Writing on the Roof #4 - Writing like the Beat Poets

WRITING ON THE ROOF is a series of writing workshops hosted by Young Writers Project in the rooftop conference room of the Karma Bird House, YWP's home base, at 47 Maple Street, Burlington, VT. Seating is limited, so please sign up today

WORKSHOP #4: WRITING LIKE THE BEAT POETS
WHEN: Saturday, March 16, 10 am - 11:30 am
WHERE: Rooftop conference room, Karma Bird House, 47 Maple St., Burlington. Take the elevator from Maglianero Cafe to the third floor and follow the signs up to the top
HOW TO PAY: On the sign-up form, you can pay the $10 registration fee through PayPal or choose the scholarship option.

SIGN UP HERE!

ABOUT THIS WORKSHOP: Writing Like the Beat Poets

In this workshop, we will explore the work of the Beat Poets, who emerged from the literary counterculture of the1950s and included Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, and William S. Burroughs. Quoting Plato, Allen Ginsberg once said of the Beat Poets, “When the mode of the music changes, the walls of the city shake.” In this workshop, we’ll learn about the midcentury counterculture Beat Poets and how they shook the city walls of their generation, influenced poetry and music, and impacted decades of American culture. We’ll practice some of their techniques, including Ginsberg’s “first thought, best thought,” Burroughs’ cut ups, and a rejection of traditional meter and form. We’ll write new poems that capture the Beat Generation’s spirit and aim to view life in America in a new way.

ABOUT ANGELA PALM

Angela Palm is the author of Riverine: A Memoir from Anywhere but Here (Graywolf Press). Riverine was an Indie Next selection, winner of the 2014 Graywolf Press Nonfiction Prize, a Kirkus Best Book of 2016, and a Powerful Memoir by Powerful Women selected by Oprah. Angela was a Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference fellow in Narrative Nonfiction, a finalist for the Vermont Book Award and the Indiana Emerging Author Award in 2017, and runner up for the Stanford Library Soroyan International Writing Prize.

Her work has been published in Tin House, Longreads, Ecotone, Creative Nonfiction, At Length Magazine, Passages North, Brevity, Paper Darts, Epiphany, and elsewhere. She has taught creative writing workshops and classes at Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference, Champlain College, New England Young Writers’ Conference, the Kentucky Women Writers’ Conference, The Writers’ Barn, The Porch - Nashville, The Renegade Writers’ Collective, and elsewhere. Angela works as a manuscript consultant at Grub Street in Boston and lives in Burlington. She is a member of the board of directors of Young Writers Project.

Join YWP and Angela Palm on March 16 on the Rooftop of the Karma Bird House! Don't miss this! SIGN UP TODAY!
Event Date: 
Saturday, March 16, 2019