Jen L.'s picture

The Oracle

I was walking from school when this weird, creepy looking lady blocked my path. I said excuse me to her, but she wouldn’t budge. She kept staring at me. It was weird. So I just decided to walk on the road to get around her. Before I could pass her, she moved lightning fast into my way again. I never knew someone could move that fast.

“Would you like something” I asked her.

“No” she said simply, “all I’m here to do is to warn you about a prophecy” and she kept staring.

“Okay then. Are you going to tell me it” I asked her. I didn’t really believe in prophecies, I just wanted her to get out of my way so I could go home.

“Are you ready to hear it” was her reply.

“Yeah, sure” I said.

“You don’t seem like it. Sit down and pay attention, or we’ll be stuck here forever”. I didn’t like how that sounded, so I sat down and tried to pay as close attention as I could. I didn’t want to, but the woman gave off a vibe that sent shivers down my spine and made me want to do whatever she ordered me to do, so that I didn’t get on her bad side.

“You do not know me, so let me introduce myself. We will meet each other in the future, multiple times” she told me. I just nodded.

“I am the Oracle” she said. Then there was an odd silence.

“Wait, that’s it? That’s your name” I asked, confused.

“Well, that’s what people call me, but that’s not the point” she said.

“Okay, well my name’s…”

“I know your name. You don’t have to tell me” she interrupted. “Let’s get to the important part. The prophecy.” I got a huge chill down my spine when she said that. I didn’t know why.

“The prophecy says that a monster from the sea with many heads will flatten the civilizations of Earth”.

“Woah. Okay, I’m gonna go home now if you don’t mind” and I walked off. The Oracle just watched me. How could I believe that woman? I don’t believe in monsters and I have no clue who the “Oracle” is. So I just decided to forget everything about that meeting.

A few weeks later, I regretted not listening to the Oracle. She was right. A monster attacked New York City. I travelled around, trying to find the Oracle. When I finally found her, three big cities were completely destroyed.

“How do I help” I asked the Oracle. She gave me a sheet of paper with an address on it. I found the place and when I walked in, everybody stared at me. They asked me weird questions like how I got in and which one I came from. I asked where the authorities were and they pointed to a big stone house. I opened the door and an ancient looking man said he was awaiting my arrival, and that we shall start my training immediately. So here I am, training to save the day from the evil monster.