Kikiclimbs05's picture

the Bell Village

I biked as hard as I could, as fast as I could. I wouldn't stop, I couldn't. I had to get away from that house, away  from that village. The huge bells in the church began to chime with increasing fervor. Everyone would know what it meant. That was why I left. I can't understand the bells. My mother and my father could. They had no idea I couldnt. Then my father found out. He was eavesdropping on a conversation my friend Lena and I were having. I trust her with my life. My dad, not so much, seeing as hes the one trying to take it. Bell-deaf people don't last long in my village. Lena said she would come, but I can see she won't. dad waited till she was out of the house before he came at me, purple with rage, screamin. "How could you do this to us? HOW? come here you little liar, we'll see where all that gets you." I ran to my room and hid, but I could still hear him shouting outside. My mom came home soon, and he calmed down pretty quick after that. Didn't even tell her. When she asked why his voice was hoars, he said he was, "Screaming at the players on the television, honey." thats when I decided I was going to leave. I think dad knew I would, though. he went out for an hour or so, and when he came bcak he had a self satisfied smirk on his face. I didn't ask. I was running out of breath, and I wasn't halfway up the hill. I got up and walked, and about a half hour later I got to the top. I was so dark, I couldnt see my surroundings. I guess that's why I tripped over it. I got my flashlight out and flipped it on, and pointed it at the soft lumpy thing I had stumbled over. It was Lena, purple bruises aroud her neck, face, and arms. Now I know what my dad went out to do. Maybe the bell isnt tolling for me, but for lena. I couldnt hear her heart, even when I put my ear right up close to her chest. I screamed. And then I backed away as fast as I could, away from the town that took everything from me.
Kikiclimbs05's picture
About the Author: Kikiclimbs05