Spain or Maine?

When I was little, I was always excited at Christmas time. I started to feel excited when we got our Christmas tree, and by Christmas Eve, I was so excited I could hardly sleep.

One year when I was little, I was watching the Santa tracker after the Christmas Eve pageant at my church. The Santa tracker is a website where you can track where Santa is on his Christmas Eve trip around the world. We were watching him fly around the world, and I didn't know the difference between Spain and Maine.

I had been watching it for a few minutes and I saw that he was in Spain and I thought that he was in Maine. I was thinking, “Oh no! I need to get to bed so then he can come!” I thought that if I wasn't in bed then, he wouldn't come! I ran to my room and fell asleep.

In the morning, I woke up at about 4:00 a.m. and went into my mom’s room and asked if we could go downstairs. She said, “No” because it was four in the morning and I had to go back to sleep. So I did. The same thing happened at 5:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Finally, at 6:00 a.m., my brothers, my mom and dad and I went to open the presents.

When we got downstairs, it turned out that Santa had come. The reindeer had a snack on the carrots and apples that we had left for them and Santa had a snack on the cookies and milk that we had left for him. The next year, I did know the difference between Spain and Maine, and it has given us a good laugh on Christmas Eve ever since!

Thetford Academy

YWP Instructor

More by Thetford Academy