What is this?

A place for the YWP community to share tiny moments, ideas, stories, thoughts, questions, reflections, discoveries ...

Art by Ice Blink; Banner by laurenm

A tiny moment, story

okay I'm actually super curious about this: do many of you come from artistic families? or are you the only one who writes/makes art/reads a ton in your family (at least your immediate family)?
Show all 8 comments
Umm...it depends on what you call artistic...my dad writes music and is in a band (I consider that artistic) and my mom's a chef; she has a bakery. She also loves poetry and used to write it, but she doesn't really now. They both love reading. I think I'm the only one in my family who sees writing as a real career that I want to explore.
07/29/2021 - 11:01am
My parents are both scientists, but my dad has always loved building things and my mom has always been a ballet dancer. So I think at first glance we don't look like an artistic family but if you look a little deeper we're all artistic in different ways. My sister is a writer and a potter and my brother is a film maker, we all have our 'thing' xD oh and all of us play/played instruments. Dad: Guitar, Mom: Cello/Piano, Sister: Tenor Sax, Brother: Flute/Bass guitar, Me: Clarinet/Tenor Sax/Drums.
07/29/2021 - 11:29am
not a lot of writing on my side (at least i think), but my maternal grandparents are really into it. my grandfather still works for the english newspaper and my grandmother teaches english to high-school students. the only person i talk to about poetry these days is with my grandmother, who gives me great tips on writing and i love love love when we analyse poems together :)
07/29/2021 - 2:08pm
I don't believe true talent is hereditary, though some factors may be inherited that could possibly lend a hand in an area.
My aunt is certainly what many would label "artistic." She enjoys art, attended a fine arts university, used to work in the fashion industry, for a while owned a pottery shop, and is now studying Chinese calligraphy. My grandmother (aunt's mother) is sort of artistic, but she doesn't delve much into the field.
While my mother is creative and has a good artist's eye, she's a mathematician. Personally, I think my father's artistic ability is good, but he cares not for art and also deals with STEM.
I enjoy art most prominently out of my siblings.

I think I am lucky to have a natural affinity with art, but talent can't take you far. It's important to understand you have a long road ahead, a towering mountain to climb.
07/29/2021 - 2:26pm
@The Lone Cat that's such a good point. also side note: your aunt sounds really cool; she's lived such an interesting life! it's so awesome to hear about everyone too! all of your families are rly cool.

personally, my mom's a journalist but a sf/fantasy writer too (she was a finalist for the nebula award this year and idk if any of you know what that is but I'm so proud) and my dad is a computer science professor but is creative/artistic as well, like he's always been an inventor which is neat. my sister is constantly drawing (and she writes beautifully too) but has a super logical mind too and she combines computers/math with art. idk. creativity exists in everyone I think; it's only a matter of if you see it in yourself or not.
07/29/2021 - 2:47pm
No one in my family is very artistic except for my sister and I. She loves drawing and fashion while I love reading and writing. My parents appreciate art but they're not good at it lol. Also, in their culture, art was kind of trivial and privileged. They were encouraged to take practical careers that would make money. Maybe more of my family would be artistic if it wasn't for this mindset.
07/29/2021 - 2:52pm
No one in my family is super artistic. My oldest sister used to be into music and drawing. My mom loves music however I’m the only writer and big reader in the family.
07/29/2021 - 4:08pm
I’d say my family is pretty artistic, my mom & dad run a lighting/sound/production company. My brother, my mom and I all love to read, my brother used to do a lot of visual art, and my mom used to be a modern dancer. We all play or used to play instruments; dad -guitar/cello, mom-piano, brother-guitar/percussion/sings a little, me-piano/tenor saxophone/sings a little. I’m the only one who seems to be interested in visual art seriously, and the only one who likes to write. I do have a lot of indirect ancestors who used to be pretty well known artists for photography/painting and a lot of architects though.
07/29/2021 - 7:20pm
So I'm stuck on what to write for my next poem-anyone have any idea's?-I was thinking I'd pick from something like drama, fantasy, love, non fiction, fiction, etc. Can anyone help me decide? lol
huh ... that's tough! maybe instead of a theme you could write about a thing (which would then bring about its own theme, like maybe a cup of coffee makes you really happy so it would be a happy poem). lol write about tomatoes - do you hate them or love them or feel meh about them? and which kind of tomatoes? idk stuff like that can bring about a lot of ideas (sorry this is so long!)
07/28/2021 - 6:12pm
Wow that's a great idea! Thank you so much!!
07/29/2021 - 2:02pm
my cousin sent me this poem, and it's really good and it just flows as you read it: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/58152/im-not-a-rel...
This is brilliant!
07/30/2021 - 1:03pm
poetry is prehistoric rap, and rap is modern(ish) poetry.

