Dying for Purple

Sarah had always wanted to dye her hair. She had never had a favourite colour, though, so she had trouble deciding. Eventually, she decided on green. She walked over to the store with her mum, but when she got there, she also saw a very pretty purple. and She spent 10 minutes standing there, trying to decide. She wanted it to be the perfect color, and they were both very nice. She decided she would get them both, and see how it went. So she walked up to the counter, bought the bottles, and went home to try them out.

When she got home, her friend called her, and invited her over. Sarah wasn’t happy to delay trying out the dye, but she went to her friend’s anyways, because what are friends for? So they watched a movie, had s’mores, and played games. By six, Sarah had to go back home, and then it was time for bed. “But, Mum! Can’t I try my dye first?”

“No, sweetie. Maybe tomorrow.”

“Fine.”

The next day, Sarah got to use her dye. She read the instructions, read them again, and squirted on the green one first. After massaging that one in, she squirted the purple one in. She looked in a mirror, and saw that her hair was a really ugly brown-green color. She couldn’t understand it. Both of the colors were pretty, so why wasn’t her hair? She tried to wash it out, but it wouldn’t go. She read the bottle again, and realized it was permanent dye. She went to her mum, and her mum asked what she had done to her hair.

She said, “I just put two pretty colors on, why did it turn out so ugly?”

Her mum explained that when you combine two colors, sometimes they turn weird. he would buy Sarah a paint set to explore. They went on Amazon together, and bought a paint set.

Sarah immediately started playing with the paint and mixed them alot. She realized that two colors could make very different colors.  She learned her primary and secondary colors, and that red and yellow make orange, and that orange was the opposite of blue.

After learning her colors, Sarah decided to buy a dark blue and a normal yellow, and combined them. This time it actually made a very pretty green, and she was very happy with it. She would be careful with her dye next time.

Thetford Academy

More by Thetford Academy