Anything Can Happen

I awake to the sound of Sirens 
I jumped out of bed screaming to my mother what was the matter. 
My little siblings crying
Of all this chaos that my family is causing, 
The sirens are squealing with noise
Ear piercing
We aren't sure what's the matter 
Out of nowhere the heaviest wind occurs
My family described it as a freight train coming straight towards us
Rain started pouring down. 
Our front lawn, flooded in seconds 
What was happening 
Scared, terrified, traumatic 

The next part of the night I remember being inside of the bathtub, there were 3 mattresses stacked on top of us. My father said that somehow they would protect us. I'm not sure how a bathtub and a bed would protect us from 65 mile an hour winds, but I'm happy he was protecting us. My siblings and I stayed quiet while my parents talked about the storm. We had brought a tiny radio into the bath with us so we could hear the news. We were all huddled around it listening to what the broadcasters had to say.  They said there was a tornado warning and to stay clear of these following areas. They listed the entire East side of our town. Our school, our library, the fire station all of it was said to be in the path of the so-called tornado. 

As the batteries to the radio slowly die 
We listened to it as long as possible 
The tornado has redirected its path 
As the radio stated new roads 
Closer and closer to our home 
The voice getting quieter and quieter 
The battery getting lower and lower 
The winds getting louder and louder 
Our embrace getting tighter and tighter 
The sounds of shattering glass
My sister screaming 
And my dogs barking 
Frightened, deaf, loved

I was thrown into the air. I closed my eyes very tightly and prayed. I was young, there so much to do, so much to accomplish. I hit something hard with my back. I heard a crunch. My hands were tingling and my back got very hot. I screamed in pain but nothing came out. All I could hear was the wind. It was so fast and loud. My ears started to ring. All I had were my thoughts. I thought about what had happened. I thought about how I couldn't move. I thought what if I was dead. Then silence. Then the endless black nothingness. 
When I came to, I was in a bed. Not my bed in my house. A different bed. Bed with cords, wires, and machines. A bed with remotes on the sides of it, a bed that beeps. It was a tiny room, a room with 2 chairs and a small table. There was a door, with a clipboard and papers on a hook on the back. There were flowers in a pink vase on the table and I was holding a small brown teddy bear. My hands were still tingly, but my back was cold. My whole body was cold. I wanted a blanket. When I was looking around trying to make a scene of all of this, the door with the clipboard opened. There was a tall man. He had brown hair and brown eyes. He was wearing glasses and he had a small badge clipped to his shirt. I'm not sure how or why but I asked where I was. He said a hospital, you're in the hospital. 
Words can hurt 

These very few words sunk my heart 
My family rushed into the room 
They spent every last second with me 
Never left my side 
A broken back in 3 spots 
4 broken ribs 
A broken wrist 
Sprained ankle 
Concussion 
And swelling 
Swelling in the brain 
The doctor held my hand through the whole talk 
There was nothing they could do 
Dead 
Dead from a damn storm 
Dead from air 
Dead from a tree 
Dead 
Scared, happy, lifeless

Natalie.perry

More by Natalie.perry