Personally I think they can intertwine quite easily
imma just leave this here for people to mull over...
Show all 5 comments
Total agreement.
07/28/2021 - 1:01am
yeah definitely. rap is poetry set to music
07/28/2021 - 10:14am
Rap is poetry electrified. It is the spoils and pride and pain of everyday life popping out of someone's mouth like pistols. Poetry without the pretense. Spoken word spitting into a microphone. With a great beat to match.
07/28/2021 - 12:36pm
Definitely agree!
07/28/2021 - 6:04pm
oooh @Geri thats a great way to put it.
07/28/2021 - 8:29pm
Okay, this is controversial, but I think the USA should be requiring vaccines (only giving accommodations for a disability, and not religion). There is a point when freedom becomes unproductive and pernicious. Any thoughts? In my opinion, it is absolutely ridiculous that only fifty percent of Americans have been vaccinated. Sorry, I am feeling really angry about this right now. I had to rant.
Show all 12 comments
The Lone Cat, thank you for your helpful and insightful comments, i really appreciate the time you took to find this information and write it down. personally i don’t know enough about the vaccine to say if the US should require it, but i agree with yellow sweater that it is definitely ridiculous only 50% is vaccinated. i do have complete faith in the vaccine though and i’m very happy everyone that i know is getting it. these are just my thoughts and i completely respect everyone’s opinion.
07/29/2021 - 4:57pm
@LoneCat I get where you are coming from but that does not change my opinion on the vaccines.
Usually, I don't like sharing my opinion of this kind of stuff because it is such a touchy subject for people and they try to change your opinion to their own opinion.
Also @Whitney you totally get where I am coming from!

