kilburng1's picture

one dark night

It was a dark and cold night in October. I was walking down a moonlight path when I heard a faint noise. It sounded like screeching. I decided that whatever it was, it was far away and I was probably only scared because Halloween was on my mind. I had just had dinner at my grandma’s house and was walking the three back blocks to Creeton street. My little brother had stayed behind at my grandma's for a bit. He liked the music room she had and he decided to practice his chorus music a little longer. I  was taking a shortcut and there were no street lights on the stone pathway. I quickened my pace as I walked through the shadow from a patch of bushes. Then I heard it again. This time it was louder and more distinct. I froze in my steps, spun around, and listened carefully. Screeeeeech! Now the noise sounded near enough to be at the other end of the path. In fear, I stepped back off the trail, hid in a bush, and crouched down on all fours. My green shirt and jeans kept me hidden thoroughly. I could hear the noise getting nearer and nearer. I held perfectly still and peered through the leaves blocking my face. The houses on either side of the trail all had their lights off. A piece of long honey blond hair fell in front of my lift eye but I didn't dare risk shaking the bush to fix it. That’s when it happened. I heard a soft humming. I could've sworn I had heard the toon before. Then I saw an oddly shaped figure coming toward me. It was moving fast too. The figure was covered in shadows and I couldn't make out what it was. As came even closer to my bush the screeching continued. I could feel my heart beating. I tried to relax but the moment was too scary. The shape was only about 25 feet away now. Then I see it clearly. It’s my brother riding home from Grandmas. I’m so relieved I jump out of the bush.

“Ahhhhhh!” My brother screams.