 - 10:35am
Yup me too. Sending support your way
03/29/2021 - 3:55pm
Oh my gosh, that's terrifying. I somewhat agree with the sword fight... if only because I know I'd lose. I do get the wanting it to be more tangible. The fact that it's just lurking *waves at air* out there not wearing huge red signs and sirens scares me. Sending you the best thoughts though :)
03/29/2021 - 7:24pm
Oof that's scary, hope things are going well!!
03/30/2021 - 5:27pm
I was trying to figure out the past tense of 'over-thinking' and came up with 'over-thanking' and so clearly I was
'over-thoughting' everything.
haha!! i think it is just “i was overthinking.”
03/28/2021 - 9:47pm
XD yup that makes more sense
03/29/2021 - 3:55pm
I just use overthunk haha, but Roses' sounds reasonable too.
03/29/2021 - 7:27pm
The amount of piles of old New York Times Newspapers in this house....