07/29/2021 - 5:48pm
I want to write like Anne Carson: poetry than is more than poetry, stories that are not stories, a rod-straight tree branch wildly sprouting leaves.
what are your favorite kinds of writing challenges/prompts? and also your favorite art prompts?
I love writing prompts that are very abstract. Just an interesting phrase that you let inspire something.
07/27/2021 - 11:45am
I like prompts that let me use my imagination. Like ones about fantasy, or different destinations and ideas
07/27/2021 - 12:26pm
I like the prompts that include a word or even better a sentence that you have to incorporate into your writing in some way! Also like Geri K said the imagination element is always good. Don't have any good art prompts tho.
07/27/2021 - 8:29pm
what's the best feeling you get on ywp? for me its when i go to recent posts and see more than 5 people online ^
Show all 10 comments
You click on the white box with a plus sign on the page of your post. When using a computer it should be to the right and when using a phone it should be towards the bottom.
07/29/2021 - 4:17pm
thank you so much!!!
07/29/2021 - 5:52pm
Anyone know how to change profile picture? I don't know how to
if you go to your blog and click on the tab that says "edit" (at the top of the page) then you should be able to change your profile picture
07/26/2021 - 12:22pm
Ohh okay thank you so much!!
07/26/2021 - 9:24pm
Does anyone know how to change your username? I couldn't seem to figure it out
Show all 4 comments
Unfortunately I don’t think you can unless you create a whole new account- I’ve tried several times over the past few years but I’m pretty sure once you create the initial form or whatever, that is your permanent username. Sorry! If you really would like to change it, you could try contacting Reid to see if she nows how or if their is a way she could help?
07/26/2021 - 9:59am
i changed mine a while back - just contact Reid through messages and she’ll doing it for you! yay Reid!
07/26/2021 - 2:09pm
Ok, thanks for the info :)
07/27/2021 - 12:22pm
Hi Geri K., yes just let me know what your new name is and I'll fix it for you!
07/27/2021 - 3:30pm
HI! I'm writing my first novel (yay!). I would like some writing advice to get me through the writing. Anything would help. Thank you!
Show all 5 comments
Ooh, awesome! How much have you figured out, and do you have any specific questions?
As for general advice, this is what I came up with:
1. Write one-sentence and one-paragraph summaries of your story. I did not do this for my most recent book, and I really wish I had - it would have saved me a ton of mess, effort, and confusion.
2. Consider whether you want to let yourself write chapters out of order. For me, it's nice to be able to jump to working on a different section if I'm feeling stuck, but it can also cause the plot to be a bit disjointed.
3. When you're writing the first draft, focus on producing words, not producing good words. You can make them good later.
4. Keep a list of random cool stuff you see around you that you could include in your novel. This is particularly great for fantasy/sci-fi/similar stuff, but it can work for anything. Anything from little bits of culture to plot ideas to character traits is great.
5. Focus on your character's goal, motives, and fears. Boiling the main drive of the plot down to that can make things easier for you.
6. Don't delete entire scenes, or even large blocks of writing - put them on another document to save
for later. You never know when you might be able to use them.
7. Write a scene from the perspective of each of your main characters, even if you aren't gonna use it, and even if it's not a canon part of the story. This really helps me get to know them all better.
8. Find how your characters positive traits can be negative, and vice versa. A generous character might be a doormat, etc.
9. I know everyone says this, but reading really is a great way to get better at writing, so find some good books in the genre you're writing and dig into them.
10. Don't give up, it's a lot of hard work but it's totally worth it!
07/25/2021 - 9:42pm
I'm about halfway through the second draft. I think my biggest problem is how to write a conveying character arc that goes smoothly. I've watched videos on how to properly do it, but I'm still having a hard time on it. Are there any tips and tricks on how to do a believable character arc?
07/26/2021 - 9:52am
Oooh, yay!! I'm also writing a book right now, but I'm not nearly that far...as for character arcs—they're hard, I agree. For me, the most helpful thing to do is to list certain scenes that show changes in the character. Also, I don't think of the character as a character. Instead, I think of them as a real human being, which sometimes makes it easier for me to map out their changes over the course of the story, like how humans change over the course of their lifetime. To convey character arcs, I think just simple changes in their day-to-day life can show how they've changed. Or maybe the way they treat other people/talk/act. I hope this was helpful! :)
07/26/2021 - 10:45am
Wow awesome!! I started mine a little while ago and I'm helping my friend with theirs!! My teacher taught me a lot about it like, Have more than one main character(like one person telling the story but more main characters that are in the story a lot too), Use dialouge, make sure your dialouge is in its own paragraph, Make sure there are problems and challenges along the way, sometimes things have to get worse to get better, use capitals and puntucation, use spellcheck(it helps ALOT). make different characters have different stories and personalities, drama?, sometimes getting idea's from real life can help too! Or basing a character off of your friend! Make sure you know what type of book/story your writing(love, drama, fiction, non fiction, fantasy, etc.) Derfinitly read a ton of books too! It helps so much!! And good luck!!
07/26/2021 - 11:44am
The thing that worked best for me was to narrate some of the character's thought process as they grew, but leave most of their development up to their actions and emotions. As the character changes, they'll act and feel differently, even if they don't consciously realize the change. And I'll repeat it because it's so important: read tons! It really helps.
07/27/2021 - 5:37pm
"Hush" by Lewis M. is a really good spoken word poem. It can be found at Button Poetry, a YouTube channel. I highly recommend :)
just watched it 2 times bc it is SO good - he says so much (so well) about many things and it makes me think. the rhythm in his speech is kinda intoxicating and I love it!! ty for sharing
07/21/2021 - 8:13am
I LOVE button poetry!
07/22/2021 - 1:30pm
I'm glad you liked it! I can feel his pain and history with autism so deeply through his words. Button poetry has great stuff
07/22/2021 - 1:51pm
questionnaire!

