Taller than the Rest

Taller than the rest

Deep in the forest there is a group of trees in a clump. Each tree has its own name, its own trunk, branches, and leaves. Each tree is different, but they all stand tall together shading the ground below from the sun. All of the trees are unique, except one. This tree is smaller than the rest of the trees. This tree is skinnier than the others, it has fewer leaves and the only shade it can give is barely enough for a mouse. But there’s plenty of shade for the bugs and insects. This tree’s name is Bush. He is called Bush because he is a bush, not a tree.  

When humans aren't in the forest, the trees do all the things they like to do but can't when there are humans around. The trees sneeze and cough; they talk and yell. The trees sway in the cool wind and they sing. There are many things a tree can do. Bush is not a tree. He wishes that the tall trees would include him in all of their tree like things, but they always remind him, “Bush, you can never do the things we do because you are not a tree and you will never be one.” This makes Bush sad.

One day, while Bush was taking a nap, he was awoken by loud noises and men and women talking in loud voices. These people were wearing bright red shirts and had earmuffs on. “Lumberjacks,” Bush thought. He had heard tales about them but never in his life had ever seen one. They were chopping down trees nearby and were looking over at the group of tall trees next to bush. No one noticed Bush. For once Bush was glad he wasn't noticed, he didn’t want to be chopped down like the other trees.

Later that day, when all the trees around Bush were gone, he sneezed and coughed, he talked to no one in particular (and yelled, too). He even swayed in the wind and he sang. Bush started to grow. He grew so tall he could see mountains. He grew so tall he towered over the rest of the trees in the forest. Bush was no longer a bush; he was a tree.

Thetford Academy

More by Thetford Academy