My Childhood Home

My childhood home is filled with plants,

plants that we never water

but are somehow still alive.

Its island is littered with junk mail,

different types of olive oil,

stray flakes of salt,

and packages of wildflower seed.

It is filled with special love presents

and house shoes.

It holds nightly episodes of Jeopardy,

rare old books,

and curated tchotchkes.

Old mugs,

empty cookie tins,

salt shakers,

Turkish rugs,

acoustic rock music,

and love.

My childhood home is filled with love.




17 years old

More by gracebats

  • Theology

    Religion is girlhood

    God is a teenage girl screaming the names of the people she used to love at the sky

    Worship is dancing and celebrating while still being upset

  • Mirror, Mirror

    When you are a teenager,
    Every mirror is a kaleidoscope.
    It is rare that you will see just one image of yourself,
    But many fragmented pieces staring back at you.
    We never know who we are, because what we see isn’t true.
  • A List

    If my body is 60% water, the other 40% is made out of / Taylor Swift lyrics / poems I will never finish / speeches I want to write / directions to my sister's college / people I wish I could forget / sugary sweet iced coffee / really nice th