1. what's your favorite summer fruit?
2. would you rather go on a trip or stay at home?
3. would you rather swim in a river or lake?
4. what do you like to do during a summer thunderstorm?
5. lemonade or ice-cold water?
6. beach or pool?
7. do you like campfires or barbecues better in summer?
8. all the windows open or the AC on?
9. summer in the mountains or the coast?
10. hiking or rafting?
Show all 6 comments
1. raspberries
2. go on a trip
3. in a lake!
4. play card games/listen to the rain
5. ice cold water
6. beach
7. campfires
8. windows open
9. what about both though
10. hiking
07/20/2021 - 2:05pm
1. mango
2. trip
3. lake
4. I just moved from California where raining in the summer is a miracle, so mostly just watching in awe at the lightning lol
5. depends
6. beach
7. barbecues
8. AC
9. both!
10. I've never been rafting but I want to!
07/20/2021 - 9:05pm
1. mango yay
2. road trip
3. i cant deciiiiiide
4. try to ignore it by doin work
5. lemonade
6. beach
7. barbeque
8. windows
9. coast
10. hiking
survey fun
07/21/2021 - 12:41am
1. Idk if it's really a summer fruit but plumbs
2. a little bit of both?
3. River for floating, lake for swimming
4. sit outside under the awning for rain but lightning? go inside and sit at the window
5. Lemonade
6. hmm, pool but w/o people
7. campfires in the rain are perfect
8. in the car all windows open but in the house AC
9. Coast
10. rafting
07/21/2021 - 10:29pm
1.peaches (i got my peaches out in Georgia oh ya ya LMAO)
2. Trip! i love traveling
3. prob a river bc lakes are gross, i swear all the beaches near me have blue-green algae /:
4. i LOVE thunderstorms so i watch them, from a safe distance of course
5. how about ice-cold lemonade haha
6. we have a pool at my house but a beach in Maine is 10000% more fun
7. Campfires! i love the smell of campfires
8. AC of course
9. coast probably
10. hmm i love both so i can't decide

07/22/2021 - 10:33am
1. mango (with strawberries being a close second)
2. good with both :)
3. i've never swam in either before... lake?
4. watch for a few minutes, think about YAY rain is socal and AHH lightning = more fire, then return to whatever i was doing
5. lemonade
6. beach
7. hm ig campfires? i don't think i've been to a summer one and while family bbq's are fun, i also really like watching fire
8. windows, but only in the evening when its cool
9. coast
10. raftingg
07/22/2021 - 1:58pm
just popping in to say hey!!! haven't been on here in a while since I was just at camp for a few weeks, but I'm back :) missed ywp when I was gone!
Hi! welcome back!! missed you charvermont ;D
07/21/2021 - 8:32pm
Saccharine cruelty is still cruelty. I miss simpler times. May this coming year save my soul.
I agree (nice use of 'saccharine'), we need to be vigilant against such cruelty. it may be hard to spot, in our friends, perhaps, but don't let bond destroy will.
Fighting! ✨
07/15/2021 - 1:30pm
Does anybody else think that the Guardian does some truly awesome journalism? Their articles cover both unique and urgent topics. They always have a fascinating angle, and they humanize their writing with a good dose of British self-deprecating humor. If you want to be introduced to a bunch of important issues you may never have heard of before, follow them on Instagram. I promise this post isn't sponsored lololol.
the guardian is ahh-mazing (my whole dream is be a british citizen), and i noticed these features with
the atlantic and npr as well.
07/14/2021 - 6:21am
YES! I just subscribed to the Atlantic. I spent like three hours yesterday perusing through their archives.
07/14/2021 - 3:17pm
don't get me started on how many atlantic videos i've watched *rolls eyes* (oo and never forget vox)
07/15/2021 - 1:54am
Group poem?
In replacement of blue candy
there's a sunrise on the hill...
Show all 11 comments
New,
like a freshly picked lemon just cut in half,
07/17/2021 - 5:40pm
Making for a picture prefect photo,
07/21/2021 - 6:47am
I had Doritos for the first time I ever 1 a d a half years and I was so happy! But I felt like they where my comfort food or maybe I was panicking since I had not had Doritos in so long and then they calmed me down. Does anyone feel like when they come back to something after so long they forget what they where missing and then it feels so good to have them?
Yep - literally all the time! I just had this store-specific cheese bread again that had been the best thing ever before COVID, but hadn’t had it in almost 2 yrs XD so. Good. Even though it’s the most simple thing - cheese melted on bread lol
07/12/2021 - 10:16am
When I make a blog entry I'm always asked what the form is. Like a poem, or nonfiction or YWP info. Is there a way to choose more than one? Like if I wrote something that's a poem and an essay. Does anyone know how to do that?
Yes, you can select up to two options.
07/05/2021 - 11:26am
Hi Geri K., yes, you can highlight the first one, then highlight + command for the second.
07/05/2021 - 4:16pm
Just wanna let you know, you are an amazing person. If things are hard or confusing and overwhelming, stop for a moment. Breathe. And know that stuff might not be okay, and it might not be for a long time, but it is what it is. Having a pity party might seem like the best option, but it's not. Hang out with your friends, watch Sherlock, life sucks, but Moriarty sucks more. Have a great day! :)