xjp2005_23's picture

Emerald Ash Boarer: Watch Out For That Pest!

The Emerald Ash Borer has been spotted in Vermont recently, and Vermonters are working to find a way to stop them.  This informational piece will teach you about the Emerald Ash Borer, and hopefully convince you to help out with stopping the green pest.

First of all, the Emerald Ash Borer kills ash trees, and one in four trees in Vermont, is an ash tree.  Ash trees are used to make different everyday items, such as baseball bats, bows, and handles for tools.  And, they also create oxygen like other trees. So, if all the ash trees die, not only will it affect the economy, but also our ecosystems as well.

Some things you can do to prevent the Emerald Ash Borer is, burn your wood where you buy it, so if your camping, and you buy wood, don't bring extra back home.  Or just buy what you need and save money, and the ecosystems of Vermont. Infected ash trees will have engraved/carved out lines in them, and would be dried out.

Finally, the amount of money that we would have to spend on the replantation would be insane.  According to, The Burlington Free Press,”EAB-related tree removal will cost  Green Mountain Power about one million dollars per year.” said spokeswoman Kristin Kelly.  So, be careful, otherwise you may have to pay the price, and keep an eye out for that green pest.

Works Cited
Baird, Joel Banner. “Ash Borers Are in Vermont and It's Going to Cost You.” Burlington Free Press, Burlington Free Press, 18 Sept.       2018,www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2018/09/18/tree-lovers-vermont-em....

xjp2005_23's picture
About the Author: xjp2005_23